Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

On 11/9/2021 at 12:03 PM, DCPIV said:

I highly advise getting the eMed (proctored) tests to take at home either as your primary choice or backup.  They are very easy to do.

You can order packs of 2 or 3 at https://store.optum.com/celebrity-cruises/ or you can order a 6-pack from emed.com

The proctored test require reliable internet, for us shipboard is often better!   Our Walgreens has gone to 7 days ahead rather than the three they were in Feb.  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

We were in Sicily in March. We took our BINAXNow kits and used them before the tour and before our flight to the US. The only issue is the hotel must have good internet. Fortunately, our hotels did and the App made it easy to prove we were negative. Most of the other tour members made a reservation at a nearby pharmacy and took the antigen test. It took 15 minutes and was only 15 Euros. The hotel can help you make an appointment. Other friends had needed a test in Spain and it was 30 Euros per person.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CinciCruise said:

We were in Sicily in March. We took our BINAXNow kits and used them before the tour and before our flight to the US. The only issue is the hotel must have good internet. Fortunately, our hotels did and the App made it easy to prove we were negative. Most of the other tour members made a reservation at a nearby pharmacy and took the antigen test. It took 15 minutes and was only 15 Euros. The hotel can help you make an appointment. Other friends had needed a test in Spain and it was 30 Euros per person.

Was the internet goof enough on the ship?

Hi, 

question for all UK to  USA travellers please. 

Parents just booked a last  minute cruise from New York. They will fly the day before the cruise so have to get a supervised antigen test within one day of the flight to New York. (They are using doc HQ) 

They need a negative supervised antigen to be allowed to board the ship taken within 2 days before boarding ship so if they timed it right could one test cover it all ? 

thanks 

Edited by star81

1 minute ago, star81 said:

Hi, 

question for all UK to  USA travellers please. 

Parents just booked a last  minute cruise from New York. They will fly the day before the cruise so have to get a supervised antigen test within one day of the flight to New York. (They are using doc HQ) 

They need a negative supervised antigen to be allowed to board the ship taken within 2 days before boarding ship so if they timed it right could one test cover it all ? 

Yep, that's a good plan.

10 minutes ago, mkolbicka said:

We ordered the Celebrity tests.  Do you have to make an appointment to take the test since it is proctored.  Will be taking test from hotel in Rome

Do you mean the at-home proctored tests?  If so, you don't need to make an appointment (indeed, you can't), just login when you're ready to test.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:42 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

Thank, you I am very aware of the proctored tests.  After watching videos of the process, I am a little apprehensive about doing it, but probably will order them as back ups.

I would have to use my phone as our internet service is not always reliable on the computer, and even the people I watched, who seemed to be very phone savvy,  had some difficulties.  We have such a short window on Friday before we have to leave for the airport that it becomes iffy.

We, like you, live in a very rural area: a valley where even cell coverage isn’t available!  

I remember Don of Don’s Family Vacations mention a paid place across from the Embassy Suites, I believe in Miami, near the port.  Canada at the time required PCR test to return home and he found the group efficient and reasonably priced, at least to Canadians!  

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Chloe168 said:

Has anyone that cruised gotten covid test for travel at walgreen , cvs etc or any urgent care?  Is it covered by insurance?  

Walgreens is covered at least by Medicare, but there are insurance they use too.  We used them for a trip in February and had one test delayed.  I got mine in about one hour so we went back and the pharmacy printed a report.  At about 22 hours that email came through.  

the test we used was the NAAT test.  Today we had another test done that isn’t required for travel, at least as of the time we took the test.  Both test reportswere waiting in our inboxes when we got home one hour later.  

we have friends in Florida that regularly use Walgreens and sail an average of once a month. They’ve had a test late a few times but never over 24 hours.And their pharmacy will also print a report if they need one. 

8 hours ago, Chloe168 said:

Has anyone that cruised gotten covid test for travel at walgreen , cvs etc or any urgent care?  Is it covered by insurance?  

our insurance does not cover for travel.  We got the free IHealth Covid kits.  I think anyone can order them.  I noticed they can proctor the kits.  Went on their website and tried to get a proctored test for a kit I already have and it is SOLD OUT!  Not sure if you order from them if it is the same.  Too late for me to order, so after an extensive google search, there is a testing company in Canada that is VERY responsive and it is only $20 plus tax to schedule a proctor test.  They let you see the dates avail. before ordering.  I spent hours trying to fig. out what to do.  This was my most reasonable choice.  I looked them up with the BB bureau and they are good.  Also, they test US people also.  They are based in Canada.  I made sure of that before I scheduled a zoom test.  Hope this saves some people time!  I spent most of my morning on phone with insurance and different test companies.  Quest Diagnostic is the next best choice but more $$.

11 minutes ago, Snowey88 said:

our insurance does not cover for travel.  We got the free IHealth Covid kits.  I think anyone can order them.  I noticed they can proctor the kits.  Went on their website and tried to get a proctored test for a kit I already have and it is SOLD OUT!  Not sure if you order from them if it is the same.  Too late for me to order, so after an extensive google search, there is a testing company in Canada that is VERY responsive and it is only $20 plus tax to schedule a proctor test.  They let you see the dates avail. before ordering.  I spent hours trying to fig. out what to do.  This was my most reasonable choice.  I looked them up with the BB bureau and they are good.  Also, they test US people also.  They are based in Canada.  I made sure of that before I scheduled a zoom test.  Hope this saves some people time!  I spent most of my morning on phone with insurance and different test companies.  Quest Diagnostic is the next best choice but more $$.

Walgreen is free..don’t know if that helps or not

11 minutes ago, Snowey88 said:

Thank you, but, don't you have to tell them that you were exposed or think you have Covid?

I don’t know. I was told by the cruise planner when I booked this cruise it was 60% full..called this morning…80%.  Sounds like they are cramming them in.

1 hour ago, Snowey88 said:

With all due respect, they are in the cruise business.  I am not going to worry anymore except, LOL, for our tests tomorrow at noon.  It is what it is.  

We cancelled. Just cannot take any chances. 

Every US state and each country has different rules for coverage of 'free' tests.  Celebrity also has different rules when boarding in US vs Europe.  Need to research for your specific needs lol!

I am not techie and was able Abbott-Binax proctured test easily with my spouse.  Did from home with good wifi and used iPad with no issues.  Order thru celebrity and were promptly delivered.  

Wifi on Apex was terrible in my opinion and most people I spoke with were complaining as well.

Did a home test I had on hand before returning to work, just to be safe.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

We, like you, live in a very rural area: a valley where even cell coverage isn’t available!  

I remember Don of Don’s Family Vacations mention a paid place across from the Embassy Suites, I believe in Miami, near the port.  Canada at the time required PCR test to return home and he found the group efficient and reasonably priced, at least to Canadians!  

Good luck.

Yep, Don mentioned a place by Embassy Suites, but it was near the port in Ft Lauderdale. I think it was called Lab Doctors & at that time, he said it was $49.

On 11/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, C-Dragons said:

Yes, those are the steps needed needed to be done prior to the test.

Why do you need separate email address?  What if you had 5 kids, and three under 8?  So my DH would need his own email address?  He is going to balk at that!  We will be tsting in Italy...I guess he will need one just in case.  Have a great trip!  See you in October!

Edited by Lastdance

23 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Why do you need separate email address?  What if you had 5 kids, and three under 8?  So my DH would need his own email address?  He is going to balk at that!  We will be tsting in Italy...I guess he will need one just in case.  Have a great trip!  See you in October!

From what I recall, each person has to be registered with a separate email address to receive their individual test results.

Looking forward to October! 😊

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Thanks 1