Skagway - great spots around town?

mrsfecura

Our White Pass RR tour will put us back in Skagway at around 130pm.  Our ship is in port until 5pm.  What is there to do around town?  We'd love to get something to eat, we like trying new beers and foods and shopping at cool local places.  Is there anything in Skagway that we shouldn't miss before we get back on the ship?  Thanks!

There is the Skagway Brewing Company that’s fun to visit for drinks and apps.  Try the Spruce Tip beer—a unique taste!

After eating relatively bland cruise ship food, we love to eat at the Starfire Restaurant next door to the brewing company.  The Thai food is pretty good!  We’re just hoping that it will still be open next summer.

I also suggest the Skagway Brewing Company.

One of the units of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park is located in Skagway.  Through the years the National Park Service has acquired a number of the old buildings.   A number now are small museums open to the public.  

• Like 1

The walking tour of the National Park Service of Skagway is worth doing. You can reserve tickets online.

I did eat at the Skagway Brewing company. I don't remember much of it - I guess it wasn't bad or I would have remembered that.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

I also recommend the Skagway Brewing Company. I enjoyed a flight of beers so as to get a taste of several. I ran into a couple from my ship at the bar, and we had a good time talking and drinking. This summer, the National Park Service sites were not operating. I've taken tours on past cruises. I had time to walk the trail to Yakutania Point. It's an easy walk from town. The walk to the Gold Rush Cemetery is also very easy (and a different direction). 

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 9:12 AM, mrsfecura said:

Our White Pass RR tour will put us back in Skagway at around 130pm.  

I'm thinking about going on the White Pass RR tour in Aug 2022, but haven't booked yet. 

It looks like we have to go to the White Pass Depot office to check-in for the tour which is too far away for my elderly MIL to walk.  Are there any taxis, shuttles or any other forms of transportation to travel from pier to depot?

4 minutes ago, flwinejunkie said:

I'm thinking about going on the White Pass RR tour in Aug 2022, but haven't booked yet. 

It looks like we have to go to the White Pass Depot office to check-in for the tour which is too far away for my elderly MIL to walk.  Are there any taxis, shuttles or any other forms of transportation to travel from pier to depot?

While I don't find the walk from any of the piers to the White Pass depot office difficult I don't have any mobility issues either.  But if you book a WP&YRR excursion directly with your cruise line you will board the rail cars not at the depot, but essentially right beside your ship.  Much, much closer than the depot.  And while I haven't checked recently, the price for booking through the cruise line wasn't, at least in my opinion, that much more than booking directly with the SP&YRR.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

While I don't find the walk from any of the piers to the White Pass depot office difficult I don't have any mobility issues either.  But if you book a WP&YRR excursion directly with your cruise line you will board the rail cars not at the depot, but essentially right beside your ship.  Much, much closer than the depot.  And while I haven't checked recently, the price for booking through the cruise line wasn't, at least in my opinion, that much more than booking directly with the SP&YRR.

Carnival offers an excursion to White Pass Summit, but I was looking at an independent excursion that goes to Lake Bennet in addition to the summit.  So that's why we would need to get to the depot on our own.

If nobody else has any suggestions and I can't find a solution, I'll probably go with the ship tour.

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, flwinejunkie said:

Carnival offers an excursion to White Pass Summit, but I was looking at an independent excursion that goes to Lake Bennet in addition to the summit.  So that's why we would need to get to the depot on our own.

If nobody else has any suggestions and I can't find a solution, I'll probably go with the ship tour.

Thanks for your help!

How far can your MIL walk?  In the past there have been "golf carts" to take folks to the cruise ship booked railroad cars.  Independent tour operators meet their clients at the entrance of the piers.  Prior to covid-19 there was been a small shuttle bus which has circulated through the small community of Skagway but I really don't know if that will be much help for you since I have questions about the timing.  By that I mean, as someone who has been to Skagway a number of times, that I am not clear that the schedule is fixed (ie, the shuttle stops are reliable regarding times).  Skagway is so small there won't be many folks interested in operating Lyft, Uber or taxi services

On 11/21/2021 at 6:21 PM, flwinejunkie said:

Look at booking a tour with Chilkoot directly. We did their bus up train down....and the Chilkoot shuttle picked us up at the dock. Their private group tours hold approx. 12 people per bus....easy to book directly with them and get added to a group.

On 11/25/2021 at 1:42 AM, Ashland said:

Look at booking a tour with Chilkoot directly. We did their bus up train down....and the Chilkoot shuttle picked us up at the dock. Their private group tours hold approx. 12 people per bus....easy to book directly with them and get added to a group.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 9:44 PM, flwinejunkie said:

Thanks for your help!

@flwinejunkie

White Pass and Yukon Railroad

Update -- A White Pass & Yukon Railway bridge went out during the last week of July due to a rockslide.  Since that time, Yukon Railroad service has conducted an abbreviated round trip excursion to Mile 14.  A new bridge replacement project is planned at Mile 15.  Without the new bridge, you cannot complete the journey to the White Pass Summit at Mile 20.4.  Plus, service to Fraser, Carcross, Bennett Lake and the Yukon Territory has been postponed until the 2022 summer season.  Hope the new bridge is completed for the summer of 2022.   Look for updates and plan accordingly.     John  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John99 said:

@flwinejunkie

White Pass and Yukon Railroad

Update -- A White Pass & Yukon Railway bridge went out during the last week of July due to a rockslide.  Since that time, Yukon Railroad service has conducted an abbreviated round trip excursion to Mile 14.  A new bridge replacement project is planned at Mile 15.  Without the new bridge, you cannot complete the journey to the White Pass Summit at Mile 20.4.  Plus, service to Fraser, Carcross, Bennett Lake and the Yukon Territory has been postponed until the 2022 summer season.  Hope the new bridge is completed for the summer of 2022.   Look for updates and plan accordingly.     John  

@John99

Wow, thanks for the update!  I don't see anything on their website about the bridge being out.  They don't have any summit or Bennett Lake trips available to be booked until end of May 2022, so maybe they're hoping thenew  bridge wil be one by then.

Where did you find the info about the rockslide?  Wondering if that would be a good source for updates in the future.

Appreciate that you provided this info, because I was thinking about buyting this excursion as a Christmas gift.  Now I'll hold off.

Mary Jon

On 12/8/2021 at 1:53 PM, flwinejunkie said:

@John99

Wow, thanks for the update!  I don't see anything on their website about the bridge being out.  They don't have any summit or Bennett Lake trips available to be booked until end of May 2022, so maybe they're hoping thenew  bridge wil be one by then.

Where did you find the info about the rockslide?  Wondering if that would be a good source for updates in the future.

Appreciate that you provided this info, because I was thinking about buyting this excursion as a Christmas gift.  Now I'll hold off.

Mary Jon

@flwinejunkie  Hi Mary Jon.  Thanks for the question.  You can check 2 wed sites listed below.  Until there is clarity for 2022 season -- good idea to hold off with the Xmas gift.  John

1)  White Pass & Yukon Railroad -- Operational Updates

2)  Trip advisor

Bridge OUT for 2021 Season - Ride Is Shortened - Review of White Pass & Yukon Route Railway, Skagway, AK - Trip advisor

Updates - White Pass & Yukon Route Railway (wpyr.com)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 5:35 PM, John99 said:

@flwinejunkie  Hi Mary Jon.  Thanks for the question.  You can check 2 wed sites listed below.  Until there is clarity for 2022 season -- good idea to hold off with the Xmas gift.  John

1)  White Pass & Yukon Railroad -- Operational Updates

2)  Trip advisor

Bridge OUT for 2021 Season - Ride Is Shortened - Review of White Pass & Yukon Route Railway, Skagway, AK - Trip advisor

Updates - White Pass & Yukon Route Railway (wpyr.com)

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

We are also cruising to Alaska the end of May 2022. Would like to book a whitepass rail/bus tour. We will be in Skagway on a Sunday, which apparently limits us to which tours are available. Can anyone recommend an independent tour company that you were happy with as Princess doesn’t offer a combo tour?

TIA

2 hours ago, WeLove2Cruise76 said:

We are also cruising to Alaska the end of May 2022. Would like to book a whitepass rail/bus tour. We will be in Skagway on a Sunday, which apparently limits us to which tours are available. Can anyone recommend an independent tour company that you were happy with as Princess doesn’t offer a combo tour?

TIA

See my post #14 above. A great company.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:09 AM, ilovesparky13 said:

I’m surprised that no one mentioned Klondike Doughboy. Go over there and get yourself a massive fry bread covered in cinnamon sugar. 😁

This must be new since the last time we were there...sounds yummy.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we have had three cancelled HAL Alaskan cruises, we missed our favorite place in Skagway -- the glass blowing place.  Unfortunately, our WE ARE GOING cruise in July doesn't stop there.  I keep hearing rumors that Carnival "bought" Skagway -- can that be true?