Atlantic Coast Adventure Q133Q 15th Nov 2021 - Jimbo's Blog

rakkor

It's that time again and I'll be reporting on  my latest cruise on my blog https://blog.rakkor.uk as well as publishing it here as well.- If you have any questions please feel free to ask anmd I'll answer when I get a chance

Here's the first Pre-Cruise report

Atlantic Coast Adventure Q133Q 15th Nov 2021

Things are starting to get exciting again, here at Chez Jimbo. The suitcases have been retrieved from the shed, dresses and suits are starting to appear, hanging full length from wardrobe doors in the spare room. Labels, eTickets and a myriad of COVID related documentation is sitting on the printer ready for fileing in the holiday folder, ready to be produced on demand at the port.

It’s time for another cruise, one with real ports and the opportunity to see and step onto a foreign land for the first time since late 2019. Better than that it’s also our first foray into the Grills, Cunard’s more exclusive suite offering. We’re in the Princess Grill this time which is the lower grade of the Grills suites, more Business Class, than the “First Class” experience of the Queen’s Grill, there’s no butler in the Princess Grill suites but the promotion literature from Cunard, does make it very attractive though.

“This is what luxury feels like.
From the moment you step into your Princess Grill Suite, it is clear that this is a world apart from the rest.

Fresh fruit, sparkling wine and chocolate are awaiting upon your arrival. Sweeping ocean views invite you to spend time on your balcony, simply sipping coffee or getting lost in a good book.

Ready for a rest?
A curated pillow menu ensures you fall right into deep relaxation whenever the mood strikes”

I’ve always wanted to travel in the Grills, at least once, just to see how much better it can be than the already excellent Britannia experience.

We’ve a fairly port heavy itinerary, with six ports in the 12 night cruise, Lisbon, Cadiz, Valencia, Cartagena, Malaga and Gibraltar. Hopefully there will be some good weather on offer to push back Winter for a few weeks.

I’ve taken a pre-cruise Lateral Flow Test, to make sure that being in the Office earlier this week hasn’t infected me. This one is good and I’m negative which is a relief for Jane who has convinced herself we’re going to test positive when boarding. We’re both double jabbed and boostered so it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll be taking another before heading down to Jane’s dad’s place in the New Forest on Sunday, but Jane won’t be truly happy until she gets the all clear text in the Ocean Terminal on Monday morning.

• Like 6

You are lucky to be off again so soon, and it will be most interesting to hear how things have changed from the last voyage. Princess Grill is very nice in almost all ways, but I was less than enamoured with the cabins on the Vistas, which aren't wide enough to give the feeling of spaciousness.

Have a lovely, lovely time, which I look forward to enjoying vicariously.

We are taking the Atlantic Coast cruise on Dec 13th so I will be following along with interest. One question I have for you is actually a pre-cruise query and is regarding the second day covid test on return. I’ve read the email sent by Cunard and I’m finding it all a little disconcerting.  Can you tell me how you went about obtaining the test?  Although we live in the NE we will be staying over near Southampton when we disembark so presumably that means booking a test with a company in that area as the test has to be returned to them. I’m so grateful for any advice. 

My first port of call was Which to get their advice - I Chose their second choice as I couldn't figure out how to get the cheapest to work for my dates. We bought these from Source Bioscience and these are now sitting waiting for our return to test. In your case you could just take them with you and use when required.

They give the Passenger Locator Form references on the order confirmation email.

Edited by rakkor

22 hours ago, sandancer said:

We are taking the Atlantic Coast cruise on Dec 13th so I will be following along with interest. One question I have for you is actually a pre-cruise query and is regarding the second day covid test on return. I’ve read the email sent by Cunard and I’m finding it all a little disconcerting.  Can you tell me how you went about obtaining the test?  Although we live in the NE we will be staying over near Southampton when we disembark so presumably that means booking a test with a company in that area as the test has to be returned to them. I’m so grateful for any advice. 

Hi,

We are also on the same sailing as you, 13th December. 

We sailed Regal Princess at the end of October and also had to do the 2 day lateral flow test. Although it all seems rather complicated first time around, I am confident that it will be much easier this time so any questions, please ask.

We booked the 2 day lateral flow test from Testingforall at £19 each. I notice that they are now £17 (as they seem to be competitive and have lowered their prices). The reference number for your order needs to go on your passenger locator form (again, complicated but should be easier second time around). Testingforall posted out my test the day I got back into Southampton and it arrived the next morning. It needs to be done by day 2 (I think they count the first day you arrive back as day 0) and then a photo of the result needs to be uploaded to Testingforall website. Within a few hours they then email you a certificate of your result.

One word of warning, please read the instructions for photographing and uploading the photo of the negative test carefully. It has to be photographed at the 15 minute point and then uploaded before the 30 minute point (as results are not valid after that time). I didn’t upload mine until 32 minutes but they allowed it as I had proof of the time I had taken the photos.  I didn’t read the instructions properly!!

Hope to see you on board.

Tracey 

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2021 at 10:33 AM, sandancer said:

Sandancer - although I have not had to use the system yet, you seem to be saying that you believe you have to physically return the completed test to the supplier, hence you must choose a company in Southampton. That is surely not the case - once you have taken the test you can email the results as Jones721 did, can't you?

Yes, that’s correct I did think we had to physically return the test to a test centre but I now know better. The test result has to be emailed and then posted back to

the lab within 2 days of returning to the UK. We are not using the same company as Jones721 but I think it will be the same procedure. 

Edited by sandancer

35 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Yes, that’s correct I did think we had to physically return the test to a test centre but I now know better. The test result has to be emailed and then posted back to

the lab within 2 days of returning to the UK. We are not using the same company as Jones721 but I think it will be the same procedure. 

If you have ordered a PCR, then that goes back to the lab. If it is lateral flow (as is now the case) you administer that at home and then upload proof to the company’s website. They should, in due course, provide you with a certificate should anyone need to check. Do you have to send yours in by post as well?

Tracey

Yes, you can if you want - they aren’t that much more expensive. I test twice a week for work so am used to self testing. You can pick up free lateral flow tests from the pharmacist and take a box on holiday if you want. I have a box ready to take with me if I need to check at all during the cruise  in case I develop any symptoms.

Tracey

PS If you test positive during the lateral flow then I am sure that you would book a free PCR test at a testing centre, so I am not sure why Cunard would say that?? But PCRs are more reliable so some choose to do this rather than a lateral flow.

Embarkation - Monday 15th Nov

First things first, I headed into New Milton for my cruise haircut and to get some last minute toiletries, this was more of a time waster to allay the pre Covid test nerves than actually needing anything. Eleven AM arrived soon enough and it was time to leave Jane’s dad’s for the short drive in to Southampton and Dock Gate 10 for the Covid tests. 

The queues at the Mayflower test centre were non existent and after showing our passports and Covid vaccination documentation plus confirming our names, DOB and mobile numbers it was swab up the nose time and headed off to Dock Gate 4 and Ocean Terminal to drop off the car and bags.

We we’re pinged by text that we were Negative just after arriving and proceeded quickly through check-in only to find that the ship wasn’t quite ready. We ended up waiting about 30 minutes before being ushered through security and arriving on board. 

Even though it’s only a couple of months since our last cruise it was very nice to be back aboard the Queen Elizabeth. 

We’re taking our first cruise in the Princess Grill this time, so I was very excited to see how much nicer a Grills cabin is over Britannia Balcony. I wasn’t disappointed, cabin 5001  is huge, and we are welcomed with a bottle of Pol Acker, 4 chocolate truffles and a couple of bottles of Hilton still water, this last addition was very pleasing for Jane as she’d forgotten her water. 

While we waited for our bags to arrive we decided to head up to the Concierge desk to check on our wine package and sort out some missing, shareholders OBC which had disappeared off my booking.

Then we headed off to the PG restaurant for lunch. We have a table for two this time as we aren’t sure how or if a larger table would work in the Grills and in these Covid times. It was also nice to meet with Karen an Sachin who will be looking after us for all of our cruise. The quality of lunch was no different from Britannia and was excellent as usual.

After lunch it was back to the room where our bags were waiting. I’m assuming that Jane has “Tardis” bags because it’s taken her three times as long to unpack than it took me, for the same number of suitcases and one fewer suit/dress carriers!

6716BD54-0C24-40B7-AAFF-2C0711FCD954.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Our First Dinner

Dinner in the Princess Grill was as good as expected. The first revelation was that there’s two menus on offer for dinner. There is an “A La Carte” menu the doesn’t change and has favourites like rack of lamb and duck a l’orange. Then there’s the  daily menu, which I assume is the same as l, or similar to, the Britannia menu and this is the one that changes daily. We ordered from this one this time having a very nice ham hock terrine to start and New York Strip as a main followed by cheesecake. The second revelation was an amuse bouche (sp) as an appetiser - tuna tartare which was lovely. The third and last revelation was a proper cheese trolly. Jane indulged in this and I was very pleased to help her out when she over ordered.

6DC5977A-2CC4-4EE0-9D30-CCF8CFB45522.jpeg

We also disembarked yesterday. Had our usual room (8181) and couldn't fault anything.

Butler was excellent and arranged a wee party for us with a big tray of canapes, after all, we were getting hungry.

Good to see all the usual suspects in the QG and around the ship. Sandro and the team did a great job looking after us.

The only downside was the Covid cut backs. e.g. no Caribbean band, no lunchtime music in the pub, no darts, no event proper invitations (Verandah etc.), no cocktail parties etc. etc., but, hey! it was a holiday.

Team photo 2021:

Stewart

Sandro & Team.jpg

• Like 1

First Sea Day - 16th November

We woke to grey skys and a slight swell as we headed across the top of Brittany. My alarm had woken me at 06:45 and I climbed into my running gear to head off to the gym, oh dear! Lockdown hasn’t been kind to me and I looked like “Little Britain’s Matt Lucas as the Only Gay in the Village” I should have tried it on before packing it. I’ll try again tomorrow with a cotton t-shirt which won’t be ideal, but I really need to make the effort. 

Jane stayed in bed as she’s booked breakfast in the room, apparently the choice is better, in PG, but I never looked. I headed up to the PG restaurant as I wanted to try their breakfast. The have a more extensive menu again with item like devilled kidneys and more egg choices than you can shake a stick at. Needless to say I had prunes and figs followed by kippers and poached eggs.

We have a table of eight sat by us at dinner, we like a large table for dinner as we get to meet interesting people and I have new blood to bore with my war stories.  I had a chat with one of the diners there and they are all travelling independently and have a loose arrangement to meet at 19:30 so that would suit us. It may be this is the case as well with larger tables in the new world order in Britannia - I shall have to ask.

The first of the insights lectures on the cruise is Dave Mallinder and his series on the Singers of the Great American Songbook. Today, Nat King Cole. Things have changed from our August cruise on QE, we still have to wear masks in the theatre, but the seat restrictions have been removed and lectures are now 15 minutes apart rather than the 30 they were previously.

The next lecture was Dr Sheona Urquhart from the Royal Astronomical Society all about early space flight pioneers. Unlike David Mallinder, the veritable Doctor is a new speaker to me.

The login issues are causing me all kinds of problems trying to post - previously I had to log out and back in again to post new content, now when I try to log out I get an “ooops there’s been an error” message and have to close all the way down and restart a new browser. Anyone have a fix for this as it’s killing my internet minutes ?

Edited by rakkor

12 minutes ago, rakkor said:

The login issues are causing me all kinds of problems trying to post - previously I had to log out and back in again to post new content, now when I try to log out I get an “ooops there’s been an error” message and have to close all the way down and restart a new browser. Anyone have a fix for this as it’s killing my internet minutes ?

I'm afraid not but would it help if I copied and pasted from your blog rather than you having to post twice ?

You can keep the login.com page active and open a new tab. That way you can return to the login page to log out.

I didn't use it this time, but you used to be able to use "1.1.1.1" as an alternative to log out.

Keep the posts coming please.

Stewart

have a great trip Rakkor, good luck and fair winds, looking forward to reading the complete blog.

5001 is a great choice, I had 5002 on the 2020 South American trip and will have it for the full world in 2023. They are a step up from the normal Princess Suite almost Queens - and that forward facing window is a great bonus.

enjoy....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1