B2B cruise on MSC & Carnival

leojagpreet

Hi everyone,

We are UK based family, will be flying to Miami for x mas cruise.

In past we have done b2b cruises & enjoyed.

We had few cruises cancelled by Carnival because of covid, so we booked b2b msc (4 days cruise) & carnival sunrise (5 days cruise). At that time pcr test was not a requirement.

We will have pcr test for msc cruise, now problem comes how can we do test coming out of msc cruise & than board on carnival cruise?

Any help/advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Airport probably does testing. Carnival is doing some limited testing, and I wouldnt be surprised if miami. 

I've been afraid to schedule a b2b even with 1 day between for this very reason. Carnival does not do testing when we get off to do another line ... too close for comfort for my nerves.

On 11/13/2021 at 9:33 PM, firefly333 said:

Airport probably does testing. Carnival is doing some limited testing, and I wouldnt be surprised if miami. 

I've been afraid to schedule a b2b even with 1 day between for this very reason. Carnival does not do testing when we get off to do another line ... too close for comfort for my nerves.

We have successfully done b2b in past n thoroughly enjoyed.

When we booked cruises in there was no requirement of testing.

MSC is first cruise, which will be fine.

I am hoping either we do test on one of the islands MSC will stop or if ship offer test, do one on ship

Or have testing kit we can do by ourself (not sure if they exist & test results accept by carnival)

Or lastly go for express test in miami on morning 😳

I would ask MSC if they could test you, even if not free.

This would seem like a similar situation:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures

- Is it possible to get tested during the cruise to comply with regulations from my travel back home?

For all sailings in the upcoming months, to ensure the highest standards of health and safety and allow a safe return home to our guests in compliance with national regulations, MSC Cruises has organized the possibility for its guests to purchase and perform a RT-PCR test or an antigen test during their cruise.

The RT-PCR test will be charged 80 euros. The tests will be organized to comply with the 48 hours or 72 hours test validity to return to your country according to your national regulations. The antigenic test is always available for 25 euros. These tests do not substitute the complimentary COVID-19 tests performed on board to comply with our comprehensive health and safety protocol.

Yeah, that would be great if you could get tested the last day of your MSC cruise. Back-up plan could be taxi/Uber to MIA to get tested at the airport. Don't know if you could use CVS/Walgreens or a proctored test on turnaround day, being from the U.K.?

Get the proctored Binax Now tests and test before you debark the MSC cruise that morning. I guess the only issue with that may be coming from the UK and not having cell service to use. I don't know enough about MSC's wifi to know if it would be strong enough for it.

Just now, Pyxie said:

Get the proctored Binax Now tests and test before you debark the MSC cruise that morning. I guess the only issue with that may be coming from the UK and not having cell service to use. I don't know enough about MSC's wifi to know if it would be strong enough for it.

If they have access to the Binax Now kit, wouldn't the results be fast enough if they did it the morning they return to debark in Miami?

On 11/13/2021 at 10:21 PM, Pyxie said:

I will have a look, we can use mobile data in us on our UK mobile network, so hopefully that wont be an issue.

Does carnival need pcr test or antigen?

We are going to stay night before msc cruise near walgreen & cvs - can i buy test kits from there? 

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable?

Guests must be tested with a COVID-19 viral test that is either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

Is a self-test acceptable?

Fully vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

What kind of proof of testing will Carnival accept?

Acceptable proof of PCR/antigen COVID-19 testing includes laboratory test record, digital certificate and healthcare record.

The results must show first and last name, date of birth, type of test (NAAT or antigen), date and time the sample was taken, test result as either “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED,” laboratory/testing site or healthcare provider details.

If there is doubt as to the authenticity or validity of the test, and the testing facility or healthcare provider is not able to be contacted for verification purposes, embarkation may be denied.

6 minutes ago, leojagpreet said:

I will have a look, we can use mobile data in us on our UK mobile network, so hopefully that wont be an issue.

Does carnival need pcr test or antigen?

We are going to stay night before msc cruise near walgreen & cvs - can i buy test kits from there? 

CVS /Walgreens do tests but sometimes have to cancel. Not sure if being from U.K. would be an issue. Binax Now test kits are sold online, are proctored over cell phone, tablet or laptop.

Edited by mondello
Correction

If it was a B2b Carnival would take care of it but since its a Side 2 Side they wont.  Perhaps as Blerk said MSC might do it but i think you might want to order some proctored test kits to take with you just in case and do your own.

9 minutes ago, leojagpreet said:

Is Binax proctored test acceptable by carnival?

Yes.

In order to provide more testing options for our guests, Carnival is sharing these resources:

• Self-administered telehealth COVID-19 tests have been approved by the CDC for vaccinated guests to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement. The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the FDA and the self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative. The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information. The result document must be presented at the time of check-in. Fully vaccinated guests may consider using an Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test which includes a viral antigen home test and the services of an eMed telemedicine professional who will supervise the administration of the home test and provide your results in 15 minutes. Test kits ship to all 50 states and arrive at your door in three business days or less. Order Now Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window..

On 11/14/2021 at 12:40 AM, BlerkOne said:

Yes.

In order to provide more testing options for our guests, Carnival is sharing these resources:

• Self-administered telehealth COVID-19 tests have been approved by the CDC for vaccinated guests to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement. The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the FDA and the self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative. The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information. The result document must be presented at the time of check-in. Fully vaccinated guests may consider using an Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test which includes a viral antigen home test and the services of an eMed telemedicine professional who will supervise the administration of the home test and provide your results in 15 minutes. Test kits ship to all 50 states and arrive at your door in three business days or less. Order Now Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window..

Thank you, guess we still have to look a test for our 5 year old unvaccinated son.

Seen there is a mobile testing van at Miami port, but not sure if they can get result in an hour. 

May be getting tested on msc ship or at airport is better option...

All these tests (in UK & at Miami) probably will cost us better part of $1000...wish we knew that at time of booking..

1 hour ago, leojagpreet said:

Thank you, guess we still have to look a test for our 5 year old unvaccinated son.

Seen there is a mobile testing van at Miami port, but not sure if they can get result in an hour. 

May be getting tested on msc ship or at airport is better option...

All these tests (in UK & at Miami) probably will cost us better part of $1000...wish we knew that at time of booking..

The original post by Blerk mentioned Antigen tests available on MSC for 25 euros and PCR tests for 80.  The Antigen tests should be good enough for the majority of your family and the PCR for your unvaccinated son.  I would just verify everything with MSC.

We had a similar side by side lined up in January on NCL and Celebrity, consisting of 5 days on Joy and 7 on Apex.  Because of the requirements, we ended up changing it to a 12 day B2B on the Apex.