Dive shop recommendations

We are looking for a local dive shop for a 2 tank discovery dive.  We, parents are certified, kids are not.  We are looking at Dr dive and Maradentro and were wondering if there have been an recent experiences with either?  we searched the forum and it looks like most reviews are 2 years ago which makes perfect sense, but thought we would ask to see if anyone has tried either shop since the restart.  

We prefer to book through the ship, but they dont offer a discovery dive and or its sold out.

thanks in advance.

If Gypsea Divers is still around, check them out.  Catherine is well known for putting together great dive.

Also Dreamtime Divers was getting great review pre-COVID.

Gypsea Divers – A dive shop in Mahahual, excellent divecrew and dive equipment

Dreamtime Dive Resort (dreamtimediving.com)

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up booking Maradentro Diving and although we havent gone yet, december 18th cruise, they have been very responsive and accommodating to our two sons that are not certified.  Ill send a trip report after we go.

thx

Would love to hear about your experience. I'm certified but want to take my granddaughter (18) along for I guess the "discover scuba". Also was wondering if any dive ops offered a regular dive with snorkeler's where she could snorkel while I was down under ??

• Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 9:43 AM, crewsweeper said:

If Gypsea Divers is still around, check them out.  Catherine is well known for putting together great dive.

Also Dreamtime Divers was getting great review pre-COVID.

Gypsea Divers – A dive shop in Mahahual, excellent divecrew and dive equipment

Dreamtime Dive Resort (dreamtimediving.com)

Gypsea Divers and Pepe's are both up and running.  Gypsea only has 1 boat but can handle 4-5 divers it appears.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I contacted them at coralnegro8@hotmail.com which I got off the website.  Got a timely reply from Catherine.  Arrangements were made via email. Took a cab and it was like 8 minutes. Cab ride was $4 pp each way and would carry 4. There were 3 of us.  When we arrived we were met by Catherine who greeted us with a smile. We had our own snorkeling gear so I can’t comment on theirs. Typical snorkel boat. Three- person crew; captain, in the water guide and a safety person who shadowed us with a life ring.   It was pretty rough but we saw plenty of fish, squid, octopus and lots of coral.   Would definitely use Gypsea again.  They had cold water on the boat.  BTW, this was last Sunday. 

edit:  paid a $25 deposit via PayPal. 

Edited by lifes-a-beach
Forgot something

3 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

I contacted them at coralnegro8@hotmail.com which I got off the website.  Got a timely reply from Catherine.  Arrangements were made via email. Took a cab and it was like 8 minutes. Cab ride was $4 pp each way and would carry 4. There were 3 of us.  When we arrived we were met by Catherine who greeted us with a smile. We had our own snorkeling gear so I can’t comment on theirs. Typical snorkel boat. Three- person crew; captain, in the water guide and a safety person who shadowed us with a life ring.   It was pretty rough but we saw plenty of fish, squid, octopus and lots of coral.   Would definitely use Gypsea again.  They had cold water on the boat.  BTW, this was last Sunday. 

edit:  paid a $25 deposit via PayPal. 

You are the second person that has said recently that taxis were $4pp. Did you really pay $12 each way?

When cruising resumed initially people reported the pre-covid rate of $8 per taxi. That is a huge increase for a family of 4.

Edited by c-leg5

We were there on December 31st and paid the same--$4 per person each way.  We were in a taxi van, so with some other parties and one guy tried to talk them down to $3 per person and the driver was having none of it.  No negotiating.  I think that's just the rate now.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to contact Gypsea Divers recently? I've been trying to email them (at both email addresses) for 3 weeks and my emails keep getting bounced. I found a phone number on a travel website and was able to send a WhatsA... message but haven't heard back from there either.

What I wanted to ask them, and maybe someone here can answer - do they take walk-ups for snorkeling, or is everything reservation only? We have two other ships in port that day (three total), so I imagine it might be crowded or busy.

We'll be at Jaime's and may or may not want to snorkel. We'll be doing some snorkeling at the prior two ports, so depends on weather and how we feel. Some of us may want to, some may not. I know Jaime can arrange it, but it sounds like his arrangements charge $10 more pp for snorkeling.

So I heard back from them today on the App (not email, that is still bouncing) and they encourage reservations but might be able to fit us in without one but maybe not at our preferred time, since they are a small operation. They also did say they could arrange it with a different company if we arrive and they're full.

@crewsweeper - do the two places you mentioned take walk ups, or only by reservation? 

Does anyone have a sense of how easily the good dive/snorkel shops fill up on a crowded port day (early April, prime Spring Break for kids time)?