Manulife Cruise Insurance for Quarantine and Interuption is a Go!!

Diane67B

From Manulife (Costco) website :-

Important information about cruise travel: If you have not received the vaccine, this policy does not provide any coverage for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications on a cruise or at any destination included in your cruise itinerary.

https://www.manulife-insurance.ca/costco/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians.html?MKT=H76&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5vbrnsuf9AIVEiM4Ch2ARQLcEAAYASAAEgKa6fD_BwE

To be eligible for Emergency Medical coverage, you must, as of the date you apply for coverage and the effective date:

• Be a resident of Canada and covered under a government health insurance plan for the entire duration of your trip.
  • Be at least thirty (30) days of age;  “WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?” 
  • Like 1

FYI. Costco Manulife

Trip Interruption benefits

Interruption benefits include:

• Reasonable and customary charges incurred by you for an interruption claim in the event that you are quarantined during your trip.
  • Up to $500 for the extra cost of a one-way economy class airfare to return home if you are delayed beyond the date you were originally scheduled to return home; and/or
  • Up to $200 per insured person per day for your additional and unplanned commercial hotel and meal expenses to a maximum of $2,800 if you are unexpectedly required to self-isolate or quarantine. Family coverage maximum is $400 per insured family per day to a maximum of $5,600.

44 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Important information about cruise travel: If you have not received the vaccine, this policy does not provide any coverage for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications on a cruise or at any destination included in your cruise itinerary.

https://www.manulife-insurance.ca/costco/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians.html?MKT=H76&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5vbrnsuf9AIVEiM4Ch2ARQLcEAAYASAAEgKa6fD_BwE

To be eligible for Emergency Medical coverage, you must, as of the date you apply for coverage and the effective date:

• Be a resident of Canada and covered under a government health insurance plan for the entire duration of your trip.

I now understand. A “child” has to be  at least 30 days.  

4 hours ago, DHP1 said:

You need to be at least 1-month old (so the policy doesn't cover newborn) 

We are planning to get the Manulife Travel Insurance via Costco, it's less than $100 for a family of 3 which is a fair deal for our  peace of mind. You can easily get the quote via the website.  

52 minutes ago, cruisegeek1974 said:

Has anyone found anything in writing on this?  Unless I missed it, I don't see anything talking about new changes effective November 18th.

I can’t find anything regarding this in Manulife website. However, Manulife Costco does. 
https://www.manulife-insurance.ca/costco/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians.html

Click “Plan Benefits”

Edited by DHP1

18 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I can’t find anything regarding this in Manulife website. However, Manulife Costco does. 
https://www.manulife-insurance.ca/costco/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians.html

Click “Plan Benefits”

Thanks.  I think i'm one of the few people without a Costco membership!  i guess best thing to do at this point is to put in a call to Manulife, hope for a good answer and get pointed to somewhere where I can see the details in writing.

8 minutes ago, cruisegeek1974 said:

Thanks.  I think i'm one of the few people without a Costco membership!  i guess best thing to do at this point is to put in a call to Manulife, hope for a good answer and get pointed to somewhere where I can see the details in writing.

Getting it in writing. 

Hello everyone,

I spoke to a representative this morning. She wasn't aware of the Nov 18 change but as we spoke, she literally received an email detailing and the email also said that the online documentation was not yet update but that people were covered for medical on cruise. The online documentation should be updated tomorrow.

HOWEVER: it is important to note that cruising medical coverage is ONLY if you take the Covid 19 Pandemic travel plan. It is NOT included in the all inclusive version.

The web page is misleading because you can only choose one of the two, leading you to believe it is incremental (Option 2 includes all of option 1). That is NOT the case. If you want all inclusive and coverage for covid medical on a cruise, you need to buy BOTH policies.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MarcusRex said:

Hello everyone,

I spoke to a representative this morning. She wasn't aware of the Nov 18 change but as we spoke, she literally received an email detailing and the email also said that the online documentation was not yet update but that people were covered for medical on cruise. The online documentation should be updated tomorrow.

HOWEVER: it is important to note that cruising medical coverage is ONLY if you take the Covid 19 Pandemic travel plan. It is NOT included in the all inclusive version.

The web page is misleading because you can only choose one of the two, leading you to believe it is incremental (Option 2 includes all of option 1). That is NOT the case. If you want all inclusive and coverage for covid medical on a cruise, you need to buy BOTH policies.

Thanks for providing this info!

49 minutes ago, cruisegeek1974 said:

I just ran a quote through Costco.  I already ran a quote through Manulife.  I got the same price for both.  The only difference is with Costco I get 

• $25,000 CAD for Executive Members
  • $10,000 CAD for Gold Star/Business Membership"

19 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I just ran a quote through Costco.  I already ran a quote through Manulife.  I got the same price for both.  The only difference is with Costco I get 

• $25,000 CAD for Executive Members
  • $10,000 CAD for Gold Star/Business Membership"

Could you expand on this? What is the $25,000 or $10,000 for?

3 hours ago, MarcusRex said:

Hello everyone,

That's interesting... the agent I spoke to advised that we only needed the COVID Pandemic insurance. I specifically asked if the COVID plan also covered non-COVID emergencies, and she said that it included $5M coverage for both COVID and non-COVID related emergencies. Do you know what is included in the all-inclusive plan that isn't covered by the COVID plan? The only thing that comes to mind is there's no Trip Cancellation at all and no Trip Interruption coverage for non-COVID interruptions.

39 minutes ago, ctlyf said:

That's interesting... the agent I spoke to advised that we only needed the COVID Pandemic insurance. I specifically asked if the COVID plan also covered non-COVID emergencies, and she said that it included $5M coverage for both COVID and non-COVID related emergencies. Do you know what is included in the all-inclusive plan that isn't covered by the COVID plan? The only thing that comes to mind is there's no Trip Cancellation at all and no Trip Interruption coverage for non-COVID interruptions.

I was told the same information. I have 5 million for covid and non covid related medical expenses with manulife. However, I did get CAA for all other cancellation insurance.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was unclear.

The Covid Travel Insurance is the only one that cover you for a Covid related medical emergency on a cruise. It does, however, ALSO cover you OTHER types of medical emergencies.

The All inclusive doesn't INCLUDE tha Cruise/Covid coverage in it.

If you take the "All Inclusive" it will NOT cover medical for covid related to cruises. It will cover medical for other stuff.

If you take the Covid plan, it doesn't cover baggage etc. but it does cover all types of medical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cruisegeek1974 said:

Thanks for providing this info!

Assuming this link will work, Manulife has now posted the updated wording.  At a quick glance, it does appear that they have changed the wording to clearly cover cruises and covid medical plus provide the trip interruption coverage as well.

COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Plan for Travelling Canadians (coverme.com)

• Like 1

They have updated the documentation. There is now a add-on page to their policy:

They essentially added this:

Exception: This exclusion does not apply for claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary if you have received the vaccine.

7 hours ago, MarcusRex said:

They have updated the documentation. There is now a add-on page to their policy:

They essentially added this:

Exception: This exclusion does not apply for claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary if you have received the vaccine.

If you forgot to add the exceptions are only for non-vaccinated cruisers.

• 2 weeks later...

Is everyone getting this insurance way ahead of sailing date or few days before the trip?  With so many uncertainties including the new variance, I am debating whether to get it now or 2-week from now.