How much money would I lose if I tested positive for COVID right before sailing?

jaoiefj

I have not tested positive for COVID, but I'm just curious what happens if I contract it right before sailing.

While I see other cruise lines have a clear policy on this (e.g. NCL), I don't see one for MSC. During the COVID test we're supposed to do 48 hours before embarkation, what if it's positive? Will they keep my money or give me some future cruise credit?

What if one person in our group tests positive for COVID, but not the other?

Also, any idea what airlines usually do for you if you have a positive COVID test right before a flight?

On 11/15/2021 at 10:43 AM, jaoiefj said:

I have not tested positive for COVID, but I'm just curious what happens if I contract it right before sailing.

While I see other cruise lines have a clear policy on this (e.g. NCL), I don't see one for MSC. During the COVID test we're supposed to do 48 hours before embarkation, what if it's positive? Will they keep my money or give me some future cruise credit?

Also, any idea what airlines usually do for you if you have a positive COVID test right before a flight?

This has been brought up before when testing switched from three days to two for vaxxed US passengers.  MSC said you could cancel up to 5pm - e.g. 5 pm on Thursday for a Saturday trip.

Have not seen any reports of anyone falling into this although we were very concerned we could.

On those threads, of course people conjectured you'd get fcc, but as I've said, can't say actual case.

You don't mention where you are going from and to nor which ship. I'd be more worried about airlines getting you to where you are going. The weather is always an easy scapegoat.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:43 AM, jaoiefj said:

If you have Covid insurance you can get a refund.  If not FCC. At least that’s what the agent at the terminal told us when I asked that “what if” question. 

1 hour ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Is that free Assistance still in effect?  I couldn't link to it yesterday.

As far as I know it is since the cdc extended their order til Jan 15, 2022

We purchased travel insurance so we automatically got the Covid 19 insurance with it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 7:21 AM, dexddd said:

This has been brought up before when testing switched from three days to two for vaxxed US passengers.  MSC said you could cancel up to 5pm - e.g. 5 pm on Thursday for a Saturday trip.

Have not seen any reports of anyone falling into this although we were very concerned we could.

On those threads, of course people conjectured you'd get fcc, but as I've said, can't say actual case.

You don't mention where you are going from and to nor which ship. I'd be more worried about airlines getting you to where you are going. The weather is always an easy scapegoat.

3 hours ago, CoolChange37 said:

We are not getting our test until the Thursday before and it takes 24 hours, so how do you cancel the Thursday before if you don't know the results until Friday after you've already flown down?    

Take a rapid result monitored home test instead. I just did that yesterday morning 5 AM for a Thursday departure. I wanted plenty of time for Plan B.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Take a rapid result monitored home test instead. I just did that yesterday morning 5 AM for a Thursday departure. I wanted plenty of time for Plan B.

Yes it’s really the only option that you have control over when you get the results.  
We cruised Nov 14th and we took the home tele monitored test at around 12:15am on the 12th so we had plenty of time to cancel had we tested positive. 

Plan to do the same for our January Seashore sailing. 

Chase Sapphire card is the answer.  They include a boat load of travel insurance that covers everything to do with a trip.  No brainer if you travel.  I think they have a ridiculous amount of points available right now too after spending so much that you can then turnaround and redeem for airfare or even shore excursions.  

• 3 weeks later...

So it seems the free Assistance Program (see above) for US guests vaccinated which provides coverage for testing positive in your 2 day pre cruise testing window is gone without notice. So if you didn’t purchase the extra MSC plan (for international guests) if you booked months ago when it was in effect, you’re in a bad place. 

Hopefully this helps as an awareness piece for our members here who didn’t know it got pulled (like me). 

This is the pdf that replaced the one above from November that was posted. Assistance is GONE. 

56E23751-5168-46E5-A1A1-B57B1F26D469.jpeg

Edited by BoundForSea

14 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

So it seems the free Assistance Program (see above) for US guests vaccinated which provides coverage for testing positive in your 2 day pre cruise testing window is gone without notice. So if you didn’t purchase the extra MSC plan (for international guests) if you booked months ago when it was in effect, you’re in a bad place. 

Hopefully this helps as an awareness piece for our members here who didn’t know it got pulled (like me). 

This is the pdf that replaced the one above from November that was posted. Assistance is GONE. 

56E23751-5168-46E5-A1A1-B57B1F26D469.jpeg

It's interesting and confusing to read under "Hotels, Meals and Trip Delays for COVID Quarantine. It says: up to $600 per person, $6000 per plan with a $200 daily limit. 

So if it is only $600 per person at $200 daily limit, this means they will only pay for meals/lodging total for up to 3 days. That's hardly sufficient?

Then what's the $6000 per plan....does this conflict the $600 per person? Maybe this means it covers up to 10 people, but each person only has a max coverage of $600. 

This is hardly enough. Between food/lodging and return air fare, this cost way over $600

Am I reading this incorrectly? Hope someone can explain. Thanks.  

OK now i am getting confused because we bought cruise in June of 2021 so the Assistance Program was part of ticket. Part of reason we booked. My etickets came last week and on the email it includes the cruiseflex portion that allows 48 hours prior to embarkation to cancel your cruise for FCC. I copied a section of website that goes over this:

FLEXIBLE BOOKING CHANGES

Flexible booking changes up to 48 hours prior to your cruise.
Valid on bookings through March 31, 2022 for cruises departing through March 31, 2023

What is Flexible Booking Changes?

If your booking date and cruise date matches the above information, MSC Cruises USA allows you to change your cruise up to 48 hours prior to departure by 5pm EST. You can move your money to another cruise that sails on or before March 31, 2023 (any ship, any sail date).  

How do I know if my cruise qualifies for Flexible Booking Changes?

If your cruise booking is made through March 31, 2022 AND your cruise departure date is through March 31, 2023 then you qualify! 
Excluding World Cruise & World Cruise segments.

How do I participate in Flexible Booking Changes?

If you would like to change your cruise plans, you MUST call our Contact Center and advise them you would like to take advantage of Flexible Booking Changes (you must call 48 hours prior to your cruise by 5pm EST). 

If you booked directly with MSC Cruises: please call our Contact Center at 844-567-1765 and we will work with you to take the money currently placed on your original booking and apply the funds to a new cruise of your choice that sails on or before March 31, 2023 (any ship, any sail date).

If you booked through a travel advisor: please contact your travel advisor so they can work with MSC Cruises to get your cruise changes applied. 

This is from MSC link from my etickets email. I am counting on this to be true as we bought them because of the flex plan. 

2 hours ago, revrick3 said:

OK now i am getting confused because we bought cruise in June of 2021 so the Assistance Program was part of ticket. Part of reason we booked. My etickets came last week and on the email it includes the cruiseflex portion that allows 48 hours prior to embarkation to cancel your cruise for FCC. I copied a section of website that goes over this:

FLEXIBLE BOOKING CHANGES

Flexible booking changes up to 48 hours prior to your cruise.
Valid on bookings through March 31, 2022 for cruises departing through March 31, 2023

What is Flexible Booking Changes?

If your booking date and cruise date matches the above information, MSC Cruises USA allows you to change your cruise up to 48 hours prior to departure by 5pm EST. You can move your money to another cruise that sails on or before March 31, 2023 (any ship, any sail date).  

How do I know if my cruise qualifies for Flexible Booking Changes?

If your cruise booking is made through March 31, 2022 AND your cruise departure date is through March 31, 2023 then you qualify! 
Excluding World Cruise & World Cruise segments.

How do I participate in Flexible Booking Changes?

If you would like to change your cruise plans, you MUST call our Contact Center and advise them you would like to take advantage of Flexible Booking Changes (you must call 48 hours prior to your cruise by 5pm EST). 

If you booked directly with MSC Cruises: please call our Contact Center at 844-567-1765 and we will work with you to take the money currently placed on your original booking and apply the funds to a new cruise of your choice that sails on or before March 31, 2023 (any ship, any sail date).

If you booked through a travel advisor: please contact your travel advisor so they can work with MSC Cruises to get your cruise changes applied. 

This is from MSC link from my etickets email. I am counting on this to be true as we bought them because of the flex plan. 

Flexible Booking still exists.  It's the Travel Assistance/renamed Assurance that they conceivably took away.  This gave many travel insurance type benefits should you end up with COVID and need quarantine, medical treatment, etc.  I can't find the most recent version, but here is an old version.  Later the column heading of October 2021 was removed so it continued to a certain point.

Insurance_final old.pdf

Edited by Native Floridian 26

5 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I printed this out when we booked our cruise this past August.  Is it still valid for our cruise since they deleted it from their website?  I do have insurance by the way but am curious.

With MSC it’s hard to know what will happen. When are you cruising?

When you get your docs if it’s still included it will be in the insurance portion of the documents. I’ll be interested to know if it’s there. 

We cruise Jan 8th on Seashore and we booked only a few weeks ago. I wasn’t going to get the MSC insurance but I did end up adding it. 
We received our docs on Saturday and the Covid coverage is still showing in our paperwork. 
Not sure when they made the change but for us we still have it in our docs. 
I always print it out anyway but this time I made sure I did. lol

Hopefully none of us will ever need it. 🤞

9 minutes ago, styles27 said:

With MSC it’s hard to know what will happen. When are you cruising?

When you get your docs if it’s still included it will be in the insurance portion of the documents. I’ll be interested to know if it’s there. 

We cruise Jan 8th on Seashore and we booked only a few weeks ago. I wasn’t going to get the MSC insurance but I did end up adding it. 
We received our docs on Saturday and the Covid coverage is still showing in our paperwork. 
Not sure when they made the change but for us we still have it in our docs. 
I always print it out anyway but this time I made sure I did. lol

Hopefully none of us will ever need it. 🤞

Forget that, I just seen it says valid on cruises before Oct. 31, 2021 duh me

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Forget that, I just seen it says valid on cruises before Oct. 31, 2021 duh me

Yes, I think I mentioned in the next version they took that Oct 31 date off of the column heading.  We just sailed 12/11 and I don't know if it was effective then, but thank God we didn't need it.

Edited by Native Floridian 26
  • Like 2

The test requirement being "two days prior to boarding" is a simplification of the old "72 hours prior to boarding" guidance. This is because the 72 hour window was actual scheduled departure time, not "3 days". Since most ships leave in the evening, most of the day of departure was part of the 72 hours. As a practical matter, for most people understanding that the test had to take place after 6pm on the third day before the cruise was both confusing, and pretty much worthless if you don't have access to a test center with evening hours. The Two Days description has the same practical validation effect, without the confusion.

MSC's travel insurance now also has a Covid rider. As has been mentioned numerous times over the years, regardless of line - If you want guarantees to cover you if something goes wrong, you need insurance. 

As for their generic flexible booking change option, I don't have any experience using that.

Edited by WoodyWindy

Now I have a question I had not thought about until above. When does the 48 hours start.  Is it when embarkation starts for the day or is it sail time? I really need this so we can test early or late enough to meet requirements. We are flying out day before so planning the test to have time to cancel if one of us tests positive.