The Importance of Not Allowing Changes to Ruin Your Vacation

Stockjock

We all know that during Covid Times there are often many twists and turns that can occur.  Some are unavoidable, while others are potentially the fault of the cruise line mishandling one or more situations.

But once you are on that ship, for God's sake, relax and have a good time!

Let me give you an example of someone who is handling this the wrong way, in my view.

A husband and wife I know booked a very expensive cruise from Europe to Brazil on a higher-end cruise line.  This cruise was booked to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.

Their cruise was scheduled to leave Europe around the 15th of this month.  I also had an 11 night European cruise, leaving perhaps the same day, that I cancelled due to covid and travel considerations.  I spoke with them about the fact that I cancelled, as there seemed to still be a lot of uncertainty.  They went forward on their cruise vacation.

They are currently on their ship.  It won't be stopping in Northern Africa due to covid.  At least one other port has been cancelled or modified.  They cruised for a shorter period than anticipated and will return to Europe.

Now don't take this the wrong way, as they are both nice people, but the wife has been on social media going absolutely insane about these changes, including curse words and such, utterly trashing the cruise line.  Certainly there are legitimate reasons to complain, but if no one is stopping at certain ports, or they're unsafe, then yes they may be cancelled.  That may be out of the cruise lines' control.

So every day, live from the cruise, nothing but complaining about how their anniversary has been absolutely ruined.  Also, they could not see Gibraltar because it was cloudy, and they had pre-ordered a special meal which was not available.  

Today, she wrote, "I'll bet none of you would ever want to travel with me".  Everyone but me said that, of course they'd love to travel with her.  I tried to be diplomatic, but replied...

"Well...you do seem to get pretty upset. You know my advice. In terms of things that are out of your control, go with the flow, try to have a great time with the hand that has been dealt, and deal with the situation upon your return."

Her reply...

"This cruise was booked over a year ago and it’s our 50th wedding anniversary and was supposed to be so special. Don’t tell me to go with the flow. You have no idea how disappointed and sad I am.  Stockjock, yeah I am totally upset."

Again, in no way do I wish to put down this couple.  But I do know that they are on a gorgeous newer ship on a luxury cruise line known for great food and service. Certainly, there have been some disappointing changes, and it's frustrating too when the weather or covid doesn't cooperate.  But I think the key takeaway is that when you are on the ship, try your hardest to have a nice time.  Go with it and deal with problems and issues after the fact in terms of the big stuff, and perhaps small stuff can be dealt with onboard.

If you choose to cruise, go forward with your eyes wide open.  Even during the best of non-Covid times, things probably won't go perfectly.  It's the nature of the beast.  Now, things are much different.  But while you are actually on the ship, make the most of your vacation and do whatever you can to put those irritations behind you, at least until you have returned.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - OP, aren't you the author of numerous posts constantly complaining about problems with your cruises? 🤪

Totally different situation.  It's fine to gripe about legitimately frustrating issues, especially when it comes to incompetence.

But...

Once actually on the ship, have the best time that you can.  While onboard, my GF and I don't sweat the small stuff.  But where warranted, we may address certain issues after the trip has ended.

5 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Totally different situation.  It's fine to gripe about legitimately frustrating issues, especially when it comes to incompetence.

But...

Once actually on the ship, have the best time that you can.  While onboard, my GF and I don't sweat the small stuff.  But where warranted, we may address certain issues after the trip has ended.

Not going to happen!!!  My experience was not small stuff

When I am onboard in 2 weeks I will be at that service desk at least twice a day in regards to the awful treatment with that Salsa cruise. 

I have been told so many times a supervisor will call me within 48-72 hours and it has never happened, they are hiding behind the phone. In person and on the ship they can't!

I also know that they can deal with things with home office from the ship as I have done this once before and low and behold a supervisor did call me on ship and have dealt with an issue. The issue was with a previous cruise and they finally did take care of it.

Since I am b2b I will have no problem speaking to someone while we are back in Miami for 10 hours if that is an option.

I might luck out and my crappy bid accepted to YC and I will have a concierge to speak too.

So how do you address items after and get them settled with MSC?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Not going to happen!!!  My experience was not small stuff

When I am onboard in 2 weeks I will be at that service desk at least twice a day in regards to the awful treatment with that Salsa cruise. 

I have been told so many times a supervisor will call me within 48-72 hours and it has never happened, they are hiding behind the phone. In person and on the ship they can't!

I also know that they can deal with things with home office from the ship as I have done this once before and low and behold a supervisor did call me on ship and have dealt with an issue. The issue was with a previous cruise and they finally did take care of it.

Since I am b2b I will have no problem speaking to someone while we are back in Miami for 10 hours if that is an option.

I might luck out and my crappy bid accepted to YC and I will have a concierge to speak too.

So how do you address items after and get them settled with MSC?

I'm mostly referring to things out of your control, such as changes to ports visited or the weather.

I do call or send e-mails to MSC.  Sometimes I get a response other times I don't.

They did give me a 15% off certificate which I have used for a summer 2022 sailing.  

But I had other perhaps more serious issues on a Caribbean cruise and they never got back to me, even after several messages over the span of a year.

I don't believe the OP is dismissing egregious treament over things completely within control of the cruiseline as being something to accept lying down or just "going with the flow" about.

When it comes to things that change that are outside the cruiseline's control (and that they do their best to deal with and communicate about), then keeping toxic anger out of your system and trying to focus on the positives on your trip is pretty good advice for enjoying your vacation.

I'm not always sucessful at it, but making lemonade out of lemons is a good rule to live by... certainly worked for me on last year's ill-fated, fresh-out- of-dry-dock NCL Spirit.  Makes the OP's story about his friend look like a walk in the park.

14 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I'm mostly referring to things out of your control, such as changes to ports visited or the weather.

If one is unwilling to "go with the flow" when they travel, one is doomed to become upset when the unexpected happens.  

My first really long cruise was an Asia Pacific cruise on the Volendam.  A port that I had long wanted to visit was Bali.  A few days before our port call, there was a terror attack that caused the U. S. State Department to recommend that Americans ought not to visit.  HAL cancelled the port visit disappointing guests--but even more--their Indonesian crew.  A substitute port was announced as Broome, Australia.  Where?  What's there?  Yet, it turned out to be an absolutely delightful port!  One has to learn to make lemonade when one is served lemons.  

Bali?  Yes, I did finally make my visit during my world cruise and it was as positive and memorable of an experience as I expected.  Just a few years delayed.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If one is unwilling to "go with the flow" when they travel, one is doomed to become upset when the unexpected happens.  

My first really long cruise was an Asia Pacific cruise on the Volendam.  A port that I had long wanted to visit was Bali.  A few days before our port call, there was a terror attack that caused the U. S. State Department to recommend that Americans ought not to visit.  HAL cancelled the port visit disappointing guests--but even more--their Indonesian crew.  A substitute port was announced as Broome, Australia.  Where?  What's there?  Yet, it turned out to be an absolutely delightful port!  One has to learn to make lemonade when one is served lemons.  

Bali?  Yes, I did finally make my visit during my world cruise and it was as positive and memorable of an experience as I expected.  Just a few years delayed.  

Jealous.  I'd love to visit Bali.

• Like 1

Bali for sure can be recommended, but how to visit Bali on a one day cruise stop? 

About the topic, I totally agree with @Stockjock. Taking a cruise now is troublesome, it will not work out as expected. But on the other hand there are ridiculous cheap offers around that will not repeat after the pandemic. Which is true for hotels also. So my attitude to our Middle East cruise in January is that I expect nothing apart from being on the boat and getting something to eat. Actually for the price I paid I could not even ask for three meals a day 😁 Going a complex route "from Europe to Brazil on a higher-end cruise line" in these days and expecting the experience of a lifetime just because you spent a hell of money is just plain stupid ignorance.

• Like 2

We need to go into our planning with a new understanding of the world of travel. I canceled my 11 day eastern Med cruise because the days in Israel were my ultimate goal and I knew I'd be really disappointed if the cruise line eliminated those ports. Sure enough, right after final payment, the cruise line dropped Israel and substituted ports I didn't care about. With COVID restrictions, it is much better to plan land travel than rely on a cruise if your target area is canceled. If I only wanted a nice cruise, it wouldn't have mattered.

This reminder is so timely! For myself! I don't sail until October 2022 (7 day Italy, Spain, France), but I was already stressing out. This is my first time sailing MSC, having only done 2 cruises (Regent and Viking). Aside from reading so much negative stuff about MSC, who knows what other countries rules will be in a year? lol

But, another thing to remember is often you can be surprised in a good way. When I sailed with Viking, it was their first season doing Alaska (which is why I got it dirt cheap, flight included), and trying to book excursions, etc. was crazy ("Viking? Are you sure, ma'am?"). I could not cancel or reschedule without losing a lot of money. But then, right before sailing, those same companies now had all the info on port times, no problem booking.......Then,  Alaska started breaking records with the high temps! So for a very low $ and what I thought would be a disaster, turned into a bucketlist trip for me.

I am not a very picky eater, and I don't drink much, so as long as there is some kind of food, I'm happy. I don't have my heart set on any of the ports, so if they are changed, that's OK. If they are cancelled, sure, I'll be disappointed, but I'm going into this eyes open-I knew booking that this Covid stuff could still be going on...........

2 hours ago, quattrohead said:

The onboard experience is so different from the headaches you experience before hand. The crew are fantastic and so happy to be working again so please don't give them a hard time. I know they have their own frustration with the office.  

The office is what is creating the situations and the only way to get satisfaction unfortunately is thru the staff onboard. They cannot hide behind a phone that if you tell them you are recording the conversation will not continue with the call.

I think it is very disingenuous for the cruise lines to be advertising Grand Cayman for 2021 up to a couple weeks ago as a stop when the Government of GC has clearly and publicly stated , no ships till 2022 

The "office" expects people to let it go and move on.  Every so often the run into a person who is not going away. I am in my 50s, retired and have nothing better to do really. 

I have 5 booked over the next 4 months so plenty of opportunity to resolve that disgusting way I was treated with the salsa cruise issue.

49 minutes ago, Missymssy said:

This reminder is so timely! For myself! I don't sail until October 2022 (7 day Italy, Spain, France), but I was already stressing out. This is my first time sailing MSC, having only done 2 cruises (Regent and Viking). Aside from reading so much negative stuff about MSC, who knows what other countries rules will be in a year? lol

But, another thing to remember is often you can be surprised in a good way. When I sailed with Viking, it was their first season doing Alaska (which is why I got it dirt cheap, flight included), and trying to book excursions, etc. was crazy ("Viking? Are you sure, ma'am?"). I could not cancel or reschedule without losing a lot of money. But then, right before sailing, those same companies now had all the info on port times, no problem booking.......Then,  Alaska started breaking records with the high temps! So for a very low $ and what I thought would be a disaster, turned into a bucketlist trip for me.

I am not a very picky eater, and I don't drink much, so as long as there is some kind of food, I'm happy. I don't have my heart set on any of the ports, so if they are changed, that's OK. If they are cancelled, sure, I'll be disappointed, but I'm going into this eyes open-I knew booking that this Covid stuff could still be going on...........

As someone who loves Viking and Regent, I can also say I enjoy MSC. And when I cruise MSC, I do it in a Bella inside cabin.

I enjoy the Italian influence on MSC in the food and decor.

The staff are professional (no obsequious osculation of the gluteus maximus ) who will quickly help with valid concerns (not those that start with "On Carnival....").

The mix of guests and languages from other cultures lets me know I am traveling, not just being a tourist who is looking for an experience "just like home."

I enjoy the fact that MSC's idea of a family vacation is just that. It is not a dump the kids on the way in and pick them up on the way out. It is families (sometime multgenerational) enjoying dinner together and the activities on board planned for families. This means the roaming of unsupervised children on board is not seem. Children are with parents or in the children's program.

Heavy drinking is not the focus of the passengers. While many of us enjoy the adult beverages, an 8AM buzz is not the goal.

In short, I have found MSC to be an enjoyable alternative to Viking, Regent and other cruiselines that I use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

The "office" expects people to let it go and move on.  Every so often the run into a person who is not going away. I am in my 50s, retired and have nothing better to do really. 

I have 5 booked over the next 4 months so plenty of opportunity to resolve that disgusting way I was treated with the salsa cruise issue.

Give it a rest already.

We all know that you are VERY IMPORTANT and that SATISFACTION as pertaining to yourself is the only criteria. I am sure you will be a ray of sunshine to the staff on board ship that has no authority to deal with your issues. (Well, maybe the ship's doctor - he has drugs he can use).

Please, cancel the rest of your MSC cruises. 

It will make this forum a better place.

By the way, have you thought of volunteering? It would be something productive to do with your time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So glad to hear that! May I ask if you have sailed on Opera at all? I know there is no specialty dining, but for the rest of food/drink offered, is it across all ships? lol, mainly concerned I can't get a Shakerato! I go take or leave alcohol, but not my coffee!

12 minutes ago, Missymssy said:

So glad to hear that! May I ask if you have sailed on Opera at all? I know there is no specialty dining, but for the rest of food/drink offered, is it across all ships? lol, mainly concerned I can't get a Shakerato! I go take or leave alcohol, but not my coffee!

No. I have cruised on the Divina and Meraviligia in the US.

My daughter and her husband honeymooned on the Meravilglia in the Mediterranean. 

19 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Give it a rest already.

We all know that you are VERY IMPORTANT and that SATISFACTION as pertaining to yourself is the only criteria. I am sure you will be a ray of sunshine to the staff on board ship that has no authority to deal with your issues. (Well, maybe the ship's doctor - he has drugs he can use).

Please, cancel the rest of your MSC cruises. 

It will make this forum a better place.

By the way, have you thought of volunteering? It would be something productive to do with your time.

I actually do volunteer.

Moose lodge, our local food bank, cub scouts and Make a wish.

It is not that I am very important, its that I was treated as less than significant. Zero concern or care as to how they have addressed a situation.

FYI, the staff can deal with issues and has in the past.

But remember, this is a cruise line that will remove the daily service charge to compensate you and will do it for future cruises by putting it in their notes. This shows that they not only don't care about the customers but the hard working crew as well. I know this first hand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Maybe its time to cancel all your MSC cruises and move on.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

But remember, this is a cruise line that will remove the daily service charge to compensate you and will do it for future cruises by putting it in their notes. This shows that they not only don't care about the customers but the hard working crew as well. I know this first hand.

You need to get rid of this idea as the remuneration on MSC and other European cruise lines is not working in this way. If MSC offers you 50% discount on the Hotel Service Charge if you pay at the time of booking or even 100% discount because of whatever, that has no influence on the salary of the staff. Just because it maybe is true at Carnival or Royal Caribbean that does not mean it the rest of the world has to follow this practice. 

Feel free to believe that US cruise companies treat their staff better than the Europeans, certainly you don´t need to believe me, that this is not true. But it is not true 🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

So you say.

However, having sailed on MSC and being subjected to cruisers fuming because they found that they couldn't remove the daily service charge on the last day without a detailed explanation to justify the removal, I doubt that you will be service charge free in the future.

Time to cancel your MSC cruises and find a cruise line that suits your cruising need. (Have you tried Carnival?)

• Like 1

If one isn’t flexible then one shouldn’t go on vacation during a pandemic. 

After 36+yrs of hairdressing I’ve dealt with many complainers. There are two types of clients/passengers those that complain about every little thing and those that go with the flow and choose to make the best of any situation. 

We all have the power to make that choice every single day. 
I’m a glass half full person, I wake up every morning and choose to be happy because none of us know when our last day is. 
In the grand scheme of things I can’t worry about missing a port of call or not having crispy bacon in the buffet or any of the stupid petty things some people complain about. 

Life is a gift it’s too bad so many live their entire lives without learning that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, styles27 said:

If one isn’t flexible then one shouldn’t go on vacation during a pandemic. 

After 36+yrs of hairdressing I’ve dealt with many complainers. There are two types of clients/passengers those that complain about every little thing and those that go with the flow and choose to make the best of any situation. 

We all have the power to make that choice every single day. 
I’m a glass half full person, I wake up every morning and choose to be happy because none of us know when our last day is. 
In the grand scheme of things I can’t worry about missing a port of call or not having crispy bacon in the buffet or any of the stupid petty things some people complain about. 

Life is a gift it’s too bad so many live their entire lives without learning that. 

Actually, with respect to cruising, there might be a 3rd type and that's me.

Try hard to rectify problems in a nice and polite way before the cruise.

Once on the cruise, don't worry about much of anything.  Put things out of our control behind us and have a nice time.

Upon our return, address issues which may still need to be addressed, again in a polite manner.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1