Live from the Sky Princess 11/20–12/4

KLM3164

1 hour ago, marne-c said:

Brovol:  Thanks for all of your comments.  What time did you get to the pier?  

DW and I are platinum and in January will be in a suite on the Regal Princess' departure from Port Everglades.  We hope to duplicate your speedy embarkation.

---Marne

Probably at around 11. Our check-in time was supposed to be 11:30. Uber driver dropped us up front, and a bag handler took our luggage as we got out of the car. We were then welcomed right through the doors, and directed to the Platinum line. Our bags were screened, and then we went to checkpoint for vaccinations and covid test verification. Literally took seconds, and we had no wait at all. Took the walk up the gate to the boat, and had staff cheering for us when we walked in. Was actually kind of embarrassing in a very nice way. My wife got a coffee at international cafe, which was extremely quick, and up to our room we went. We were giggling about how fast and easy it was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, kangelop said:

Was the entertainment last night any better than the first night?

No doubt, the "comedian" the first night was embarrassingly bad, to the point where you had to feel sorry for him, bombing his way through a routine that literally had people, including us, walking out on him.  Last night was a comedic magician named Basilio Tabbachi. EXTREMELY hyperkinetic, a real whirlwind who effortlessly went fluently through at least five languages interchangeably.  His gags were OK, his magic interesting but hardly Vegas caliber. All in all, a far sight better than what we endured the night before

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brovol said:

Probably at around 11. Our check-in time was supposed to be 11:30. Uber driver dropped us up front, and a bag handler took our luggage as we got out of the car. We were then welcomed right through the doors, and directed to the Platinum line. Our bags were screened, and then we went to checkpoint for vaccinations and covid test verification. Literally took seconds, and we had no wait at all.  (Snip...)

Thanks, brovol, for the quick response.  I think 11am may be the time we'll shoot for.

--Marne

• Like 1

I’ve been having great difficulty in posting to CC so this update is for yesterday, day #2, which was a stop at Princess Cays. While waiting to board the water shuttle I enjoyed looking at all the banners hanging in the Piazza area. They make for a festive Caribbean atmosphere. We boarded the water shuttle and were whisked away to the island. The day was awesome and one of the best vacation days ever! We decided to rent a bungalow with our friends so it was nice to have a space with A/C to cool off in throughout the day. We spent most of the day floating in the water as we all rented aqua chairs with drink holders! Despite putting sunscreen on I did get crispy in a few places. The BBQ on the island was good and we enjoyed the free flowing drinks. Unlike others we didn’t get charged for our drinks.

Got a few photos of the sunset last night and then headed to the MDR for dinner. My DH had the prime rib and it ordered medium rare. It looked delicious and he said it was very good. I declined to try it as I’m trying to stay away from red meat these days. We had a table last night that we really liked. We talked to the Maitre ‘d and requested the table for the rest of this week and next week since we have a same time reservation in the Cielo dining room each night. We will see if we get the table tonight. 

Entertainment was much better last night. We had a comedy magician who was much funnier that the guy the night before and the magic tricks we ok but nothing that was a showstopper. We ended the evening with the Yes/No game show which we’d never seen before. I know I wouldn’t survive for 3 minutes but it was fun to watch.

Looking forward to a sea day on Monday, day #3.

Ciao for now!

96A47EF1-6260-4EA2-9E61-4809E1965F88.jpeg.2680830356cdefdf0f8f0c25f259e75b.jpegAC4141A1-5B48-4E46-8487-1CB80D1BDEF4.jpeg.5e528e4cbdbdf829372df7aaecf81b89.jpeg9B7F367D-C676-4DA5-AC9D-C53FAA69367E.jpeg.a263ae725052f87244023541afb7c692.jpegDBEE6124-1AFB-4854-BCA3-E255079E7AFB.jpeg.f3ab303a6915c670e98ed3a570f536c5.jpeg116E4727-70AC-4FFA-B6AB-BBCFB325C184.jpeg.770c6db3beadb3f3d7971577d6046d25.jpegDF269667-2256-4744-B381-AA14D1ACAE4C.jpeg.d5dc2b959f78df08efc1319e194321b2.jpegC1C13F81-53A1-4C73-B755-A655C0A5DAFA.jpeg.d4c1f2ed8bf04dd07a7221f9e7cddd53.jpeg854F5E5F-C2D4-4A81-8AD2-D7C8BDE7B7DA.jpeg.ebc767ff572fe9b5eec398e5a93695ce.jpeg796B626B-1DB3-4B93-8E1E-2882039A33FD.jpeg.32c0d2b88603d6c3a9250b15ce402049.jpeg2D1712CD-6A5D-4C76-A0A9-9AB0EB13D7BD.jpeg.3815b06bf57c98a7082d71ebe98b725c.jpeg88189AD7-99E7-4818-AD89-A1FE9BFB1DC1.jpeg.0b5dac67f4d04768a4ce36519e9cee2c.jpegF39DAEE3-88E8-4EB5-AF66-A2E22D324FDC.jpeg.5b82e7bb3c02a838e57ac070a55e44e0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another great day on our cruise. I really love sea days…..they are my favorite. We had our CC meet and greet today. Thanks to @thisislou for making the arrangements. I was impressed with how many officers attended the event and how receptive they were to answer questions. We talked to the Cruise Director and Entertainment Director about the first night comedian and needless to say they are on top of the situation. They know that night wasn’t up to Princess standards and as they told my DH they have dealt with the matter.

We went to the buffet for lunch and I thought they had a nice selection of food. I was surprised by how few people were in the buffet at lunch time.

The afternoon was spent in the aft pool and my friend and I turned it into a swim up bar by ordering drinks in the pool. Boy I love a cruise vacation!!!!

Tonight was dress to impress night and not “formal” night. Let’s just say anything goes on this cruise in the MDR. I didn’t see one tuxedo tonight. Saw everything……shorts, Harley Davidson leather vest, ripped jeans, long sleeve shirts with ties, sport coats, suit/tie. You can and should wear whatever makes you comfortable.

Tonight was the production show Rock Opera…….AMAZING! Loved it so much I’ll be going to the late show too if there is room. I’m a theater person so this show was right up my alley. If they have it next week I’ll be seeing it again. It was a cross between Broadway and some good old hard rock-n-roll. There was a standing ovation at the end of the first show and I didn’t see one person leave early. I think it was a big hit!

Looking forward to St. Thomas tomorrow.

Ciao for now!

020F9FF2-2D24-4645-A04C-20D1E4BC07C0.jpeg

674E1339-D671-4581-BAA4-B02BB6FA7CA5.jpeg

6953D84B-0E50-4FEC-8D73-0869B5336F09.jpeg

942BD36B-FEEE-42CC-A9F7-E2350728A490.jpeg

7223A329-D728-4BD6-8E60-5C0738D41813.jpeg

4E66FCAF-5CC0-47CF-907D-B5DF5D4480BE.jpeg

C8C5CAFC-B078-4B96-A043-CCB3B0BE9292.jpeg

6C80DCD8-71FD-4F82-9544-3A88B3F0F864.jpeg

967B3A45-1285-467B-BBBB-AD4BD379255A.jpeg

B9BBBDAE-7956-453D-9A68-6E5B294F1480.jpeg

4FEB22A0-C2A7-4B31-A00E-FCBA19DEB840.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 11/21/2021 at 6:20 PM, cltnccruisers said:

I'd love to hear your take on dressing for "formal" night.  We don't leave until Thanksgiving so I still have a little packing time.  Hope to meet you on your 2nd B.

My take on formal night is anything goes so wear whatever makes you comfortable. It’s actually no longer called “formal” but instead “dress to impress”. I bring dressy outfits but they are very comfortable and don’t wrinkle. My DH wore a dress shirt and tie. 

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

I've seen a few posts about the shows, but how is the other nightlife on board?  Thinking late night nightlife.  We're on west coast time, so it won't be a 10 pm bedtime for us.  Is the ship's DJ any good?  

There is lots of late night entertainment but we haven’t made it to any of it yet. Perhaps someone else on the sailing can chime in about the DJ and other entertainment happening later in the evening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KLM3164 said:

There is lots of late night entertainment but we haven’t made it to any of it yet. Perhaps someone else on the sailing can chime in about the DJ and other entertainment happening later in the evening.

Thanks KLM... just hoping for a little activity and not all Movies under the Stars.

13 hours ago, lx200gps said:

No doubt, the "comedian" the first night was embarrassingly bad, to the point where you had to feel sorry for him, bombing his way through a routine that literally had people, including us, walking out on him.  Last night was a comedic magician named Basilio Tabbachi. EXTREMELY hyperkinetic, a real whirlwind who effortlessly went fluently through at least five languages interchangeably.  His gags were OK, his magic interesting but hardly Vegas caliber. All in all, a far sight better than what we endured the night before

I bet both performers were the best available in the Princess price range.

14 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

We had a table last night that we really liked. We talked to the Maitre ‘d and requested the table for the rest of this week and next week since we have a same time reservation in the Cielo dining room each night. We will see if we get the table tonight. 

This note reads like Princess is still not assigning folks who book the same res for the entire voyage using DMW to the same table and wait staff each night.  This is sad that they are not delivering on their promise without an appeal to the DORO and intervention on his part.  I hope you get your request satisfied.  If the DORO (MD) or a HW mentions anything about same table and waitstaff assignments, I'd be interested to know.

21 hours ago, marne-c said:

CruisinChandler:  First, MANY thanks for all of your comments and posts.  Since DW and I will be on the Sky Princess this summer, and will be sailing on the Regal Princess out of Port Everglades in early January, your info is really helpful.

Second, where did you get the wonderful Billecart-Salmon champagne?  I didn't see it on the Princess wine list.  Did you bring it aboard yourselves?

--Marne

We brought the champagne on board with us. Our room steward brought us champagne glasses and an ice bucket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

This note reads like Princess is still not assigning folks who book the same res for the entire voyage using DMW to the same table and wait staff each night.  This is sad that they are not delivering on their promise without an appeal to the DORO and intervention on his part.  I hope you get your request satisfied.  If the DORO (MD) or a HW mentions anything about same table and waitstaff assignments, I'd be interested to know.

We’ve been assigned to the same table & wait staff each night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

Tonight was dress to impress night and not “formal” night.

Interesting.  I went back to look closely at the Patter and sure enough, it states "Dress to impress".  Then I went hunting for other sailings with Patters posted and it wasn't easy.  As an example, I found an Enchanted one and it stated "Formal Night".  I wonder if something is starting to happen with a ship or two, but not all?

has anyone  experienced the enclave?  We are on the  sky next year and are  considering  buying the pass

I walked past  the  sanctuary  while on board the  emerald  and  was nearly knocked over by the  over whelming use of aroma   hoping  the  enclave isnt as  bad

13 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

My take on formal night is anything goes so wear whatever makes you comfortable. It’s actually no longer called “formal” but instead “dress to impress”. I bring dressy outfits but they are very comfortable and don’t wrinkle. My DH wore a dress shirt and tie. 

Thank you.  DW gave me permission to not wear a tie but I did get a really comfortable sport jacket and can match it with a nice pair of slacks and shirt.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Thank you.  DW gave me permission to not wear a tie but I did get a really comfortable sport jacket and can match it with a nice pair of slacks and shirt.

You will be very well dressed! There is no need for a tie. See you next week!

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Are there any "formal" nights scheduled or have all formal evenings been replaced by "dress to impress?"

On this cruise the 2 evenings are “dress to impress”. I was on the Majestic in August though and the nights were called “formal” on that ship.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Our experience was we had to request to be seated at the same table each night. It didn’t happen automatically. First night was a different table which we didn’t care for much. Second evening we liked the table so we asked our head waiter if we could have it each evening at 6. He referred us to MD (or whatever they call them now). He made a note and on third night we got the same table. It’s helpful for us to be in the same area because our friends are vegan and they get other options not on the menu prepared for them. It would be difficult if we were in a different section each night to explain their dietary needs to the waiter. We are happy with how things worked out but from my perspective you have to make some requests to get traditional dining option now. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I wonder if something is starting to happen with a ship or two, but not all?

I think you are right they are testing “dress to impress” out on the Sky. We were on Majestic in August and it was still called formal night on that ship.

1 minute ago, KLM3164 said:

We are happy with how things worked out but from my perspective you have to make some requests to get traditional dining option now. 

It's not traditional dining, even if you have the same table and waiters and time each night. Traditional dining was a way for us to make new friends for the length of a cruise by being assigned to eat together. Now it will be like anytime dining for us--we may get to share a table with others, but it will be just for one night. The good news is that I'm sailing solo on my next cruise and preferred anytime dining then. But when DH is able to sail again, we are going to miss having traditional dining.

• Like 2