Back to back cruise process

Gary4304

9 minutes ago, CruisingIGo said:

TA

Some TAs will (at least when it’s beneficial) try to do the multi-segment bookings as separate items though it is my understanding from multiple trusted O ambassadors and a couple of longtime O phone reps that the practice is not in line with the O policy set in place several years ago

. But, one thing that does set O apart is that exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis. And, since several folks have recently posted about separate adjacent cruise bookings, it may be that Covid has catalyzed some changes.

In your case, I’m guessing that the “extended journey” was not on the sale list and that prompted the TA to ask for an exception.

Just a note of caution.

Our last two Oceania cruises were in late 2019.  The first originated in San Francisco and ended in Sydney Australia.  The cruise was terrific and with a couple we had befriended we decided to visit Sydney for the day before returning to the Regatta for embarkation in the early evening to commence the Australian circumnavigation.

The Sydney port was well out of Sydney central and required a taxi or shuttle to navigate the busy (no sidewalk) road system.  We were told that the shuttles were for departing customers only.  The taxis were similarly dedicated to departing passengers only.  After waiting several hours we were finally able to flag down a taxi to take us into Sydney.

When we returned to the Regatta later that day we complained that as continuing passengers (total of 67 days for the two legs) we should have been provided with at least a shuttle rather than be expected to hang around the port for the day.  The Oceania rep told us several days later that head office has a policy that since only 12 of us (ie. continuing passengers) were in our position, Oceania would not accommodate our situation.  We were on our own.  We expected at least an apology.  Nada.  We're big Oceania fans (185 days/Gold level) but this did not sit well.

4 hours ago, Brentwood Bay said:

Just a note of caution.

Our last two Oceania cruises were in late 2019.  The first originated in San Francisco and ended in Sydney Australia.  The cruise was terrific and with a couple we had befriended we decided to visit Sydney for the day before returning to the Regatta for embarkation in the early evening to commence the Australian circumnavigation.

The Sydney port was well out of Sydney central and required a taxi or shuttle to navigate the busy (no sidewalk) road system.  We were told that the shuttles were for departing customers only.  The taxis were similarly dedicated to departing passengers only.  After waiting several hours we were finally able to flag down a taxi to take us into Sydney.

When we returned to the Regatta later that day we complained that as continuing passengers (total of 67 days for the two legs) we should have been provided with at least a shuttle rather than be expected to hang around the port for the day.  The Oceania rep told us several days later that head office has a policy that since only 12 of us (ie. continuing passengers) were in our position, Oceania would not accommodate our situation.  We were on our own.  We expected at least an apology.  Nada.  We're big Oceania fans (185 days/Gold level) but this did not sit well.

I would feel the same way. Not how to treat some of your best guests. 

6 hours ago, Brentwood Bay said:

Just a note of caution.

That’s a bummer! At the very least, the ship’s excursion folks should’ve offered an OE “tour” even if only for the transport. 
What is also surprising is that it sounds like O didn’t dock right in the middle of downtown at the Quays near the bridge. That’s the usual embarkation location. Perhaps that was a last minute change that took the Tours folks by surprise. Still, that’s not much of an excuse since one telephone call could’ve gotten one of those 18 passenger van/bus vehicles.

38 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That’s a bummer! At the very least, the ship’s excursion folks should’ve offered an OE “tour” even if only for the transport. 
What is also surprising is that it sounds like O didn’t dock right in the middle of downtown at the Quays near the bridge. That’s the usual embarkation location. Perhaps that was a last minute change that took the Tours folks by surprise. Still, that’s not much of an excuse since one telephone call could’ve gotten one of those 18 passenger van/bus vehicles.

When we were there(2016) Marina departed from the White Bay terminal, which sounds like the one Brentwood Bay is describing. It's a little too late for them now, but when we were there there was a ferry than ran back and forth every hour or so from the main downtown quay. I walked from the Marriott, to the ferry, and took the ferry to the cruise port. Quite easy even with luggage for a 32 day cruise. . 

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

When we were there(2016) Marina departed from the White Bay terminal, which sounds like the one Brentwood Bay is describing. It's a little too late for them now, but when we were there there was a ferry than ran back and forth every hour or so from the main downtown quay. I walked from the Marriott, to the ferry, and took the ferry to the cruise port. Quite easy even with luggage for a 32 day cruise. . 

Now that you mention it, I remember that one of our Covid restriction cancelled OZ/NZ cruises was going to use a different location. I guess that we were fortunate to be within walking distance from the Park Hyatt to the main Quay terminal.

You are right Flatbush.  We were docked well out of town as the Quay spot was occupied by a Princess vessel.  I don't think O was caught by surprise.  The Head Office policy was (and maybe still is) that less than 30 or so stranded passengers did (or does) not involve a significant number of passengers to warrant O to make any accommodation.  Indeed a bummer!

You are right Orv.  The terminal was in fact White Bay.   The ferry you mentioned had been recently closed for the season due to limited traffic.

The final docking/disembarkation after the Australian circumnavigation was also at the White Bay site and we were able to catch a quick cab.  The circumnavigation was a superb trip.  It included Christmas and New Years on board.  Both were memorable celebrations.  The New Years party on the pool deck was fantastic!  When on their game Oceania does a really fine job.

16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I understand what you did. And, of course, all segments are listed since folks do book single segments. 
But, are you saying that, on the O web, the two segments were also listed as a single cruise with its own different name?

Humor me. What are the two cruises? 
Thanks!

Correct.. Not wishing to awaken the powers that be let's just say they're across the pond.

17 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Correct.. Not wishing to awaken the powers that be let's just say they're across the pond.

Well, you did “humor me” since your answer would’ve been my answer. (Don’t fix what ain’t broke).

I mention that because I am aware of some TA bookings done that way (multi-segment booked as individual segments) which were then rescinded by O (as allowed by the O T&Cs and ticket contract). And, yes, though the new fare for the multi-segment single booking number will be lower, the O Club perks/credits may be negatively impacted.

Again, because O will bend over backwards for its “preferred partner” TAs, exceptions are always possible. At the same time, I expect that some less knowledgeable TAs will get a big NO. We just don’t hear about it much on CC.

We went out of White Bay in 2015. It was maybe 700 meter walk to the ferry, maybe shorter. We rode the ferries throughout the entire area on a hop on hop off basis. Great Day.! We stayed at the Marriott down my the main cruise terminal, I wished we had gone out of there.

The day before Embarkment the Marina anchored out in the Bay , out in front of the Opera House, for about 24 hours. The passengers had to tender to the cruise terminal. Then the Marina headed into White Bay for the turnaround.