Booked last minute Royal Cruise - Passport Validity within 6 months (Canadian)

Chickadees

Thanks for all the great information as we are new to cruising Royal. So excited! Booked a last minute cruise last week on Symphony of the Seas (Nov. 27). Flying from Canada. Checked in with documents and realized my son’s passport is valid only until February 22, 2022. The note says that “Valid for at least six months after your sailing's return date, is strongly recommended.” Got a sailing check in email saying the same thing.

However when I go into the app (health check information) and on the website it states “Canadians will require their passport with a minimum of 6 months validity post the return of your sailing.” But on another section states valid passport. I am so confused about what is the right information.

I have his SeaPass barcode and it shows him as checked in with his vaccination record. Just need to do health check when we get there. He also has a valid Nexus card that expires in a year.

Just a bit stressed because planning and flying out of Canada has so many hoops to go through. I just don’t want to have issues when we get to port next Saturday

40 minutes ago, Chickadees said:

Thanks for all the great information as we are new to cruising Royal. So excited! Booked a last minute cruise last week on Symphony of the Seas (Nov. 27). Flying from Canada. Checked in with documents and realized my son’s passport is valid only until February 22, 2022. The note says that “Valid for at least six months after your sailing's return date, is strongly recommended.” Got a sailing check in email saying the same thing.

However when I go into the app (health check information) and on the website it states “Canadians will require their passport with a minimum of 6 months validity post the return of your sailing.” But on another section states valid passport. I am so confused about what is the right information.

I have his SeaPass barcode and it shows him as checked in with his vaccination record. Just need to do health check when we get there. He also has a valid Nexus card that expires in a year.

Just a bit stressed because planning and flying out of Canada has so many hoops to go through. I just don’t want to have issues when we get to port next Saturday

There are countries that require your passport to have 6 months validity.  I just check a US government site that states US citizens only need a passport to be valid at time of entry, no 6 month rule.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html

The cruise line just enforces what the local country requires.  I would try to find an equivalent Canadian website that shows you the requirements for a Canadian to enter the US.  I would not expect it would be different than a US resident to enter Canada but I would definitely check.

Edit:  Found this

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

Edited by reallyitsmema

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

While Royal most likely let your son sail, the real test is whether the airline will let you board in Canada to fly internationally.  You might want to check with your carrier and see what their policy is.  Good luck.

Thank you for the comment. Not an issue as he also has a Nexus card as a trusted traveller so he doesn’t need to show his passport. Called Royal and she agreed that the information is very contradictory and most likely Q&As get changed daily. She gave me the link that says valid passport only to board the ship but also bring his Nexus card. 

Edited by Chickadees
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

There are countries that require your passport to have 6 months validity.  I just check a US government site that states US citizens only need a passport to be valid at time of entry, no 6 month rule.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html

The cruise line just enforces what the local country requires.  I would try to find an equivalent Canadian website that shows you the requirements for a Canadian to enter the US.  I would not expect it would be different than a US resident to enter Canada but I would definitely check.

Edit:  Found this

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

Thank you for the information. I called Royal and she referred me to the Royal Q&A and also US Border services which states requirements for leaving from US ports and going to the Caribbean. It states valid Canadian passport or Trusted Traveller Card (Nexus) both of which he has. However the Q&A for Canadian travellers and Royal app (health check) states must have valid passport 6 months past sailing. Just getting stressed!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

HI Chickadees, I know this is a long ago post but I'm wondering how your situation unfolded. I have a cruise booked for September and my passport expires in December and I'd like to wait to renew because of the new Canadian Passports they are rolling out later in the summer.

Can you let me know if boarding was an issue or not? 

Thanks!