Best Duty Free Liquor prices???

mpdog42

I have never found it worthwhile to buy liquor on a Mex Riv cruise.  For $5 - $10 more,, I can buy it at home.  It is not worth a small savings to have to lug it home.

Mt. Gay used to sell a rum that was not for export, only sold in Barbados, and that was worth buying  on a cruise stopping in Barbados, because it was not otherwise available.  But Havana Club rum  is sold locally.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I have never found it worthwhile to buy liquor on a Mex Riv cruise.  For $5 - $10 more,, I can buy it at home.  It is not worth a small savings to have to lug it home.

Mt. Gay used to sell a rum that was not for export, only sold in Barbados, and that was worth buying  on a cruise stopping in Barbados, because it was not otherwise available.  But Havana Club rum  is sold locally.

Thanks for the reply, Unless your in Canada..Havana Club made in Cuba is still not available in the USA..

Guess i will have to wait for my next Carib cruise...😭

16 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Thanks for the reply, Unless your in Canada..Havana Club made in Cuba is still not available in the USA..

There seems to be dispute between the family that made Havana Club and still makes it in Puerto Rico and the Cuban govt which makes a competing rum of the same name.  I've never had the Cuban product.

So if you want the Cuban product, that is a darn good reason to buy it in Mexico!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

There seems to be dispute between the family that made Havana Club and still makes it in Puerto Rico and the Cuban govt which makes a competing rum of the same name.  I've never had the Cuban product.

So if you want the Cuban product, that is a darn good reason to buy it in Mexico!

Yeah I hope i can find it on the west coast!!😁

Just now, Mike45LC said:

I hope you find it, that you get it home safely, and that you enjoy the rum!

Thanks, never done the Mexican Riveria..Though have lived in PV,... Any advice on what are must sees in Maz or Cabo??

My recommendation for Mazatlan:  Walk to the Stone Island "ferry" dock, go to Stone island for a couple of hours --- good beach, with restaurants, reasonably priced water activities.  Then, back to the Cruise Terminal, take a golf cart (local taxis) to the Cathedral and central market.  Another golf cart to the Golden Zone, after which a cab back to the ship (with a brief stop to watch the cliff divers).

Cabo:  A "glass bottom" boat tour to the Arch, get dropped off at Medano Beach on the way back, and spend the rest of your visit there on the beach.  Water taxi or cab or pedicab back to the tender dock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

My recommendation for Mazatlan:  Walk to the Stone Island "ferry" dock, go to Stone island for a couple of hours --- good beach, with restaurants, reasonably priced water activities.  Then, back to the Cruise Terminal, take a golf cart (local taxis) to the Cathedral and central market.  Another golf cart to the Golden Zone, after which a cab back to the ship (with a brief stop to watch the cliff divers).

Cabo:  A "glass bottom" boat tour to the Arch, get dropped off at Medano Beach on the way back, and spend the rest of your visit there on the beach.  Water taxi or cab or pedicab back to the tender dock.

Thanks Mike...I appreciate the ideas...Sounds like a plan!!

On 11/22/2021 at 6:11 PM, mpdog42 said:

Anybody bring back any booze from a recent cruise on the Riveria? Where is the best stop to buy? Cabo or Maz?

I like scotch and Havana Club rum if that helps

Thanks Guys!

Pre-pandemic, we have spent most Novembers in Mexico, often Vallarta.  I can't say I have run across any "duty free" outlets outside the airport.  Liquor that originates in the region is often a "real deal" while scotch and rum are imports in Mexico too.  

I would echo others when I tell you to know what it cost at home before you look for it in Mexico.  Total Wines and More has your Havana Club (Puerto Rico) rum in stock for $18.99 while Target carries it for $20.99.  

Enjoy . . . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MSN-Travelers said:

Pre-pandemic, we have spent most Novembers in Mexico, often Vallarta.  I can't say I have run across any "duty free" outlets outside the airport.  Liquor that originates in the region is often a "real deal" while scotch and rum are imports in Mexico too.  

I would echo others when I tell you to know what it cost at home before you look for it in Mexico.  Total Wines and More has your Havana Club (Puerto Rico) rum in stock for $18.99 while Target carries it for $20.99.  

Enjoy . . . 

Thanks!!