We’re Baaaaack!!! Live from the Regal Princess- B2B2B- 11.24.21 to 12.9.21

TracieABD

Morning - getting ready for our covid test and flying tomorrow for Monday Embarkation, woo hoo!

Curious to know who the Captain is?  We've been on the Regal multiple times and had                        Capt Tim Stringer.  What a nice man, he even joined us for afternoon tea (impromptu).  💗

Hope to get to meet you onboard, enjoy!

• Like 1

Day 5

November 26, 2021

Costa Maya, Mexico

Help! In Desperate Need of “Unstuffing”!

Hi friends-

Sorry for the late posting...

We woke to the post Thanksgiving gorging to gray and cloudy skies. Not the prettiest day, but it is a day on a cruise ship... who can complain? There were two other ships in port- the Disney Wonder and the Norwegian BreakAway. The BreakAway is a bit larger than the Regal- and both of these ships completely eclipsed the Wonder. As an aside, I am not sure what DCL’s kids policy is right now- but we saw very few kids on their ship or in port. Makes you wonder how they are staying afloat right now. It is a super cute ship!

We had breakfast in the CC MDR- I had soft boiled eggs and bacon. Jon had eggs,bacon, and made to order French toast. It was all delicious- but so filling. We decided to head out to take a quick lap in Costa Maya.

This is an area that completely built and designed for cruise ships... you can find lots of these places throughout the Caribbean- They become a bit of blur after a few ports. I heard that in earlier cruises, this port area was basically abandoned- but it seems to be coming back. One point of interest- the hawkers were all out, but when you said “No, thank you”, they were so respectful and backed off. There was no bargaining, crazy promises hard-sell. That made our visit so much more pleasant. Again, the local merchants looked just as happy to see us as we are to see them!

Lunch on the ship was in the Buffy. Yep. Still not a fan. There is very little self-serve. Almost everything that one could want is served up by cruise staff. They do have little flower pots and dishes of some side items, but they are pretty few and far between.

I took a nap in the afternoon (don’t judge- Jon says I am an Olympic class napper). The skies cleared and Jon headed up to the Sanctuary. I woke to Jon rustling around the cabin bringing me scones from the Sanctuary afternoon tea. Everybody all together... Awwwwwwww. Yes, he really is always that sweet and considerate. He knows I just love those scones and would hate to miss them.

I joined him for a bit in the Sanctuary- before we headed down to ready for dinner. We had peeked at the menu in the MDR- and nothing was doing it for us... so we made a reservation for Sabatini’s. We invited P2 and PC to join us- and they accepted! Yes! The Fearsome Foursome is reunited! We have loved having dinner with them each evening, and we will miss them when this cruise concludes.

Sabatini’s was so much better than I remember it being on previous cruises. They have tweeked the menu a bit- and I am so grateful for the changes. I started with the cheese soup and had the fried squash for an app. The pasta of choice was a mushroom risotto. Jon had the carbonara. I have to confess that we are sort of carbonara snobs... and Jon wins the best and most authentic carbonara ever. (Many people cannot get past the raw egg- and substitute cream instead- and it is just not the same). I had veal for my main. Jon had the pork. Both were delicious, but I could not finish mine- it was just too much food.  For dessert, they offered my absolute favorite- panna cotta. It was a split decision on the panna cotta- I loved it- Paige (sadly) did not.

So we have noticed a delightful trend at our dinners- we are having such a nice time visiting with our friends that our meals are lasting 2 1/2 to 3 hours. We just get to talking and the time flies by. It has been a joy to get to spend time with Paige and get to know PC at long last. They are both such great conversationalists. I highly recommend finding Paige’s “Fungirl Across America and Beyond” Facebook page. She gives her perspective AND had both photos and videos!

After dinner, we shopped for a few minutes before setting into the Princess Theater to see Carlos Oscar, Princess’s Best Entertainer. It took a minute to get used to his style, but he had some funny material. I am so glad we hung in there- as it was a really good show and a wonderful way to pass an hour.

After that, I was ready to turn in... Jon and I headed up- and decided to take a quick peek at the recording of the Marriage Match Game. Oh boy... It was nice to see/hear Jon’s sweet answers when I had the headphones on. I am pretty sure I only used a few words to answer each question... making me pretty succinct. Jon is the king of the one liner.  I was odd seeing ourselves that way. Ummm... that might have been a once and done for sure.

And then it was lights out. Both literally and figuratively. Another lovely day aboard the Regal Princess in the books.

Are you going to finish that panna cotta?

Thank you for following along.

More later,

TL

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, vickie_bernie said:

So happy to see you doing a live thread.  Just got all caught up.  Also I am so happy for you and Jon.  One day we will meet up.

It is currently turn around day here on the Majestic.  We start week 3 of 5.  

Cheers

Vickie and Bernie 

Thank you!   We will get it sorted… find time for that cruise!

I am so excited for you… I hope your gig as Port Lecturer is going better than hoped for! I just know you are killing it!

Happy sails to you!!! We promise to leave her in great shape!!

15 hours ago, I object 2 said:

Thanks for sharing your cruise with all of us, Tracie.  We board the Regal in January for a b2b.  Can't wait!!!!   Your "Live From" is putting me in packing mode.  LOL

15 hours ago, MustangGT said:

We will board the Regal on 12/29 for a B2B - cannot wait!

Thanks to Tracie for giving us insights and increasing our excitement!

Fair winds! 🚢

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyskie said:

Morning - getting ready for our covid test and flying tomorrow for Monday Embarkation, woo hoo!

Curious to know who the Captain is?  We've been on the Regal multiple times and had                        Capt Tim Stringer.  What a nice man, he even joined us for afternoon tea (impromptu).  💗

Hope to get to meet you onboard, enjoy!

It would be so fun to meet you too!  Two more go-to-sleeps!!!

November 27, 2021

Day 6

Cozumel, Mexico

Last Ship Out of Mexico

Hola friends-

Another beautiful day in cruise land... and not quite as much to report.

I love sleeping at sea. It is often the best sleep I ever get. I slept a bit later than Jon- who took himself to the CC MDR for breakfast- but not before he brought me coffee and a glass of milk. I am feeling super stuffy, so I started my day with a protein shake. Once Jon returned, we headed up to the Sanctuary to start the day.

We are not as interested in the ports as we are the ship, so there was no solid plan for whether or not we would get off to see the sights. After a healthy lunch in the Sanctuary (gazpacho, salad, fruit, shrimp and white beans), Jon decided to see if he could find the Michigan/ Ohio State game on the TV in our cabin.

I sloughed off my Sanctuary clothes, and put on some shorts and a tee to head into port. I enjoy walking... and this was a great way to get my daily walk in. The port area appears to be doing ok... but once you cross the street... so many shops and businesses are closed. I found a little mall- with a Mexican version of a dollar store! I bought a much needed item at a serious discount. Score.

I also purchased some chocolate for Jon. I am not a huge fan of chocolate, but he enjoys a bit of it now and then. After that, I made my way back to the ship. As a side note, the Medallion app has been working well. And for the most part, my medallion (the little piece of hardware) has done ok... but every time I get off the ship, they have to enter my data manually. Definitely some growing pains.

I headed back up the Sanctuary while Jon finished watching the game. Tea was being served. The Serenity Stewards are like little scone pushers... They asked were Jon was and then determined that I needed to bring him something. We finally settled on a scone- but they insisted on 2 scones. Jon was thrilled.

We decided on an earlier dinner. P2 and PC ate a late lunch at their fav place in town, so Jon and I were left to our own devices. Tonight was Twice Baked Goat Cheese Soufflé! That was my main. I had a salad and chilled carrot soup for starters.

And then I needed to go to bed. I hate missing out on the festivities, but every so often, I just need to go to bed early. Jon wandered around the ship and I slept.

I am awake for a minute or two, so I thought I would get the day documented. Tomorrow is a sea day and the last day of this leg of the cruise. We stay on for the next segment, so there may be a few more shenanigans to be shared.

Anyone want to get a pot of tea in the IC?

Thanks for following along.

More later-

TL

• Like 6

10 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

Loving your reports, as always.  Nice-looking groom there; well done, you! 

I'm considering a last-minute cruise on the Regal over Christmas, so don't mess up the ship.  And leave some goat cheese souffle for the rest of us.

Hey Annie!

We promise to leave the ship just as we found it… all shiny and very sanitized!

I hope all is well with you!

TL

• Like 2

Historically Princess ships in the USA are Xmas decorated on the first turn around day in December, and are contracted out to onshore companies who come aboard during turn around , and are finished and off the ship by embarkation time. The reverse takes place on the first turn around day in January . 

Over sea's ships are done by crew members onboard with pre-shipped decorations & with stored onboard decorations.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, srpilo said:

Historically Princess ships in the USA are Xmas decorated on the first turn around day in December, and are contracted out to onshore companies who come aboard during turn around , and are finished and off the ship by embarkation time. The reverse takes place on the first turn around day in January . 

Over sea's ships are done by crew members onboard with pre-shipped decorations & with stored onboard decorations.

I have been on Mexican cruises where it is over the New Years. The Christmas decor start disappearing on the 30, 31st and by the 1st or 2nd, it is all gone. So it isn't done on turn around days in port. I remember it being a sea day and in the morning, the Christmas tree was by the elevator and by afternoon, it was gone. It was weird. I never saw people take them down but they just disappeared as the cruise went on.

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have been on Mexican cruises where it is over the New Years. The Christmas decor start disappearing on the 30, 31st and by the 1st or 2nd, it is all gone. So it isn't done on turn around days in port. I remember it being a sea day and in the morning, the Christmas tree was by the elevator and by afternoon, it was gone. It was weird. I never saw people take them down but they just disappeared as the cruise went on.

Gee thanks ... Your experience must be correct then (?)

53 minutes ago, srpilo said:

Thank you!  So I think that would be Dec. 4 for Regal.

On the same topic, I read somewhere that it "snows" in the atrium on Princess ships.  Does this only take place during the cruise over Christmas Day, or during the whole month of December? TIA.

November 28, 2021

Day 7

Somewhere in the Great Big Ocean

Hi friends-

This is the last day of this leg of our vacay. You know you are having a wonderful time when you begin thinking of ways to stay on for another trip around the pond... More will be revealed...

We are on a B2B- it says so right in the thread title. So far, it has been charmed. We can’t say enough good things about the staff, crew, food, COVID management, etc... I know that these are trying times, but I am so glad that we decided to take the plunge (not literally...).

This morning I woke to sound of Jon swirling ice cubes in my iced coffee... He is truly the best. We had to hoof it down to the Allegro Dining Room for our “in transit” COVID tests. For those of you who are curious- we were the 6th to arrive. We showed them a letter where we had been assigned a number. They gave us each a swab with our name and cabin number on it. We were shown to a separate station (almost like a booth- they had set up curtains around it). Someone from the medical staff took our swab packet, opened it, swabbed our nose, put the swab back into the package- and sent us on our way. The whole process took about 8 minutes from start to finish.

We headed up and over to the Concerto Dining Room for breakfast. I stuck with fruit only. Jon had some oatmeal. We are trying to pace ourselves a little bit. Plus, the MDR lunch is one of my favorites.

We sat with the Future Cruise rep. We are seriously trying to figure out if we want to extend this B2B to a B2B2B. Because we are on a bit of a special deal, we will not know if the conditions meet our terms until tomorrow. The office that we need to communicate with is closed on the weekends. It really is a whim- so we will be happy however it lands.

While we were waiting for our turn, I chatted with the Captain’s Circle Hostess, Patrizia. Here are the passenger stats for our current cruise:

• 1385 total
  • 725 blue
  • 210 gold
  • 100 ruby
  • 220 platinum
  • 130 elite
  • The MTG Lunch cut was 230 days
  • The MT Guests have 2224 days (that is just flat out impressive!)

P2 and PC made the cut at 265+ days.

I slept in the Sanctuary for the rest of the morning. It has been exceptionally quiet today. I hope this trend continues. In truth, the whole ship has been quiet. The energy is a little different than other cruises I have been on. I like it, but others have mentioned that it is too subdued for them.

Our lunch in the MDR was delicious. I had the gazpacho, the tortellini in veal broth, the stuffed yellow pepper... and one of my most favorite desserts- the blueberry roulade. I am pretty sure we will be eating more lightly for dinner. This was a big meal.

And now... we are back in the Sanctuary... and this is where I will leave you... because Afternoon Tea Service is about to begin.

Would you like cream and jelly with your scone?

Thank you for following along-

More later-

TL

• Like 8

So enjoying your blog - great information and wonderful writing style.  Thx for taking time to post.  I am enjoying it so much that my fingers are crossed that you will be able to do the third voyage so there are more posts!

Have you noticed any ballroom dancing on this sailing ?

14 hours ago, linaka625 said:

I read somewhere that it "snows" in the atrium on Princess ships.  Does this only take place during the cruise over Christmas Day, or during the whole month of December? TIA.

Several years ago they did have the "snow" some of the time during December on the Grand class ships. I do not know if they ever did it on the Royal class.

Of course the "snow" always "melted" before it reached the floor.

But I think they did discontinue it even before the pandemic.

010 12.24.09 Artificial snow in the atrium 101_8876.JPG

008 12.25.09 Artificial snow in the atrium 101_8961.JPG

• Like 1