January 9 HOTS change of ports

zoepipes

Received notice of change of ports from  Falmouth and Labadee to St. Thomas and St. Kitts.  It was something I was expecting and I'm kind of excited.  While we've been to St. Thomas many times, we've never been to St. Kitts.  Anyone have suggestions for things to do once you get there?

9 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

Received notice of change of ports from  Falmouth and Labadee to St. Thomas and St. Kitts.  It was something I was expecting and I'm kind of excited.  While we've been to St. Thomas many times, we've never been to St. Kitts.  Anyone have suggestions for things to do once you get there?

I love forts. If you do then a trip to the Brimstone Fortress is very worth the time. It is an interesting fort and the views are spectacular.

The railroad tour is pretty good excursion also. It is a bit pricey and you tend to see more of the back country rather than the highlights. I tend to recommend that for subsequent visits to the island rather than a first visit.

Our first time there we toured with Thenford Grey. He does a great tour for a first visit hitting the highlights includiing the fortress. He has a website. Just google Thenford Grey St. Kitts if you are interested.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zoepipes said:

#1 - Avoid the people with the monkeys.  Aggressive like the people who dress up in costumes in Times Square.

There's a nicer looking shopping area right off of the ship.  But it's a lot of chain stores.  You can hit a bar, buy a drink, and get an hour of wifi if you don't get it on the ship.

We trusted a cab driver's recommendation to journey over to Shipwreck's bar.  The ride over some big hills is great (though we did have that feeling of "will we ever be seen again" till we got there), the prices are reasonable, there's a small beach there with chairs (not in the best of shape, so make sure you bring towels).  They have a web site.  Cab driver returned to pick us up in plenty of time to get back to the ship.

If I were going to splurge on a ship-based excursion I would consider the trip to Nevis, not something I would do on my own.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love forts. If you do then a trip to the Brimstone Fortress is very worth the time. It is an interesting fort and the views are spectacular.

The railroad tour is pretty good excursion also. It is a bit pricey and you tend to see more of the back country rather than the highlights. I tend to recommend that for subsequent visits to the island rather than a first visit.

Our first time there we toured with Thenford Grey. He does a great tour for a first visit hitting the highlights includiing the fortress. He has a website. Just google Thenford Grey St. Kitts if you are interested.

As @Ocean Boy said those are all great tours to do.   

St kitts currently allows passengers to get off ship to shop in fenced in port area and can arrange tours with the local tour guides that are allowed in this fenced area or you can do ship excursions.

We have done the tour with fort and the scenic railway which was a lot of fun

We love carambola beach which is about 1/2 mile or less from the shipwreck bar.  Beautiful beaches in that area with a nice view of Nevis.  Should be able to get one of the local tours as royal is currently not offering that beach. At least not on my january sailing.

Also it is a very nice scenic drive to carambola beach.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zoepipes said:

Carambola Beach Club on St. Kitts is very nice.  Or an excursion to Nevis for an island tour.

• Like 1

I am on this cruise as well.   Keep this in mind...  St. Kitts is one of the ports that requires you to do a ship's tour if you go out of the port area.  Not sure if it will still apply in January...but I am guessing it will be extended.  Make sure you find out before you prepay for outside tour.  

Vaccinated Guests
Fully vaccinated parties may book a shore excursion or visit most ports freely — with the exception of those listed below, which will require tours for all guests who wish to go ashore in November and December, regardless of their vaccination status.

• St. Lucia
  • Barbados
  • St. Kitts

40 minutes ago, island lady said:

I am on this cruise as well.   Keep this in mind...  St. Kitts is one of the ports that requires you to do a ship's tour if you go out of the port area.  Not sure if it will still apply in January...but I am guessing it will be extended.  Make sure you find out before you prepay for outside tour.  

Vaccinated Guests
Fully vaccinated parties may book a shore excursion or visit most ports freely — with the exception of those listed below, which will require tours for all guests who wish to go ashore in November and December, regardless of their vaccination status.

• St. Lucia
  • Barbados
  • St. Kitts
  • St. Lucia
  • Barbados
  • St. Kitts

At the above destinations, vaccinated guests may depart the ship and visit the enclosed port area on their own. If they wish to visit further into the island, they must have booked a Royal Caribbean shore excursion, or participate in a government approved tour. The government approved tours are unaffiliated with Royal Caribbean. 

You should of added this.

40 minutes ago, jessed said:
  • St. Lucia
  • Barbados
  • St. Kitts

At the above destinations, vaccinated guests may depart the ship and visit the enclosed port area on their own. If they wish to visit further into the island, they must have booked a Royal Caribbean shore excursion, or participate in a government approved tour. The government approved tours are unaffiliated with Royal Caribbean. 

You should of added this.

"government approved" tour?   😳  Not something I think I will take advantage of.  😉 

Still...the bottom line I was pointing out....is you can't (so far anyway) just walk off out of the port area to tour on your own.  Vaxxed or not.  

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

"government approved" tour?   😳  Not something I think I will take advantage of.  😉 

Still...the bottom line I was pointing out....is you can't (so far anyway) just walk off out of the port area to tour on your own.  Vaxxed or not.  

Yeah, don't know what a government approved tour is. I was thinking it might be like in Jamaica where all the licensed drivers are in the gated port area and marked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jessed said:

Yeah, don't know what a government approved tour is. I was thinking it might be like in Jamaica where all the licensed drivers are in the gated port area and marked.

I contacted St. Kitts tourism.  It is possible to book a government approved tour at a kiosk in port facility.   The idea of a government approved tour is that they keep passengers in a bubble that are only in contact with locals who have been vaccinated, destinations are limited.    Hope this helps.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OntarioCruiser38 said:

I contacted St. Kitts tourism.  It is possible to book a government approved tour at a kiosk in port facility.   The idea of a government approved tour is that they keep passengers in a bubble that are only in contact with locals who have been vaccinated, destinations are limited.    Hope this helps.  

Thanks.