Internet package differences

jstrutton

Thinking about getting the internet package for our upcoming cruise.  What is the major differences between the social, value and premium packages?  We are thinking about watching some YouTube videos but don’t know if it is worth the premium package.  I would imagine regardless of package purchased that your device will connect the same WiFi system.  Given my preference ! I would be happy paying for the value package as long as we can get decent service.  My issue would be if we paid for the premium and it didn’t work correctly then I would be very happy and I’m sure we probably couldn’t get a refund from carnival. 

any thought would be appreciated. 

jay

I'd also like to know.  On a recent celebrity sailing:

Basic = iMessage only (couldn't send/receive texts to non-iPhone user), no phone calls or streaming

Premium = Claimed at least twice as fast, could stream, could text any number and could make phone calls

I have used both Social and Value.  The former limits you to a handful of websites such as FB, etc.  Value gives you full internet access at modest speeds.  I need the latter to access my own consulting firm's email, as an example.  As I have active cases, this is necessary for me.

We have used all three packages over time.  Started lower and ended up higher.  I will not go less than premium again.  It is just a few dollars more and can be shared.  We purchase one package for my husband and I to use.  (Pet peeve...he always says he doesn't care about internet, but when I try to go online, he has the internet tied up and I have to kick him off. 🙄)  If the other one has stayed logged in, all you have to do is switch users and bam, you are online.  Not sure I would share with a teen.  We were just on the Mardi Gras and the internet was great!  Not like at home, but not bad at all.  I used to be soooo frustrated trying to access e-mail and such and have everything just take forever to load.  Now, the Mardi Gras has upgraded wifi access points.  Maybe an older ship wouldn't be worth the extra if there is limited range.  I say go with the highest package you can afford.   

Not great... I had the Premium package 2 weeks ago. on the Panorama,  it would stream music and netflix ok, but it still had lag time searching the web. netflix would buffer just a little but considering you are in the middle of the ocean it was tolerable. downloaded a book on kindle it was pretty quick 

Edited by woodey

On most of the ships I have been on, Value is fine for my needs, mostly email to keep in touch with DH who usually doesn’t cruise.  It also does acceptably well for web surfing.  I don’t stream or do social media, and I don’t have to work on the ship.  On one ship the Value was too slow for me and I was able to upgrade to Premium onboard.

Edited by nwcruiselover

I have yet to be on a Carnival ship where the internet was very good, and I've always had "Premium".  I just got off of Pride yesterday and tried watching the last few minutes of a football game on my youtube-tv account.  Yes, I could access it, but the quality was horrible and it kept buffering every 30 seconds or so.

So which is the cheapest to access just iMessage?  Me and kids will pay for premium but just want to be able to text husband who won't need/use internet....  Thanks!  Sorry if this is a bit of a hijack!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kabux said:

So which is the cheapest to access just iMessage?  Me and kids will pay for premium but just want to be able to text husband who won't need/use internet....  Thanks!  Sorry if this is a bit of a hijack!

Social gives you access to Instant Messaging.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Social gives you access to Instant Messaging.

If all you need to do is stay in touch with others in your group you can do that without purchasing an internet plan.  There's a chat feature which is part of the Carnival Hub app and the cost is $5 per person to use it.  

I purchased the value plan on the Horizon a few weeks ago. It worked pretty well overall for email and web surfing. OccasionalIy it was slow. I was able to watch YouTube videos (about 10 min long) of my favorite gym workout.