Government approved tours

kac911

We will be on a cruise with a stop in Grenada in a few weeks now (mid Dec), and according to RCL, we can do our own tour so long as it is "government approved", any one know what this means or how I can confirm my tour is government approved?

On 11/25/2021 at 9:33 PM, kac911 said:

We will be on a cruise with a stop in Grenada in a few weeks now (mid Dec), and according to RCL, we can do our own tour so long as it is "government approved", any one know what this means or how I can confirm my tour is government approved?

This was shared within our RC - https://www.puregrenada.com/approved-tourism-services/

6 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

FYI: On Celebrity Equinox now (29 Nov, 2021).

Shore Ex manager just told us we are the first Celebrity ship to stop here of the season. 
Not “free form” , cannot wander on your own, but will report back next week on  gov’t approved availability. 

Please do report back if you can. We’ll be there on the Equinox in January. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2022 at 3:07 PM, islandguy50 said:

We will be on a Celebrity cruise in late February and wanted to see if anyone tell me if we are free to get off the ship in Grenada and take the water taxis over to Grand Anse beach ? 

water taxis were not approved in December.  You will probably have to wait to see what your protocol will be.  That's the best answer you will get.  We were able to have an approved taxi take us to Grand Anse but we had to have the same taxi back to keep the bubble going.  We did arrange a snorkeling tour that was approved by pure Grenada.  Taxi, beach cost us $120 ($40 for cab, $30 for chairs, $30 for food and $20 tip).  Snorkeling trip $140.  So $260 total.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for you help with the water taxis, hopefully things will change by the end of February but suspect we will experience the same challenges. Were you able to just walk off the ship In Grenada and book your excursion at the cruise ship dock the morning you arrived? Were there many tour operators/options available to choose from at the port? Did you find the tour prices inflated or reasonable? 

Appreciate your help.

If you've ever been to Grenada, you knw that you exit the ship pier through a mall. Tour guides are right at the beginning of the mall and have their own exit.

To walk out on you own, you go through the mall and exit to the street at the far end, to the square where the spice kiosks are. 

When I was there in Dec, there were guides there as before. I did not go out, but Jean indicated you could approach and hire them to take you somewhere. 

The far exit that leads to the spice ladies was blocked, with no option to go out alone.

I cannot comment about costs, but frankly nothing is very expensive in any of these islands.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2022 at 6:54 AM, islandguy50 said:

Thanks for you help with the water taxis, hopefully things will change by the end of February but suspect we will experience the same challenges. Were you able to just walk off the ship In Grenada and book your excursion at the cruise ship dock the morning you arrived? Were there many tour operators/options available to choose from at the port? Did you find the tour prices inflated or reasonable? 

Appreciate your help.

Can you please update on how your visit was there. We are going in a  couple of weeks and would like to know if the water taxi was going. 

We were there on the March 19th.  The water taxi was running.  It was $10 round trip.  It was to the left of the pier when you walk off.  You paid up front and they gave you a ticket to come back.  It was a 20 minute or so ride over to Grand Anse beach.  The only problem was they wait for the boat to be full so it could be awhile.  The number of boats they have running depends on the number of cruise ships in port.  There was only 2 running.   We had to wait awhile to come back to the ship.  You can see the taxi from the beach.  If you see it almost full and you think you may want to leave soon, I would jump on.  

The couple next to us came by taxi and paid $20 each way.  We might opt to do that next time if the taxi has a long wait.  

The beach was really nice.  We rented 2 chairs/umbrella for $20.  There were people coming around if you wanted drink/food.  I think we paid $3 for a caribe.  There was open wifi from the Spice Market right there.  We paid $1 to use restroom.  It was clean.  

Edited by Wrunkles

Thanks for the information about both Grenada and Barbados. Great to hear about Grenada - that's one of our favorite stops.

Was a current covid test required in Barbados as their protocol states? Did you have to get a covid test in order to grab a cab to Carlile Bay?

Did you happen to go to St. Lucia?  I have the same questions about covid tests and cabs in St. Lucia. We usually grab a cab and go to Rodney Bay. 

Your information was very helpful. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, RedInOhio said:

Thanks for the information about both Grenada and Barbados. Great to hear about Grenada - that's one of our favorite stops.

Was a current covid test required in Barbados as their protocol states? Did you have to get a covid test in order to grab a cab to Carlile Bay?

Did you happen to go to St. Lucia?  I have the same questions about covid tests and cabs in St. Lucia. We usually grab a cab and go to Rodney Bay. 

Your information was very helpful. Thanks again.

In Barbados we came in on a ship so nothing was required for us to get off.  The ship might have provided that info to the government.   We were able to get a cab right there.  They did have us carry our vaccination cards but was never asked for it.  

We did go to St. Lucia but took a celebrity excursion and it picked us up right at the port so we didn't go outside the gates.  At that port we all had to wear a white wristband that they gave us on the ship.  There was a couple we talked to that had gone into town for shopping and to eat so I think you can go out on your own there.