Carnival Kitchen (Mardi Gras or other)

mmtska

I was looking for more information on the Carnival Kitchen. My husband and I are interested in the Tailgating, BBQ or Pie classes, but I can’t find a lot of info about them. Has anyone tried one of the classes on the Mardi Gras? Or on one of the other ships? Ideas of what you make? Good? Bad? Ugly? Thank you!!

My husband took the barbeque class on the Panorama and we are signed up for the pasta class on our next trip.  He enjoyed it.  I thought the pasta class sounded fun and you prepare lunch, so it gives us a different dining experience for a sea day.  I understand with the pie class, you prepare your pie and they serve it in the dining room for dinner.  Not sure if its still this way, but it is making me skip the dessert classes because we don't usually eat in the dining room.  I was going to sign up for the sushi class, but the timing wasn't right for our trip.  I signed up for the teppanyaki lunch instead.

My daughter and I took the pie class last month on the Panorama and it was a blast! Well organized and fun. They delivered our pies to us at the Italian restaurant for dessert. They will deliver them to any restaurant for dessert or you can pick them up and take them your cabin.

I’m adding some pics. They of course had a photographer come around but we had our masks on so I didn’t buy them. 

The funny part is - I don’t like pie and had never made one 😂 Mom, years of cooking and baking 😂 My kids like them though and it was so thing my daughter and I could do together.

They email you the recipe right after the cruise and give you a terrible spatula that falls apart lol. 

We enjoyed it so much like the poster above, that we are taking the pasta class for NYE cruise back on the Panorama. We won’t take a spatula this time though, less to add to the landfill. 

We gave away my pie (who needs 2 pies?) and my daughter had some of hers. Everyone says they were good. I don’t like apple pie or most other pies so idk 😂

Let us know if take a class 😃

D4AF8076-83C6-442D-A5DC-D544B780FC7E.jpeg

82FEE9AA-8120-48F7-823B-356964093660.jpeg

C190ABC9-F99C-4A32-B605-D65931066ECA.jpeg

BCDC7DAF-7193-4B56-9E04-BAE76C3D6BD0.jpeg

D94BC767-14D2-44AD-B806-AA7E321BEE58.jpeg

• Like 1

My daughter and I took the pie class last month on the Panorama and it was a blast! Well organized and fun. They delivered our pies to us at the Italian restaurant for dessert. They will deliver them to any restaurant for dessert or you can pick them up and take them your cabin. They serve them on a plate but box them up as well.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

A friend of mine took the class where they made ice cream, a waffle cone, and something else.  You can look under the Specialty Dining tab of your cruise manager and sign up for the one you like.

I know, but I’m looking for more information. The more details tab isn’t giving me the details I’m looking for 🙂

2 hours ago, fabby50 said:

My husband took the barbeque class on the Panorama and we are signed up for the pasta class on our next trip.  He enjoyed it.  I thought the pasta class sounded fun and you prepare lunch, so it gives us a different dining experience for a sea day.  I understand with the pie class, you prepare your pie and they serve it in the dining room for dinner.  Not sure if its still this way, but it is making me skip the dessert classes because we don't usually eat in the dining room.  I was going to sign up for the sushi class, but the timing wasn't right for our trip.  I signed up for the teppanyaki lunch instead.

Oh that makes sense with the pasta class! I’m leaning towards that now haha. 

16 minutes ago, mmtska said:

Oh that makes sense with the pasta class! I’m leaning towards that now haha. 

on the barbeque class, my husband said they gave them a tour of the barbeque kitchen, they prepared a brisket, but since they take a long time to roast, they didn't get to eat what they prepared at the time.  We went to the Asian restaurant for dinner and they brought him his brisket, which he could barely eat because we had finished dinner 🙂  After the class, they had lunch at the barbeque place.  We're looking forward to making pasta - 

14 hours ago, mmtska said:

I was looking for more information on the Carnival Kitchen. My husband and I are interested in the Tailgating, BBQ or Pie classes, but I can’t find a lot of info about them. Has anyone tried one of the classes on the Mardi Gras? Or on one of the other ships? Ideas of what you make? Good? Bad? Ugly? Thank you!!

According to what I could find out, the classes are only available on the Mardi Gras and the Panorama.  On the MG, there are 10 different classes, with 8 of them available once per sailing and two of them (pasta or cupcakes) available twice.  On sea days the times are 10-12-3 and on port days it's 1 class at 1130.  The other 8 classes are cake decorating, sushi, pie baking, tailgating, ice cream making, pit grilling, pizza, & brunch.   We have a B2B reserved for February and the only class fully booked at this time is the pit grill class on 2/10 @ 12.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gotscrapz said:

My daughter and I took the pie class last month on the Panorama and it was a blast! Well organized and fun. They delivered our pies to us at the Italian restaurant for dessert. They will deliver them to any restaurant for dessert or you can pick them up and take them your cabin. They serve them on a plate but box them up as well.

Were you stuck with apple pie only or did you have other choices to make?

15 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Were you stuck with apple pie only or did you have other choices to make?

On that day it was apple and from what I’ve seen it’s only been apple so far. The chef had said they will rotate in other pies for different quarters / months through the year.

21 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

According to what I could find out, the classes are only available on the Mardi Gras and the Panorama.  On the MG, there are 10 different classes, with 8 of them available once per sailing and two of them (pasta or cupcakes) available twice.  On sea days the times are 10-12-3 and on port days it's 1 class at 1130.  The other 8 classes are cake decorating, sushi, pie baking, tailgating, ice cream making, pit grilling, pizza, & brunch.   We have a B2B reserved for February and the only class fully booked at this time is the pit grill class on 2/10 @ 12.

The pasta, sushi, pie, and put grill seem to book the fastest from what I see. We prebooked and there was a lot open but most sold out day one on board - all those that had lots of OBC I’d guess. We didn’t have any so went ahead and booked. For our NYE cruise the pie and sushi are sold out so far.

• Like 1

I did the cupcake class on the MG last week. It was not what I expected. I should have read the info more closely because we spent about 45 minutes “making” the cupcakes, like adding sugar and flour to the bowls and heating the ingredients up.  and did not have much time to do the decorating itself.  I thought I was signing up for cupcake decorating.

I also thought I signed up for an 1130 am class so I was a bit surprised when it started at 12 and bingo started at 1. when I asked to get the 4 cupcakes to go, they said I could only take one. I went to guest services to let them know of the miscommunication but haven’t heard back yet.  I prob shouldn’t have left the class early. Didn’t win Bingo anyway LOL

4 hours ago, racheyyy1129 said:

I did the cupcake class on the MG last week. It was not what I expected. I should have read the info more closely because we spent about 45 minutes “making” the cupcakes, like adding sugar and flour to the bowls and heating the ingredients up.  and did not have much time to do the decorating itself.  I thought I was signing up for cupcake decorating.

I also thought I signed up for an 1130 am class so I was a bit surprised when it started at 12 and bingo started at 1. when I asked to get the 4 cupcakes to go, they said I could only take one. I went to guest services to let them know of the miscommunication but haven’t heard back yet.  I prob shouldn’t have left the class early. Didn’t win Bingo anyway LOL

You were only allowed 1 cupcake instead of the 4 you made?  You get the entire pie when you make it.  Makes no sense.

5 hours ago, racheyyy1129 said:

I wasn't super interested in the cupcake or cake classes, but this makes me less interested. I can bake cake. My decorating skills? I need a class on that lol!! Also why would you only be able to take 1 cupcake? Like what's going to happen with the other ones?? Thank you for this experience though. Going to pass on this class! 

I am not sure why but I was told I could only take one. I asked to take them to go at about 1253 ish so I could go to the 1 pm bingo and they said I could only take one. My cupcakes looked terrible anyway and were really messy so I just took a bite of one and left them. 🥲. I would like to hear others experience since maybe I was an exception. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I did the pasta class on the panorama we had a blast!  So did everyone in the class.  There are 10 2-person stations with all your ingredients.  The chef teaches in the front and he has 2 helpers who go around helping along with himself.  There is a ipad with the instructions if you want to read along.  We finished we all had lunch together. 

I hope this is more info that you wanted.  🙂

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BossyKat said:

I did the pasta class on the panorama we had a blast!  So did everyone in the class.  There are 10 2-person stations with all your ingredients.  The chef teaches in the front and he has 2 helpers who go around helping along with himself.  There is a ipad with the instructions if you want to read along.  We finished we all had lunch together. 

Thanks for the info.  That's the reason I signed up for the pasta class - from the opinions I've read, that seems to be everyone's favorite.  I really wanted to do the sushi one, but its not at a good time for us.

If you sign up alone, will they pair you with another person at the same station or do you get to work solo?  My husband and I are going to be on Mardi Gras in January and I'm signed up for the sushi class and he's signed up for the pit grill class, but we aren't taking them together (he's not into sushi and I'm not into BBQ).  

On our recent Panorama cruise we had signed up for the sushi, pasta, and BBQ classes. The sushi class was on the first sea day and was a huge disappointment. You only cook the rice and then roll together pre-cut fish and pre-cooked shrimp along with pre-sliced accompaniments. I don't consider mixing mayo and siracha "cooking". If you want to learn about how to cook rice or the "secret" of spicy mayo, then this is the class for you. I thought we'd get into slicing of the fish, but the knives they give you could hardly slice the completed roll since they were so dull. Full disclosure, I have been to culinary school and am a more than competent home cook, so my expectations might have been set too high. 

Next up was the BBQ class, which we were very much looking forward to. We arrived 10 minutes before the scheduled time as instructed and sat at the group table waiting for some type of communication to happen or the chef to start the class. By 12:20 (20 minutes late) no one had said anything about a delay, or communicated with us at all. The chef was kind of still setting up stuff when we just gave up and left, asking for a refund at the guest services desk. They agreed and a refund was given. 

We also had signed up for the pasta class, but given that our sushi experience wasn't as thorough as expected and the BBQ class left us hanging, I decided just to cancelled our pasta class, with a refund given as well. 

I agree with the others that the spatula gift was a nice thought, but a poor quality gift.

On 11/29/2021 at 3:44 PM, BossyKat said:

Yes thank you! The pasta class sounds great. Man, I wish I could use my OBC for these classes, but I definitely feel they'll be booked by then!