London to South Hampton Cruise Terminal

Chicago44

Will not be going from Heathrow.  I’ll be in London.  I’ve taken the train before, I don’t recall the walk being that easy, especially with luggage.  In addition, I recall issues with storing luggage at your seat.  I wasn’t a fan of leaving the bags unattended in another train car.  

4 minutes ago, Chicago44 said:

Not sure where in London yet.  Interested in shared ride info, 

Are you staying in London pre cruise, or are you coming from the airport?

If , for example, you are heading to Southampton direct from Heathrow then you want to avoid going into London, which rules out the train. There are buses as mentioned above and other transfers. If you arrange a transfer then there are options to visit some places like Windsor or Stonehenge on the way.

If you are staying in London then the train does become an option if you don't mind using public transport. Waterloo to Southampton is a direct train journey and, as stated above, you are then close to the cruise port (walkable from some piers). Waterloo is very close to Westminster and there are lots of hotels nearby, so is a good base if you are going that way.

Transfers will also be an option from Central London, but will take quite a while to get out of London by road (depending on the time obviously).

1 minute ago, Chicago44 said:

Will not be going from Heathrow.  I’ll be in London.  I’ve taken the train before, I don’t recall the walk being that easy, especially with luggage.  In addition, I recall issues with storing luggage at your seat.  I wasn’t a fan of leaving the bags unattended in another train car.  

In that case there is really just one option, which is to arrange a ride. I can't help with any details, but I would just say its worth posting on your roll call in case others want to share the journey.

8 hours ago, Chicago44 said:

What’s the best way to get to the cruise terminal in South Hampton from London? 

We take a taxi to Waterloo and the Southwest train to Southampton Central, then taxi again to the terminal. If you are embarking on a weekend, the Southwest train offers a Weekend First to upgrade to first class for £5

There are faster trains and slower trains (more stops), so check the schedule. 

At least you have the option of taking the transfer. We did a "London" cruise that was from Dover, not Southampton, and the cruise line (Princess) had no transfer from London. We took the National Express train.

In 2020 we did have a cruise booked from "London" Southampton which of course was cancelled. What we were going to do is stay at a hotel by Gate 5 where our plane landed, and then store our bags at the hotel while going to London. We would then stay at the hotel by the airport pvernight and take the cruise line transfer from Heathrow the next day.

19 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

If , for example, you are heading to Southampton direct from Heathrow then you want to avoid going into London, which rules out the train.

Actually, there are trains from Heathrow which go to Reading, which is about 40 miles west of London and almost 30 miles west of Heathrow.  You need to change trains at Reading, then it's about another 50 miles south to Southampton.  Maybe not the most convenient way to travel, but certainly a possibility without having to deal with the traffic in Central London.

19 hours ago, Chicago44 said:

Depending on which dock your ship uses, the walk from the Southampton train station could be as short as a half mile or as much as slightly more than a mile and a half.  I've taken trains to and from Southampton several times and never had a problem finding a spot for my luggage nearby my seat.  It can be a bit of a bother getting the bags on or off the train, though, as most train cars require two or three steps up from the station platform.  If you pack light, however, say no more than 30 pounds per bag, it shouldn't be a problem.  If your bags weigh a bit more, or if you prefer assistance in handling your luggage, then the train probably is not your best choice.  I don't mind schlepping my own bag, and I love rail travel, so for me the pendulum swings towards taking a train.  As others have noted, there are direct trains from London's Waterloo Station to Southampton.

Edited by The Traveling Man

We use this car service all the time:  https://www.british-airport-transfers.co.uk

Heathrow to London, London to our family home in Arundel, Arundel to Heathrow and so on.  Usually around 100 to 130 pounds.  Southampton from London is a longer trip so I'd guess it would be more on the order of 150 to 200 quid.  Very reliable.

22 hours ago, Chicago44 said:

What’s the best way to get to the cruise terminal in South Hampton from London? 

Chicago44, suggest you visit Cruise Critic/Ports of Call/Britain. Oodles of good info on Southampton to London from Brits. (Suggest you don’t spell Southampton the US way cuz folks on that board may comment.).

Try to see what poster ‘John Bull’ has to say.

Last time, pre Covid, we used car hire (car and driver). Several acceptable companies - Acquacars, Smiths for Airports etc. Fare, without tip, was about £80 for our trip from the Docks to Heathrow. Two passengers and luggage. Prices have more than likely changed in the last two years. Good luck. Cheers...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Actually, there are trains from Heathrow which go to Reading, which is about 40 miles west of London and almost 30 miles west of Heathrow.  You need to change trains at Reading, then it's about another 50 miles south to Southampton.  Maybe not the most convenient way to travel, but certainly a possibility without having to deal with the traffic in Central London.

To get from Heathrow to Reading by train you have to go via Paddington at the moment (there are plans for a direct route but they are a few years away). At present trains from Heathrow all head East so you can't avoid going into London.

I will, however say that my post which you quoted wasn't quite accurate in that I said that the requirement to head into London rules out the train. I said that because I am on cruise critic where I know that most posters tend to prefer a car over the train, and doing Heathrow to Southampton by train isn't something that most people will want to get involved with.

Like you, I like rail travel, and will usually go by train in preference to taxis or transfers. From Heathrow, I usually take the tube rather than the Heathrow Express. It takes longer, but Paddington is not particularly convenient for many places in London. To get to Waterloo I would just take the tube to Green Park (just under an hour) and then walk to Waterloo (or a couple of stops on the Jubilee line if you have bags).

I know where Reading is, by the way. I lived about 20 miles from there for the first 30 years of my life. 🙂

23 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

To get from Heathrow to Reading by train you have to go via Paddington at the moment (there are plans for a direct route but they are a few years away). At present trains from Heathrow all head East so you can't avoid going into London.

I will, however say that my post which you quoted wasn't quite accurate in that I said that the requirement to head into London rules out the train. I said that because I am on cruise critic where I know that most posters tend to prefer a car over the train, and doing Heathrow to Southampton by train isn't something that most people will want to get involved with.

Like you, I like rail travel, and will usually go by train in preference to taxis or transfers. From Heathrow, I usually take the tube rather than the Heathrow Express. It takes longer, but Paddington is not particularly convenient for many places in London. To get to Waterloo I would just take the tube to Green Park (just under an hour) and then walk to Waterloo (or a couple of stops on the Jubilee line if you have bags).

I know where Reading is, by the way. I lived about 20 miles from there for the first 30 years of my life. 🙂

Well, you're right, of course.  I thought I had checked carefully the connecting details on the British Rail trip planner, but obviously I overlooked the connection at Paddington.  As for my mention of locations and distances, I assumed you knew where Reading is in relationship to Heathrow and Southampton, but I wanted to provide context for the many American CC members who may not be quite so familiar with the geography of Great Britain.  I agree with you on taking the tube to Heathrow.  On our last trip to London we stayed at the Marriott on Cromwell, near the Victoria and Albert Museum.  It was a short three-block walk to the tube station in Earl's Court for a train direct to Heathrow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

KeithJenner, as you are a Reading lad, you know Tutts Clump. My family spent some time there when I was a lad. Loved being on the farm. Cheers...CV...

Actually, I don't know it. There are so many small villages in that area, and it isn't one I know.

I wouldn't say that I was a Reading lad. I lived on the Surrey/Hampshire border (nearer to Guildford) and whilst Reading was the closest big city there were many places we would head instead. I've been to Southampton many more times than Reading, despite it being much further away.

It's lovely round there though. I used to spend a lot of time walking along the Thames (mainly to the East of Reading though). There are many really nice villages.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

It's lovely round there though. I used to spend a lot of time walking along the Thames (mainly to the East of Reading though)...

Agreed! Lovely countryside plus Southampton has a very interesting history including memorial plaques commemorating the departure of the Pilgrims on their way to the New World. Worth seeing!

There are no trains from LHR to Reading it's a coach service rail connection.

For those airport to Southampton 

LHR national express coach best price/time value.

LGW train is best option

Central London coach or train

Depending where you stay, I would train.

There are no cheap coach options from LHR(starts around £10)

From central London you can get fares down to £1 by train or coach.

More convenient at a price...

Car service pretty affordable these days but beware of sharing.

Current rules(which could change) make you connected parties.

If one gets covid you could all get refused boarding or get kicked off later in the cruise.

same applies to NCL transfer.

The coach and train in Southampton are quite close.

From the coach you can walk to the mall and get the elevator up and then the town centre hotels are walkable level downhill

NCL will most likely use the new horizon terminal (or city) 

Walking ok from travel terminus or hotels but taxis are not too expensive.