Pelotons on the Millenium! (perhaps all revolutionized ships)

norwega

We were on the Millenium Nov 10-25.  As a Peloton owner, I was ecstatic to see there were bikes for anyone to use, no fee.  Being in the front and top deck of the ship, there was a bit of movement while on the bike, and I quit the 30 minute ride early as I was getting nauseous.  There were 3 bikes and while I was there, only 1 other person used a bike.  I look forward to using them again in calmer water on future cruises.  Anyone can sign up for a free guest account on the bike.  I highly recommend Ally Love as an instructor.  She uses a variety of music, so pick your favorite.  

• Like 1

The ones on the Connie right now are not useable. There are 4 of them and they removed all the seats.  Having trouble with them holding when being adjusted.  Maybe by next cruise in Dec 3rd back in order but plenty of other equipment.  The next cruise will only have around 700ish I was told. I have a peloton use it regularly at home but enjoying the off from it at this point and from treadmill laps on running deck.  Tho running deck still have the people who really do not pay attention and stand in middle of track and don’t move. Such considerate people out there it’s there own world only that matters.  

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

Dumb question.  What's so special about Peloton bikes, compared to your ordinary fitness center bike?  Do Pelotons provide more resistance, better exercise?  I sure get they are popular, just never been sure why.

They were on the Reflection as well. Not sure about any sort of pay to ride thing. 

Frankly, I don't get the appeal of Peltons since they don't adjust automatically at all from what I understand.  I do have the Nordictrack equivalent, which does incline and resistance automatically.  

But.... not sure I want to sweat that much on a ship and live with those clothes for the rest of the cruise. 

10 hours ago, bikerunner said:

The ones on the Connie right now are not useable. There are 4 of them and they removed all the seats.  Having trouble with them holding when being adjusted.  Maybe by next cruise in Dec 3rd back in order but plenty of other equipment.  The next cruise will only have around 700ish I was told. I have a peloton use it regularly at home but enjoying the off from it at this point and from treadmill laps on running deck.  Tho running deck still have the people who really do not pay attention and stand in middle of track and don’t move. Such considerate people out there it’s there own world only that matters.  

I thought the running track was for running *and* walking.  No?

11 hours ago, D C said:

They were on the Reflection as well. Not sure about any sort of pay to ride thing. 

Frankly, I don't get the appeal of Peltons since they don't adjust automatically at all from what I understand.  I do have the Nordictrack equivalent, which does incline and resistance automatically.  

But.... not sure I want to sweat that much on a ship and live with those clothes for the rest of the cruise. 

The Peloton Bike + does offer automatic resistance adjustment based on the instructor.  It does not have incline like the Nordictrack product and the scenic rides are not as nice as the Nordictrack.

But for the purpose of this being a cruise page; the Pelotons I've seen on the ships have all be original (Gen 1) pelotons (non auto adjusting).  I think the big draw for most cruisers is simply "keeping streaks going" to earn their digital badges and such.

1 hour ago, bikerunner said:

It is but standings and talking  side by side on track is the issue at times 

Agree. And there are some walkers, joggers and runners that don't know track etiquette. That's why I'm always on the track NLT 6:00 AM. I walk for 1.5 hours. By the time 7:30 rolls around and I'm done and when the track starts to get busy. 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Agree. And there are some walkers, joggers and runners that don't know track etiquette. That's why I'm always on the track NLT 6:00 AM. I walk for 1.5 hours. By the time 7:30 rolls around and I'm done and when the track starts to get busy. 

I envy your discipline.

1 hour ago, Team Stag said:

The Peloton Bike + does offer automatic resistance adjustment based on the instructor.  It does not have incline like the Nordictrack product and the scenic rides are not as nice as the Nordictrack.

But for the purpose of this being a cruise page; the Pelotons I've seen on the ships have all be original (Gen 1) pelotons (non auto adjusting).  I think the big draw for most cruisers is simply "keeping streaks going" to earn their digital badges and such.

Didn't even know that Peltons were non-self-adjusting when we bought our Nordictrack. Later, DW said "if I had to adjust it myself... I wouldn't" 😅. I do enjoy the scenic rides. Been on 4 continents without leaving home. 

If streaks and badges are all thing with Peltons, I get it. Seems to be a very leader board focused experience from what I hear from friends with them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Am a big fan of the Peloton workout too. The bikes were in high demand on the Apex and Equinox. The ones on Edge were out of commission for unknown reasons.

I wonder if the ones they have on the ship are part of the ones that Peloton has recalled?

1 hour ago, D C said:

Didn't even know that Peltons were non-self-adjusting when we bought our Nordictrack. Later, DW said "if I had to adjust it myself... I wouldn't" 😅. I do enjoy the scenic rides. Been on 4 continents without leaving home. 

If streaks and badges are all thing with Peltons, I get it. Seems to be a very leader board focused experience from what I hear from friends with them. 

I been doing spinning over 10 plus years.  I got the peloton right before Covid so cwas lucky.  The bike has its good and bad.  I m usually above what instructors call out for cadence n resistance but that is my fitness level. The self adjusting I get but I would not use it for my level, never hard enough. Since I work from home permanently now and gym is 25-30 min away now it makes sense for me to have it.  Use to be in office which was right next door to gym but  times change. Personally I close off leaderboard and all those things. The workout is against myself and what ic expect    I know many people who are just numbers and leaderboards focused.  Not really important in long run.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

I been doing spinning over 10 plus years.  I got the peloton right before Covid so cwas lucky.  The bike has its good and bad.  I m usually above what instructors call out for cadence n resistance but that is my fitness level. The self adjusting I get but I would not use it for my level, never hard enough. Since I work from home permanently now and gym is 25-30 min away now it makes sense for me to have it.  Use to be in office which was right next door to gym but  times change. Personally I close off leaderboard and all those things. The workout is against myself and what ic expect    I know many people who are just numbers and leaderboards focused.  Not really important in long run.  

Right there with ya.  I take a look at the leaderboard for rides just to see if I'm consistent with a relative position in terms of watt output, but it's the avg watts in a workout against my own scale and expectations that I'm really looking at.  Nordictrack recently released an auto-adjust or smart-adjust feature which is nice.  If a ride isn't hard enough, you can use the resistance buttons to bump it up a little or a lot.  In theory, it will 'learn' how much over the instructor you are and adapt accordingly for future rides.  It's capable of compensating to some stupid-high effort levels.  

On 11/30/2021 at 1:35 PM, zitsky said:

Dumb question.  What's so special about Peloton bikes, compared to your ordinary fitness center bike?  Do Pelotons provide more resistance, better exercise?  I sure get they are popular, just never been sure why.

It's not the bike but the video interface. It's like a spin class where the instructor is right there with you, encouraging you to do your best and push yourself. The classes I like most are interval training, getting my heart rate up for 3 minutes or so and then resting for 2 or 3 minutes.  Some are called "intervals and arms" where the class bikes for a song, 3 minutes or so, then stops pedaling and uses the 2 lb weights that are on the back of the bike to do arm/back exercises while the heart rate comes down, then back to biking, repeat 3 times in a 30 minute class.  There are thousands of classes to choose from on demand so one can pick their favorite, inspiring instructor and their favorite music, almost like dancing to the music.  I used to use the bike some at the gym pre Covid.  I just sat there and rode for my  30 minutes watching tv, relatively boring and not uplifting.  I am uplifted by riding to the beat of the music that I enjoy and pushed to keep up with the instructor as I'm not as fit as others.  My current favorite is a class from 11/29, an 80's pop ride with Guns and Roses, AC/DC, Prince, and others.  I do have the bike + which automatically changes tension along with the instructor.  Biking gets my heart rate up more than walking, though I really enjoy walking on the ship as well.  

36 minutes ago, norwega said:

It's not the bike but the video interface. It's like a spin class where the instructor is right there with you, encouraging you to do your best and push yourself. The classes I like most are interval training, getting my heart rate up for 3 minutes or so and then resting for 2 or 3 minutes.  Some are called "intervals and arms" where the class bikes for a song, 3 minutes or so, then stops pedaling and uses the 2 lb weights that are on the back of the bike to do arm/back exercises while the heart rate comes down, then back to biking, repeat 3 times in a 30 minute class.  There are thousands of classes to choose from on demand so one can pick their favorite, inspiring instructor and their favorite music, almost like dancing to the music.  I used to use the bike some at the gym pre Covid.  I just sat there and rode for my  30 minutes watching tv, relatively boring and not uplifting.  I am uplifted by riding to the beat of the music that I enjoy and pushed to keep up with the instructor as I'm not as fit as others.  My current favorite is a class from 11/29, an 80's pop ride with Guns and Roses, AC/DC, Prince, and others.  I do have the bike + which automatically changes tension along with the instructor.  Biking gets my heart rate up more than walking, though I really enjoy walking on the ship as well.  

Do they have Billy Idol?  🙂

On 11/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, zitsky said:

59 minutes ago, norwega said:

I'll concur, though I have the Nordictrack version of the Peloton which automatically varies both resistance and incline.   With a ~22" screen and thousands of different instructor-led rides/exercises available, it's in a lot of ways better than just hopping on a bike for a while and doing your own thing.  I play hockey 2-3x per week for 80 minutes per game.  A 35-40 minute bike workout is far more exhausting. 

I don't care for studio classes, and opt instead for 'on location' rides.  Generally it's someone on a bike with a go-pro strapped to their chest (i.e. your view) following the instructor through whatever/wherever.  The instructor is telling you where you should be for effort and rpm, coaches you along on technique and fitness principles, and you can always make it harder or easier.    Here's a great example of a ride from the perspective of the woman exercising (and she's hilarious) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6h4mmgaEOE

• Haha 1

Love my Peloton & on our recent Apex cruise we used the bikes.  They were not heavily used & if you want a specific time it is good to reserve a time in the spa for the bikes.  I also like Ally Love when I am looking for a "chill" ride but when something more intense is needed I go with Kendall.

Edited by KruznKimmie

On 11/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, zitsky said:

Next time you are on a Celebrity cruise & have access to a bike give it a try as you can ride without a membership.  You will be asked to set up a login but then you can ride for free.