FYI - Anyone flying to Puerto Rico for a cruise

Debifluff

I am on the Epic out of San Juan December 26th so I just happened to be looking up the Covid situation in Puerto Rico and came across their travel regulations.   Anyone flying into Puerto Rico has to fill out their travel declaration.  You have to download your vaccine card, register your travel dates, etc  and then they send you a QR code that I assume they will scan upon your arrival.   I had not seen this requirement mentioned before so I just wanted to give people a heads up.  I believe the site was Travel Safe Puerto Rico

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Debifluff said:

I You have to download your vaccine card, register your travel dates, etc  and then they send you a QR code… 

This is not accurate. You do not need a vaccine card to fly to SJU. If you don’t have a vaccine card you can enter with a negative covid test. This is the exact same procedure as Hawaii. 

of course, those going on a ncl cruise have a vaccine card but those who are not vaccinated can still vacation in Puerto Rico. 

19 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is not accurate. You do not need a vaccine card to fly to SJU. If you don’t have a vaccine card you can enter with a negative covid test. This is the exact same procedure as Hawaii. 

of course, those going on a ncl cruise have a vaccine card but those who are not vaccinated can still vacation in Puerto Rico. 

Yes that's true - but this is a NCL cruise forum - not for general vacations.   I was just giving heads up to other NCL cruisers which all have to have vaccine proof the procedure needed so they would know ahead of time.    

Edited by Debifluff
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Debifluff said:

Yes that's true - but this is a NCL cruise forum - not for general vacations.   I was just giving heads up to other NCL cruisers which all have to have vaccine proof the procedure needed so they would know ahead of time.    

I totally understand. Most here are in the process of researching a cruise, but some will change their minds and stick with a land vacation. I was just trying to keep Information as accurate as possible.i was not trying to be disrespectful to your info. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I’ve travelled to PR multiple times during the pandemic. The travel declaration is super easy to fill out. You present the QR code as you exit the baggage claim area and you’re on your way. It truly expedites things.

If for some reason someone shows up at the airport without vaccination, COVID test (if unvaccinated), or without the QR code, they won’t be stuck there. But they will need to jump through a few additional hoops of fire. They will need to:

• Get a vaccine right at the airport (J&J vaccines available at the airport paid by the passenger)
  • Quarantine until they can take a COVID test. Otherwise face a $300 fine
  • Fill out the information for travel declaration upon arrival at the baggage claim area.

Long story short, have your online declaration form filled out in advance and be ready to show the QR code upon exiting baggage claim. You’ll breeze through the process if you are prepared.

41 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is not accurate. You do not need a vaccine card to fly to SJU. If you don’t have a vaccine card you can enter with a negative covid test

I encourage anybody traveling to Puerto Rico to read the most up to date travel requirements on the Discover Puerto Rico website. While it’s true that currently you can still travel there unvaccinated as long as you have a negative COVID test within the previous 72 hours, your ability to do things as basic as going out to a restaurant will be greatly hindered.

Restaurants and several indoor venues are now requiring patrons to show their vaccine card to grant them admission. If unvaccinated, patrons are then required to show a negative COVID valid within the last 72 hours of visiting that establishment (NOT within 72 hours from arriving in the island, which means that after 3 days, you won’t be able to go out to eat unless you take another test). 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I encourage anybody traveling to Puerto Rico to read the most up to date travel requirements on the Discover Puerto Rico website. While it’s true that currently you can still travel there unvaccinated as long as you have a negative COVID test within the previous 72 hours, your ability to do things as basic as going out to a restaurant will be greatly hindered.

Restaurants and several indoor venues are now requiring patrons to show their vaccine card to grant them admission. If unvaccinated, patrons are then required to show a negative COVID valid within the last 72 hours of visiting that establishment (NOT within 72 hours from arriving in the island, which means that after 3 days, you won’t be able to go out to eat unless you take another test). 

This is also incorrect. I really didn’t intend for this post to get so off track but I think it’s important we post the most complete and accurate picture. 

Restaurants require a vaccine card to dine INDOORS. Since many restaurants In PR offer outdoor dining, unvaccinated visitors will still be able to go to restaurants. 

I am very familiar with the rules because they are basically the same as Hawaii- although PR does seem to be a bit more restrictive . I will be In Maui for 4 months beginning in January and will have unvaccinated family visiting. We will be able to do pretty much everything except dine Indoors and go to gyms and bars. We would rather eat outside anyway and there isn't a single restaurant on Maui that only offers indoor dining (that we are interested in). I have contacted each of the tour agencies they plan to partake in and not one requires a vaccine or neg test. They can’t visit government buildings either but since no one is applying for a building permit, it’s irrelevant ;-).

Of course, like everywhere any visitor should familiarize themselves with the rules of places they visit and be prepared for changes. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

16 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is also incorrect. I really didn’t intend for this post to get so off track but I think it’s important we post the most complete and accurate picture. 

Restaurants require a vaccine card to dine INDOORS. Since many restaurants In PR offer outdoor dining, unvaccinated visitors will still be able to go to restaurants. 

I am very familiar with the rules because they are basically the same as Hawaii- although PR does seem to be a bit more restrictive . I will be In Maui for 4 months beginning in January and will have unvaccinated family visiting. We will be able to do pretty much everything except dine Indoors and go to gyms and bars. We would rather eat outside anyway and there isn't a single restaurant on Maui that only offers indoor dining (that we are interested in). I have contacted each of the tour agencies they plan to partake in and not one requires a vaccine or neg test. They can’t visit government buildings either but since no one is applying for a building permit, it’s irrelevant ;-).

Of course, like everywhere any visitor should familiarize themselves with the rules of places they visit and be prepared for changes. 

Edited to add- it looks like unvaccinated can dine indoors at restaurants in PR if the restaurant operates at 50% capacity. I have no clue how many restaurants chose this route. My point is that just because someone is not vaccinated doesn’t mean they will be ultra-excluded.

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

As per the guidelines in the Discover Puerto Rico website, you’re correct in the sense that the vaccine card/Covid test requirements applies to indoor restaurants, but that wouldn’t invalidate my previous statement. You’re still required to show proof at all indoor restaurants as well as other establishments like hair salons, spas, etc. While there are many establishments that do provide outdoor seating, there are many more that don’t, and in certain locations throughout the island, you’ll be hard pressed to find places with outdoor seating. 

I’m from Puerto Rico and most of my extended family lives there. I’ve been traveling there during most of the pandemic both for leisure and on business every few months (heading back in a few weeks) which is why I’m very familiar with their protocols. I know that protocols are ever changing which is why I recommended reading the most up to date information on their website. 

It’s also worth noting that the pandemic protocols (vaccines, masks, etc) haven’t been heavily politicized in Puerto Rico as they have been in the US mainland, which is why compliance is much higher there with some of the highest vaccination rates and lowest infection rates in all of the US and it’s territories. Anybody going to PR thinking that protocols will be relaxed better think twice. 

84246A01-3958-4711-AB27-E42DB7AEE15D.jpeg

Thanks to all for these newest information.

I also checked if there are any special requirements and found out about that mandatory travel declaration.But this really seems to be easy to fill out.

Vaccination and/or test requirements are not that interesting for me cause i`m flying to PR via the U.S and we europeans need to be fully vaccinated AND tested before we board a plane to the U.S. anyway. 😉

23 hours ago, Debifluff said:

I am on the Epic out of San Juan December 26th so I just happened to be looking up the Covid situation in Puerto Rico and came across their travel regulations.   Anyone flying into Puerto Rico has to fill out their travel declaration.  You have to download your vaccine card, register your travel dates, etc  and then they send you a QR code that I assume they will scan upon your arrival.   I had not seen this requirement mentioned before so I just wanted to give people a heads up.  I believe the site was Travel Safe Puerto Rico

The same is true for folks flying to Hawaii for a cruise. You need to register your trip, upload your vaccination card and provide information on when and where you were vaccinated. 

Yes, you can fly with a negative PCR test, but you won’t be sailing without a vaccination. 

• 4 weeks later...

Debifluff, I am on the Epic on January 2, I had not seen anything about this  Travelsafe requirement for entering PR and NCL do not seem to mention it in their documentation, I will check with my consultant in the AM.

Were you required to show it upon arrival?

Also how did it all work out at the terminal for the Covid testing?  I have listed an arrival time and I assume that is around the time of testing.   I have seen other NCL cruises where people talk about having to make an appointment for their test.   I printed my cruise documents today and see nothing about making an appointment.

Any information you can give me would be appreciated.   

Enjoy your cruise.

16 hours ago, dmh165638 said:

You will now need a negative Covid test 48 hrs or less prior to arriving in PR for any travel origin including the US.

My flight is scheduled to arrive in San Juan at 5:10 PM on Jan. 15.  My plan is to get tested Jan. 13 around 6:00PM.  I'm concerned about what happens if my flight is delayed and we arrive more than 48 hours after my test.  Is the 48 hours contingent on the scheduled or actual ETA?  I'm thinking about rescheduling my test to the morning of the 14th, but even that is no guarantee with the way flights are being canceled.

1 hour ago, MaineYachtClub said:

Is the 48 hours contingent on the scheduled or actual ETA? 

https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/info/travel-guidelines quotes "for questions regarding the airport entry process, travelers should contact the Health Department at 939-592-5115 or infoviajeros@salud.pr.gov", but my uneducated guess is it's likely 48 hours within the moment you are standing in front of the health official at the airport exit. 

Either way, the same site states you have 48 hours to take one if you arrive without one and they do testing in the SJU airport.  So if you get delayed, go to the website, and get the info about airport testing and you're covered at the cost of a few minutes of your time and a $110.

22 hours ago, laxgran2 said:

Debifluff, I am on the Epic on January 2, I had not seen anything about this  Travelsafe requirement for entering PR and NCL do not seem to mention it in their documentation, I will check with my consultant in the AM.

Were you required to show it upon arrival?

Also how did it all work out at the terminal for the Covid testing?  I have listed an arrival time and I assume that is around the time of testing.   I have seen other NCL cruises where people talk about having to make an appointment for their test.   I printed my cruise documents today and see nothing about making an appointment.

Any information you can give me would be appreciated.   

Enjoy your cruise.

You definitely needed to show the QR code after picking up your baggage to even get out of the airport.    Long lines.     I would  suggest you get the NCL shuttle to the ship.   After exiting the airport we boarded big busses which dropped us off at the hotel for testing.    They kept our baggage on the bus and the next time I saw it it was in front of my cabin door.     So make sure you keep anything you need with you!!   Don’t have to worry about times or appointments.      I had registered with Eurofins (the testing company) and they didn’t use that information at all.    

6 minutes ago, UKWildcatCruiser said:

I’m flying in two days early and happen to be staying at the hotel where the testing is done. Can we just show up for test then ride to the port with all our luggage?  I really don’t want to drop luggage off first then turn around and go back to the hotel. 

Maybe?   But the transfer costs $37.50 although they didn’t check anything to prove you paid for it. But if you had your luggage with you I think they would know.   Maybe call NCL.   Or just take a taxi etc to the port with your luggage after getting your results.