Driving around Southhampton before our cruise

JimChar

Have a trip with Island Princess in Oct 2022.

I have a wild idea in mind. 

Can I rent a car from Heathrow, visit nearby places, stay over for a few nights here and there, return the car at Southampton before our cruise.
We have about 4 to 7 days, depending on flights.

If you have done it, please share with me the rental agency used, route taken and places visited. We are 1st timer in that part of UK and drives on the same side of the road

🙂 Thank you 

Hi

You should find the major rental companies like Avis, Hertz, etc, will have "one way" rental available - allowing you to drop off at their Southampton office.

Lots to do and see in that general area. Think of the New Forest, Salisbury and Winchester to start with.

If I remember correctly, Hertz and Euopcar have an office at the port (just behind City Cruise terminal) and Enterprise is near the railway station (10 min walk to City Cruise terminal). I think most of the others are based at the airport, so you'd have to drop there, but its only a £25, 30 min cab ride to the cruise terminals. Try some dummy bookings to see where you get sent! I use www.rentalcars.com a fair bit, as they search through all the main companies, so you'll get ideas there.

Simon