COVID Testing in Vancouver

BMP57

Booked on a May cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver; wondering if anyone has experience with the COVID Testing Process at the Vancouver Airport prior to flying back into the United States.

Thanks!!!

• 4 weeks later...

We have the same concerns as we are supposed to sail in May from Whittier to Vancouver as well.  My biggest concern is what will the Canadian government require to allow entry into their country.  Things are constantly changing, but if I'm reading the current guidelines they require a negative test 72 hours prior to entry.  I realize this can change before May, and they probably will, it's just one more thing to have to deal with.  I'm wondering if anyone on this board did an Alaska cruise in 2021 that ended and disembarked in Canada and what the experience was like.

3 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

We have the same concerns as we are supposed to sail in May from Whittier to Vancouver as well.  My biggest concern is what will the Canadian government require to allow entry into their country.  Things are constantly changing, but if I'm reading the current guidelines they require a negative test 72 hours prior to entry.  I realize this can change before May, and they probably will, it's just one more thing to have to deal with.  I'm wondering if anyone on this board did an Alaska cruise in 2021 that ended and disembarked in Canada and what the experience was like.

No cruises disembarked in Canada in 2021, as our ports and internal waters were closed to cruise ships.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Before Canada changed their testing rules recently, we were going to need testing for NCL before we boarded.  NCL is partnered with Inspire Diagnostics to do the Proctored Online Home Test....we were going to do it from our hotel room. But now we are just going to use it at home before we fly out...it will still be in the time frame to use for NCL.  You may check with your cruise line...I know emed also offered something similar.  https://testfortravel.com/covid-19-testing-locations/?page=1&coordinates=49.26357%2C-123.13857&location=Vancouver BC%2C Canada&proximity=50&types_of_tests[]=1565&action=filter_locations

5 hours ago, mlmalone3 said:

Before Canada changed their testing rules recently, we were going to need testing for NCL before we boarded.  NCL is partnered with Inspire Diagnostics to do the Proctored Online Home Test....we were going to do it from our hotel room. But now we are just going to use it at home before we fly out...it will still be in the time frame to use for NCL.  You may check with your cruise line...I know emed also offered something similar.  https://testfortravel.com/covid-19-testing-locations/?page=1&coordinates=49.26357%2C-123.13857&location=Vancouver BC%2C Canada&proximity=50&types_of_tests[]=1565&action=filter_locations

Cruise lines are using 2 or 3 days for antigen test but Canada is still requiring a 1 day antigen test to board a cruise. No ideal why. 

2 hours ago, dave34 said:

Cruise lines are using 2 or 3 days for antigen test but Canada is still requiring a 1 day antigen test to board a cruise. No ideal why. 

Where is this info found for 1 day?

6 hours ago, dog said:

Where is this info found for 1 day?

Negative antigen test must be done within 1 day ofscheduled flight departure to Canada.

Negative antigen test must be done within 1 day of scheduled departure of cruise.

Negative molecular (aka PCR) test must be done within 72 hours of scheduled flight departure time to Canada.

Negative molecular (aka PCR) test must be done within 72 hours of passenger's scheduled boarding time.

Antigen: test Monday, fly & cruise Monday or Tuesday.

Molecular: test Monday noon, fly & cruise Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday before noon.

There is a lot of other informationat https://voyage.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/domestic-travel#board. But the cruise ship section is labelled.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dave34 said:

Negative antigen test must be done within 1 day ofscheduled flight departure to Canada.

Negative antigen test must be done within 1 day of scheduled departure of cruise.

Negative molecular (aka PCR) test must be done within 72 hours of scheduled flight departure time to Canada.

Negative molecular (aka PCR) test must be done within 72 hours of passenger's scheduled boarding time.

Molecular: test Monday noon, fly & cruise Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday before noon.

There is a lot of other informationat https://voyage.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/domestic-travel#board. But the cruise ship section is labelled.

UPDATED——

See https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#pre-entry-testing for details.

9 minutes ago, dave34 said:

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited.
  • During a voyage
    • Passengers are required to self-monitor for symptoms and report them to cruise line officials, who will then take appropriate action (testing, isolation, and contact tracing).
  • Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • Effective April 1, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers on cruise ships will no longer need to take a COVID-19 molecular test before disembarking in Canada. All on board, including crew and passengers, must continue to monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days after arrival in Canada as per the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order.

31 minutes ago, dave34 said:

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited.
  • During a voyage
    • Passengers are required to self-monitor for symptoms and report them to cruise line officials, who will then take appropriate action (testing, isolation, and contact tracing).
  • Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • Effective April 1, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers on cruise ships will no longer need to take a COVID-19 molecular test before disembarking in Canada. All on board, including crew and passengers, must continue to monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days after arrival in Canada as per the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order.

I like this part...since we are both fully vaccinated and flying into Canada from the US.  Norwegian has a chart on their Safe Sail part of the website that explains sailing out of a Non-US port test within 3 days. So we embark on Monday, we can test on Friday before leaving Texas.

Pre-entry testing (accepted types, timing)

Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests will no longer be required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. Until then, follow the pre-entry test requirements.

42 minutes ago, mlmalone3 said:

I like this part...since we are both fully vaccinated and flying into Canada from the US.  Norwegian has a chart on their Safe Sail part of the website that explains sailing out of a Non-US port test within 3 days. So we embark on Monday, we can test on Friday before leaving Texas.

Pre-entry testing (accepted types, timing)

Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests will no longer be required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. Until then, follow the pre-entry test requirements.

But Canada says to board ship with antigen test is one day and PCR test 72 hrs. I hope the cruise ship rules win on this . Pre-boarding a cruise ship

• Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within oneday of the scheduled departure.
  • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to entertheir trip information into the ArriveCAN website. 
  • Thanks 1

I'm hoping all of this is taken off their website April 1.

Travel to Canada: Requirements for vaccinated travellers

Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests will no longer be required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. Until then, follow the pre-entry test requirements.

I think we are all reading the "Until then, follow the pre-entry test requirements"...maybe the Pre-entry test requirement will disappear April 1 and things will be more clear. 

21 minutes ago, mlmalone3 said:

I'm hoping all of this is taken off their website April 1.

Travel to Canada: Requirements for vaccinated travellers

Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests will no longer be required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. Until then, follow the pre-entry test requirements.

I think we are all reading the "Until then, follow the pre-entry test requirements"...maybe the Pre-entry test requirement will disappear April 1 and things will be more clear. 

I think it’s clear. Starting April 1 no test is required to enter Canada in any form , but to board a ship and leave a one antigen test or PCR test within 72hrs. Also ArriveCAN has to be used to enter Canada. 

• 3 weeks later...

Flyer from Toronto (9:15am) to Vancouver (11:11am) - Friday August 26.

Staying at Pan Pacific - Friday August 26

Princess cruise from Vancouver - Saturday August 27 to Whittier - Saturday Sept 3

Canada / Princess requires 1 day rapid test.

Can I get a rapid test at Vancouver airport? Or near Pan Pacific?