Will HAL still dock in Venice, if not where?

terrydtx

Now that Venice has banned cruise ships from docking in Venice, where will HAL ships sail in and out of?

We are booked on the Oosterdam next August RT from Venice and so far, I best I can find out HAL still says they will sail from Venice. Other cruise lines are changing to Trieste and Ravenna and have announced their change. We are trying to plan for pre and post hotels and tours but would like to know where will need to be to board. With the ban in Venice there is no way Oosterdam will sail from there, but HAL has no alternatives announced.

18 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Now that Venice has banned cruise ships from docking in Venice, where will HAL ships sail in and out of?

We are booked on the Oosterdam next August RT from Venice and so far, I best I can find out HAL still says they will sail from Venice. Other cruise lines are changing to Trieste and Ravenna and have announced their change. We are trying to plan for pre and post hotels and tours but would like to know where will need to be to board. With the ban in Venice there is no way Oosterdam will sail from there, but HAL has no alternatives announced.

I think they are using Marghera as their port.

HAL doesn’t seem to like to incorporate the changes to itineraries forced by local decisions on cruise ship size or overall access.  Venice is an example as is our scheduled stop in Bora Bora next March.  If you call and ask, the rep act surprised and say HAL is still going to BB.  I don’t understand this ostrich like approach.  Let us know the changes so we can plan accordingly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I think they are using Marghera as their port.

I thought that too, but from what I have read the large cruise ships would still have go into the Venice lagoon to get there and that would not be allowed. 

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

We are on the first leg of your cruise in August to Civitavecchia. The same cruises for 2023 season show Trieste as the embarkation port. I would not surprised if Trieste was used for 2022.

I saw that but why not make the decision for 2022 now?  This is very frustrating and so typical of HAL.

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I thought that too, but from what I have read the large cruise ships would still have go into the Venice lagoon to get there and that would not be allowed. 

No, the channel into Marghera is from the south, and while it does go into the lagoon, it is used on a daily basis by ships much larger than the cruise ships, and does not impact the endangered areas of the lagoon, which are east of the island of Venice.  

• Like 1

My Oosterdam cruise is 28 September to 22 October with overnight in Venice on 21 October.  HAL is  promoting Venice excursions for the 21st for our sailing.  Nothing for Trieste.   I checked the What’s in Port for Trieste and there were no references for HAL ships docking there for 2022.  I’m thinking that it will be Marghera. You will still need to check in at the Venice terminal and be bused over to Marghera.  

18 minutes ago, ncgolferette said:

My Oosterdam cruise is 28 September to 22 October with overnight in Venice on 21 October.  HAL is  promoting Venice excursions for the 21st for our sailing.  Nothing for Trieste.   I checked the What’s in Port for Trieste and there were no references for HAL ships docking there for 2022.  I’m thinking that it will be Marghera. You will still need to check in at the Venice terminal and be bused over to Marghera.  

Thank you, that makes sense. 

I just checked cruisemapper for our Sept 28,2022 Oosterdam cruise. It shows Marghera as do some Volendam cruises. However 2023 cruises are showing Trieste again.

Hard to plan. Had made flights last week to Ljubljana for 5 days then an hour  drive to Trieste.  Looking at switching to Venice.

We are spending a few days in Florence before embarking. If Trieste is used, there is an Italo high speed train direct to Trieste in the late afternoon from Firenze SMN.. That would eliminate the frequent stops on the Venice Mestre to Trieste Centrale Regionale.  Otherwise, if it is still Venice there are frequent choices all day to Venice Santa Lucia.