The Daily for Friday December 03, 2021

richwmn

31 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

As we get closer to trying a different cruise line I am appreciating HAL more.  DH has been bugging me for a few years to try another line and I think he is beginning to regret that request.  Hopefully life onboard will improve our outlook.  Traveling with friends so that will be a plus.  

Do you care to share any details on the cruise?.

Roy

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

@kazu I am really happy that Jose's doctor found the cause of the problem and that it is treatable.  Here's to a speedy recovery.  

Not much on the agenda today except the pool and the grocery store.  Yesterday at the pool a man was in the lane I had reserved and refused to move.  I talked to him, the lifeguard talked to him, the pool manager came out to talk to him.  He ignored us all and would just swim away.   We explained that he had not reserved the lane and I had and his response was why should he suffer over a mistake.  The problem with the lanes is that I use mine to do therapy exercises for my back and I need the correct depth and to be able to touch the bottom.  The two lanes that were shallower were in use for a class and the other available lanes were too deep.  We all just shook our heads.   Then, last night I received an email from him saying that next week he would give me that lane even if I had another one reserved.  I suspect there is some process going on  here.  

Today's meal is one I've had in Strasbourg, France.  I've since made it here at home and it is pretty easy to do.  Strasbourg, while not a cruise port for ocean going vessels, is one for river cruises.  The story I heard in Strasbourg is that through the week the housewife would put the left over meat pieces into a marinade and then on Sunday night assemble the dish to go to the baker's on Monday.   While it was baking in a slow oven, the housewife was free to do the laundry.   The dish was ready to be picked up at the baker's in time for the mid day meal.  

Marinating the meat overnight or longer allows a tough piece of meat to be tenderized nicely.  You can make this dish with one type of meat, two types of meat, or three types of meat.  I do not use the pig's feet or the oxtail.  Some recipes say to put carrots in, some do not.  There is room for a lot of variation in the recipe.  You can make it with just the meat, potatoes, and onion.  Serve a nice crisp salad along with it and you have a complete meal.  I've made this dish for dinner parties and have always gotten rave reviews from guests.  

https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/hubert-kellers-alsatian-baeckeoffe/174164

baeckeoffe-photo-principale-de-la-recette.jpg.03f6313920e8537eb8a93391bfab0d49.jpg

Some recipes include a bit of bacon for flavor:  https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Bacheofe-Alsatian-Stew/

1447663943_Baeckeoffe2.jpg.6e666c37dbf411b58384e6dd4c9b7e5d.jpg

Here is one more version:

https://www.thespicehouse.com/blogs/recipes/baeckeoffe-recipe

Baeckeoffe_9e1679d4-0a61-468c-b895-aef5c6e9208b_720x.jpg.2bf42429eec174c1f9edb0bb78dab75c.jpg

Enjoy!

I never heard of it before but it sounds good!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Maddie is home safe! My neighbors just texted me!  When they woke up this morning, she was sleeping in her bed on their lanai. One of them snuck around the side and closed the lanai door, so she couldn’t escape. They said she just walked into the house as if nothing happened! 😎 Thanks to all of you for your words of hope & encouragement!

9F3C3069-08B6-459B-98E2-7484242539C6.jpeg.10ae2f9ad3caaee485ea0a0887e7ae19.jpeg

Yay that Maddie's home!!!   Typical kitty, acts just like nothing happened.  LOL   Thanks for the reminder about National Wine Day; I'd almost forgotten. 🤣

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Jacqui, So glad to hear that Jose's doctor was able to find something wrong that was treatable.  Hopefully he will be back to full health in a few weeks and you two will be able to plan your next cruise in the near future.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you both.

• Like 22

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I want to thank you all for your prayers and kindness.  ♥️  While I haven’t said much, DH has not been well and deteriorating rapidly.  My life for the last few weeks has been vey hard watching this happen & trying to help 😢 💔 

Thankfully, DH’s doctor knew the rapid decline was too swift so she went looking for zebras instead of horses when she heard the hoof beats.  She ordered a very rare test which revealed a problem which should be fixable. He is now on the regimen and with luck and God’s help, he’ll be his old self in a few weeks 🙏🏻 

So, today I am very grateful to you all for your prayers and to God for listening and answering.  

Spectacular news, Jacqui! Hugs to both of you! ❤️

• Like 19

Morning,

Many thanks for doing those daily’s. 
Can’t wait to be back on a cruise this month Rotterdam here we come. 

In the meantime here a pic I took from our place in Puerto Vallarta. 

Have a nice weekend.

Sea ya 

Eric 

725763CB-1124-43A8-BFD4-E7372CB6584F.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, dfish said:

Yesterday at the pool a man was in the lane I had reserved and refused to move.  I talked to him, the lifeguard talked to him, the pool manager came out to talk to him.  He ignored us all and would just swim away.   We explained that he had not reserved the lane and I had and his response was why should he suffer over a mistake.  We all just shook our heads.   

Then, last night I received an email from him saying that next week he would give me that lane even if I had another one reserved.  I suspect there is some process going on  here.  

You can make this dish with one type of meat, two types of meat, or three types of meat.  I do not use the pig's feet or the oxtail. 

How did the man get your email? I hope the gym didn’t just give it to him. And what a jerk for not moving out. I actually used a different word to describe him, but I didn’t want to shock anyone.

I am stunned that you aren’t going to include pigs feet and oxtail in your dish!😱

• Like 14
  • Haha 6

Good morning. @kazu,I am so happy that your doctor was able to find a treatable problem.Hopefully things will turn around soon.

I  started my PT career in the late 70's and worked for many years with young spinal cord patients before specializing in stroke rehab.So much of the world outside the hospital was inaccessible  then.It was daunting for patients wanting to return to a normal life as there were so many barriers.I do see changes on the streets but still view stairs without ramps in our older areas if town.DH and I ,in our younger years  helped lift many a wheelchair up and down stairs when we were on "real world" outings.

@dfish,the recipe sure looks good and will be tried soon.Thank you!

@cat shepard,so glad to hear the kitty returned safely.

Take care everyone 

Terry 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. 

Praise God Jose's doctor found a solution. I'll pray extra hard for you both. 

Roy, how are your treatments coming along? How are you feeling?

Prayers for all on Roy's care list. Lifting a glass today for celebrations. 

I appreciate those who respect our disabled. Many times I've struggled trying to open a restaurant door and a kind person shows up to help. Those double-double doors are tough getting in!

We have had baeckeoffe a dozen times in our travels. I love the dish that has wine, leeks, juniper berries, pork, lamb, and melt in your mouth beef. It comes in it's own tureen and has lots of juice. We stayed in Colmar, France, Avignon, the vineyards and all along the south of France, then traveled by train up to Paris for a week. I gained 11 pounds in 6 weeks.. 

I'll check in later. I have a breakfast to make for my sweetheart. 

Prayers, Cheers and Blessings 

• Like 23

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We have had baeckeoffe a dozen times in our travels. I love the dish that has wine, leeks, juniper berries, pork, lamb, and melt in your mouth beef. It comes in it's own tureen and has lots of juice. We stayed in Colmar, France, Avignon, the vineyards and all along the south of France, then traveled by train up to Paris for a week. I gained 11 pounds in 6 weeks.. 

I'll check in later. I have a breakfast to make for my sweetheart. 

Prayers, Cheers and Blessings 

Joy do you remember where you stayed in Avignon? I received info about a wine school there, and am toying with the idea for the future. 

Feel free to email me annge3 @ gmail.com. And obviously, there is no rush.

And on a totally different note, my 8 weeks in a cast/brace gave me a taste of the struggles of those suffering from physical disabilities. I was always thrilled to find bathrooms set up for those with handicaps.  I can only imagine life prior to the laws that forced communities and businesses to consider their needs. ❤️

• Like 23

1 hour ago, kazu said:

While I haven’t said much, DH has not been well and deteriorating rapidly.  My life for the last few weeks has been vey hard watching this happen & trying to help 😢 💔 

Thankfully, DH’s doctor knew the rapid decline was too swift so she went looking for zebras instead of horses when she heard the hoof beats.  She ordered a very rare test which revealed a problem which should be fixable. He is now on the regimen and with luck and God’s help, he’ll be his old self in a few weeks 🙏🏻 

Jacqui, we want to wish you and Jose the very best as the two of you through this difficult period. Hopefully, the new regimen will be successful and things will return to normal. You are very special people and have lots of freinds pulling for you.

Jim

• Like 20

Good morning everyone. I’m certainly happy to have a new roof over our heads and that our condo paid for it. I’ve worked with people who have learning disabilities and have some physical disabilities myself so happy to shout out for all of them. I’m not sure what to make of that quote.

Jacqui, so glad that Jose’s doctor is such a smart physician and praying he will be feeling better soon.

Tonight  I plan to go to our clubhouse for our nightly Menorah lighting during the 8 days of Hanukkah . Our grandsons got their presents at thanksgiving. There are two different ways of spelling Chanukah and I’m not sure why that is.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol 

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 22

19 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Joy do you remember where you stayed in Avignon? I received info about a wine school there, and am toying with the idea for the future. 

We stayed at Hotel du Musee in Arles and La Mirande in Avignon near the palace. I have a water painting from there. Lots of street artists and delicious restaurants. And wine..

1203210829a.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add photo
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

The CC gremlins seem to be settling down, at least some.  I haven’t posted any photos in a while, but decided to try today since today’s port of the day is a fascinating stop.  We were on the Amsterdam in 2019 when we stopped at Semarang Java Indonesia.  We took the ship’s excursion to Borobudur, the world’s largest Buddhist Temple.  The trip included a train ride through the countryside.

FC622726-A413-4DD6-9F5D-12455AC0755D.thumb.jpeg.9ab6da005f506b503b546889ac85ea32.jpeg

D9CFB2DD-F089-48DB-AEE5-B49B64AB3CD3.thumb.jpeg.6f861a8cb42e8c31809b4d1a0b1fb8c8.jpeg

D85D64B2-E061-429A-A61B-EA473570CBAD.thumb.jpeg.70a8d27cbd6ed6e8995465dfc464edb3.jpeg

DB399904-A91E-4725-821F-6E74D299DDAB.thumb.jpeg.e8472c66b894879b1639db39ae5be5e2.jpeg

B0AA49A8-1C57-4741-8226-BBAB04F0D2E0.thumb.jpeg.70f4071053790e544859be5c7a3b0033.jpeg

9B1B8FFD-AC1B-4DCD-A5FB-5C66FC6B07AD.thumb.jpeg.48603c52438ead2618738f861bacae07.jpeg

AA429B5C-32A1-4A42-823B-FCBBBD524151.thumb.jpeg.9fc7a6b0ccc837b69163add930597e7f.jpeg

55FBFB90-FE7C-41BC-9748-ABFFDCF31DAF.thumb.jpeg.b8f6982f3f1014c837889f00845f04e7.jpeg

0E96C08B-D8A9-4E9A-A162-D86C2A92FC18.thumb.jpeg.60762cf53a603eff3fcc8fd682fcc445.jpeg

B7D3F391-D23D-4210-BDEC-88CCE483A876.thumb.jpeg.33ad7b75c6e435d3b412ed1a74ea8e61.jpeg

6F04AEC7-C330-4429-992A-831A0372375D.thumb.jpeg.017347200ba9db49464bb938c00f7eac.jpeg

58A9B7D9-D999-4B8C-B44A-C567BACDBEDC.thumb.jpeg.a3387698b7cce8867686a195d220e793.jpeg

65F7613B-7F7C-4818-BB4A-9FBE4E1B9AED.thumb.jpeg.5c951d5f473e4ea75067ed06ec71c3fd.jpeg

CC09D133-B8FA-4337-B530-00FEA4A4D8F7.thumb.jpeg.5b3f55e071382c1474a202bc84574e70.jpeg

49D44959-A8EE-421E-9065-4614E3B7B6F5.thumb.jpeg.f4e22a7e239b3a0fd1b1a0496ab3fa72.jpeg

964D98A7-3632-4286-8D29-2084A75A8A8A.thumb.jpeg.b251d64f9b37d835611e750cc8b271f1.jpeg

A8890357-2BE4-4FBD-AD14-5C1DAC56F8DA.thumb.jpeg.d079d6f0d00c6d8bf2f9ac2c05723061.jpeg

F6C194B5-7D9A-4F64-B3CD-761429521757.thumb.jpeg.5fda84610acbf303048b1d443a1a7f24.jpeg

43F23607-ABD1-4C57-8C60-4D7B16AC64DF.thumb.jpeg.5169007e64f5950d31f597d9c8005aa3.jpeg

9D08CB20-5FBC-408D-91F1-06CA6685F8C9.thumb.jpeg.e7fe4e26a2a78693f4a423a61b72d5ab.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We stayed at Hotel du Musee in Arles and La Mirande in Avignon near the palace. I have a water painting from there. Lots of street artists and delicious restaurants. And wine..

1203210829a.jpg

Thank you, Joy! Beautiful artwork! 

• Like 10

Good Morning All,

Such good news: @kazu happy to hear Jose’s MD identified the cause of what’s been happening, and that it is “fixable”. I’ll continue to pray for full recovery. @cat shepard Good to hear your little “voyager” is home safely.

@dfish That guy has some nerve. No reservation, and he takes over yours?  I’m surprised they let him back in. 

Our project continues in the yard. We did final testing and payment yesterday, and contractor took his trailer. Last night we ended up with some type of mishap and 4” of standing water. So he’s coming back today…. Next week should start arbor construction with the next contractor. Slowly but surely…

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  As others, very happy we have a roof over our head.  Bartenders are a necessity on the BHB.  I try to help anyone who needs it disabled or not.

Interesting quote.  And I think we will pass on the meal.

@kazuI have tears in my eyes reading about Jose.  So blessed to have that doctor on your side.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Cape Cod:

The Cape Cod or Cape Codder is a type of cocktail consisting of vodka and cranberry juice. Some recipes also call for squeezing a lime wedge over the glass and dropping it into the drink. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Vodka
Ingredients: Cranberry juice (1 to 4 parts, to taste), Vodka (1 part)
Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedge.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime slice
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 10.35.47 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

As we get ready for our cruise today, I leave you with some photos i took this morning of the Port of Miami at sunrise and the Oceania Riviera in port waiting for me to board.

Hope you have an absolutely fabulous time, Terri !

2 hours ago, dfish said:

@kazu I am really happy that Jose's doctor found the cause of the problem and that it is treatable.  Here's to a speedy recovery.  

Thanks very much Debbie. We won’t know if this solves all the problems or not for a while but, hopefully it does 🙏🏻 

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Not much on the agenda today except the pool and the grocery store.  Yesterday at the pool a man was in the lane I had reserved and refused to move.  I talked to him, the lifeguard talked to him, the pool manager came out to talk to him.  He ignored us all and would just swim away.   We explained that he had not reserved the lane and I had and his response was why should he suffer over a mistake

That is just so rude.  Unbelievably rude.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Then, last night I received an email from him saying that next week he would give me that lane even if I had another one reserved.  I suspect there is some process going on  here.  

He darn well better.  I hope there is a process.  YOU had it reserved.

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Awesome news.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Prayers 🙏 for your DH Jacquie.

Thankfully his doctor has diagnosed what was wrong and hopefully his recovery will be quick.

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Good news. Don't post, but have been keeping you (and others) on my care list.

2 hours ago, kb4683 said:

@kazu, Jacqui,  thank you for the update on your DH.  You have been in my thoughts ever since you first mentioned his appointment.  Glad his doctor has a plan in place and hope he turns around real soon.  Hugs 🤗

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@kazu such great news; I'm glad your doctor went looked for the obscure rather than the obvious.  Hopefully Jose makes a complete recovery and you can breathe easily again.

2 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

Jacqui, I am so glad to hear this news, This is a very supportive community and I am glad I found it.

Hopefully Jose and you will be cruising again soon!

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

@kazu  I am so glad you have a good doctor and hopefully Jose will be feeling better soon. You both will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

1 hour ago, travelnap said:

Jacqui, So glad to hear that Jose's doctor was able to find something wrong that was treatable.  Hopefully he will be back to full health in a few weeks and you two will be able to plan your next cruise in the near future.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you both.

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Spectacular news, Jacqui! Hugs to both of you! ❤️

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Jacqui,

Hope things start looking rosy for you and Jose will be his old self again.

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. @kazu,I am so happy that your doctor was able to find a treatable problem.Hopefully things will turn around soon.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Praise God Jose's doctor found a solution. I'll pray extra hard for you both. 

1 hour ago, jimgev said:

Jacqui, we want to wish you and Jose the very best as the two of you through this difficult period. Hopefully, the new regimen will be successful and things will return to normal. You are very special people and have lots of freinds pulling for you.

Jim

Just now, TiogaCruiser said:

Such good news: @kazu happy to hear Jose’s MD identified the cause of what’s been happening, and that it is “fixable”. I’ll continue to pray for full recovery

Thank you so much everyone 👍 We really appreciate your caring, prayers and kindness ♥️ 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2