MSC Divina Thanksgiving cruise review

Geobugs

5/5 Embark/Debark - no lines, no delays, no hassles. 

5/5 Cabin - great size, layout, closet space, shower design, cabin steward actually cleaned room three times per day when requested.

5/5 Ship - Divina is beautiful, common areas are elegant, dining rooms spacious, multiple pools and hot tubs.  Elevators were quick.

5/5 Service - Crew were helpful, courteous, friendly, and well trained.

5/5 Cleanliness - Crew always cleaning, wiping, vacuuming, and very safe.

4/5 Ports - Ocean Cay was amazing, Montego Bay was changed to Falmouth but could not leave the port without an excursion, Aruba was beautiful, Columbia was great, Panama Canal crossing excursion was amazing, and  Costa Rica excursion was very nice.

Areas of concern: the quality of food and the quality of the entertainment.

The quality of the meat on the should should be increased by several fold.

All of the red meat was tough, low quality, dry, and inedible.

The food lacked flavor with the majority of dishes.

I had to salt, pepper, tobasco sauce, bbq sauce, most of the time.

However, the waiters were amazing and worked very hard to please passengers.

I can go into more detail with pictures and answers to any questions.

Cruise director Monica should be replaced.

She was arrogant and rarely present.

The remainder of the cruise entertainment staff were amazing. 

The theater shows were underwhelming.

Covid-19 protocols:  I found them to be the perfect balance of reminders and enforcement, but I think I have a very relaxed opinion.

They announced the covid-19 protocols on a frequent basis; ie wear masks, social distance, and wash hands.

Here is my biased experience.

IMHO wearing a mask while vaccinated is unnecessary.

The entire cruise I wore my mask over my mouth and under my nose, without crew or passengers complaining.

Crew members correctly wore masks, except for officers, which regularly wore it under their nose.

In restaurants, 99% of passengers went mask free.  I did see one passenger eat while masked, lifting it with every bite.

In bars/venues with bars, 80% of the passengers went mask free.  Even if no drink was ordered, passengers went without a mask.

In the theater, 50% of the passengers went mask free.  The front row never social distanced. 

On the pool deck, 80% of the passengers went mask free.

When I walked from the pool deck, wet from swimming, I went mask free, while walking back to the room, without incident.

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

I think part of the differences regarding the masks on the 2 ships is the location of the ships. One out of the U.S., and one in Europe.

I think the difference is who is on the ship in any given week. 
Our experience on Divina 11/14th was completely different from this review. Very rarely did I see people without their mask on on our sailing. 

I enjoyed your comments.  I loved the Divina when I sailed her in October.  I also found Monica lacking as a cruise director, and normally I couldn't care less about the CD.  But she was irritating on the rare times I had a sighting.  Other than that, I found every single staff member friendly, efficient and genuinely concerned about making us all happy.  That was refreshing!

I really enjoy their food, and find it to be adequately seasoned in most cases, but I am a New Englander 😉 On most ships (and restaurants) the heavy hand with the salt is disturbing.  I will say that I rarely eat red meat, and I understand that many people have expressed disappointment with the beef.  But I love so many of their dishes that I look forward to them from one cruise to the next.  I also appreciate that they have legit Italian meat & salami and wonderful cheeses on the buffet, which is very rare at sea!  I love to put together a nice antipasti for lunch.

I felt the Covid protocols were appropriate.  I am one of the careful ones in my day to day life, so I appreciate their care in getting it right.  I never went to the theater, so I have no idea what went on there.   I was comfortable enough to have booked the Meraviglia for tomorrow!

• Like 2

Re Monica. We had the same reaction to her. She would come out before the theater shows and talk for about 10-12 min and it all just seemed very disingenuous/forced. 
Other than that and her daily 8am announcements that we couldn’t decipher we never saw her or heard anything else from her. 

LOVED the activity crew on Divina. We really got to know them on our cruise because there were only 490 people on board and we participated in a lot of their activities. They all seem to love their job and get along with each other very well. They’re a fun group for sure.  

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here when it comes to Monica.

Lovey and I actually had no problem with her.

Cruise directors in general do nothing for us, so less is more.

Never did understand why so many people think the CD makes or breaks the cruise.

That being said, we absolutely adored the activity staff.

We Had a ball with them all at trivia, and they kept me up and moving during the White Party.

4 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

Never did understand why so many people think the CD makes or breaks the cruise.

We Had a ball with them all at trivia, and they kept me up and moving during the White Party.

Yep.  DEFINATLY in the minority.

""Ciao ciao for now!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

I'm w you MIke - years ago on all ships the CD & Officers were out & about....the corprate takeovers & legal depts stopped that.

I dont know why passengers on a 2000 + ship think that things havent changed.  These boards permit anyone to complain & yet they do not respect covid guidelines....

• 2 weeks later...

DW and I only had one issue with Monica - "Ciao ciao (with or without) for now!" just didn't sound natural. More like trying to be a catch phrase. We did have fun trying to place her accent. My guess is English is a second language, learned from an Aussie, but the rest of her dialect is a mystery.

Edited by WoodyWindy

9 hours ago, WoodyWindy said:

We did have fun trying to place her accent. My guess is English is a second language, learned from an Aussie, but the rest of her dialect is a mystery.

We were playing the guessing game too!

She mentioned during one show that she was Italian, and I'm sure she said from Rome.

We ran into her a few times and I didn't take notice to what her name-tag had on it.

If she did not mention Rome, I would have never taken her for Italian from her accent...

My guess would have been Brazilian.

On 12/4/2021 at 2:12 PM, Couple-Somerset said:

Yes, Cruise Directors on MSC are a waste of space. 

You never see them other than start/end of theatre. 

Id be happy with a recorded message to introduce shows lol

Also re food - never good in MDR or buffet which is why we will always book Yacht Club - but even in YC things like Lamb Rack and Filet Mignon are not the best. Thankfully the other food is. 

Food has always been a subject of concern on MSC. Some try to say it is because it is not Americanised. Of all the cruise lines we cruise we rate MSC food the lowest. 

8 hours ago, Oxo said:

Food has always been a subject of concern on MSC. Some try to say it is because it is not Americanised. Of all the cruise lines we cruise we rate MSC food the lowest. 

Painfully, I must agree.  Hubby is a chef; I run 3 restaurants.  The food on MSC *stinks* HOWEVER the overall price and experience makes up for it.    It's not because it is not to the American taste; it is precisely because the quality is poor as is the handling.  On my last cruise they literally cut the swordfish frozen through a mandolin and produced a 1/4 "filet" which was inedible. I totally get cutting corners, but then only offer things that you can produce well (IMHO)

Edited by Morgsmom
  • Thanks 1

When I do sail on MSC again, it will be on a ship that I can specialty dine every evening.  Butcher's cut was equivalent to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.  I would pay $250 for a nightly dining package on top of the $479 inside stateroom. 

55 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

When I do sail on MSC again, it will be on a ship that I can specialty dine every evening.  Butcher's cut was equivalent to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.  I would pay $250 for a nightly dining package on top of the $479 inside stateroom. 

I respond to let others see price comparisons between cruise lines.

Not to disagree with you, Food is very subjective. I would never compare any cruise line steak house to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. That would include MSC, NCL, CELEBRITY, RCI, HAL and Princess. Tried them all. Food quality,  preparation, service and presentation does not come close to RCS.

My Oasis OTS Central Park Balcony is $580. Unlimited Dining Pkg is $217 and that includes dining in the Specialty Restaurants each night and lunch in the Specialty dinning on Sea Days, too. You may pick anything off of the menu, not just from the Taste Experience portion like MSC. We are Diamond+ so we get 5 drinks.up to $13 each day.

Much more entertainment variety on RCI such as Ice Skating shows, water shows, major musical shows, etc.

What MSC ship does not provide Specialty Restaurants every evening? 

Stay Safe! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2021 at 1:20 AM, Geobugs said:

Panama Canal crossing excursion was amazing, and  Costa Rica excursion was very nice.

Hi...I'm booking Divina for this coming Oct. 12 day that goes to Colon, Panama. We're considering a ship excursion, specifically the one titled Panama Canal Cruise that involves a bus ride , a ferry and an actual trip through the locks.  Is this the one you took and if so can you tell me if you enjoyed it?  Looks like it's an 8 hour trip.  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, momrox1 said:

Hi...I'm booking Divina for this coming Oct. 12 day that goes to Colon, Panama. We're considering a ship excursion, specifically the one titled Panama Canal Cruise that involves a bus ride , a ferry and an actual trip through the locks.  Is this the one you took and if so can you tell me if you enjoyed it?  Looks like it's an 8 hour trip.  Thanks!

You should have started a new thread.  This one contains too much controversy.

Re-title it, too.

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising! 

5 minutes ago, momrox1 said:

Controversy  ??  I'm confused.  Wanted to specifically ask the OP their  thoughts on a particular excursion that msc offers.  

It is Not your posting that is the problem. You posted to an old posting with a totally different title. 

I was trying to help you. 

Sorry I confused you.

On 12/21/2021 at 8:57 PM, Oxo said:

Not to disagree with you, Food is very subjective. I would never compare any cruise line steak house to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. That would include MSC, NCL, CELEBRITY, RCI, HAL and Princess. Tried them all. Food quality,  preparation, service and presentation does not come close to RCS.

Tastes/preferences may be subjective, but quality of ingredients, preparation, and presentation are not.  At the least, MSC's presentation is horrible, and most people find the ingredient quality and preparation bad as well.  Cuts of meat are dry and fatty, vegetables are boiled/steamed, etc.  Those are technical errors, not subjective preferences.

Also, yikes about cruise lines being worse than RCS.  RCS does not even dry-age its steaks anymore, placing it on the lower end of steakhouse chains (not that those can even compare to high-end local steakhouses).