Masks in the Caribbean?

DeRon

We loved our cruise on MSC (yacht club).  But this was pre Covid. If everyone on the ship is vaccinated and tested, why do they require masks??  This is forcing us to look to different lines that do not require this.

Am I right?  They require masks on a Caribbean cruise?   Sounds so hot. Thoughts? 

7 minutes ago, DeRon said:

We loved our cruise on MSC (yacht club).  But this was pre Covid. If everyone on the ship is vaccinated and tested, why do they require masks??  This is forcing us to look to different lines that do not require this.

Am I right?  They require masks on a Caribbean cruise?   Sounds so hot. Thoughts? 

They probably require them because not everyone will be vaccinated if there are children on board who aren’t eligible for the vaccination. 
It wasn’t a huge deal for us on Divina a couple of weeks  ago. Out on deck we didn’t have to wear our mask, inside is air conditioned so it wasn’t too hot to wear it walking from place to place. Once seated mask can come off. 

Ports also require masks.

Bahamas , Nassau required masks entire time off ship when walking around town, with people outside shops confirming masks and use of hand sanitizer.

It was hot and humid. 
Two other ports also required masks. Curacao and Bonaire.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeRon said:

Yes, they are required by MSC for a Caribbean cruise.  Is it a big deal?  Nope.  It's the cruise rules, so if it is not something you are ok with then there are other lines without the mandate at this time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeRon said:

You should check the other lines. Personally, I won't step on a ship that doesn't have a mask mandate. Due to the breakthrough cases among the fully vax.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/corporate-christmas-party-turned-biggest-132307836.html

Hot? This is December, right???

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

DeRon- I could not agree with you more. I am about to be triple vaccinated and will not spend thousands of dollar's to wear a mask and god forbid  get a false positive. I'll wait until I don't have to jump through so may hoops to cruise. If that day never comes-so be it.

I'm ready for the attack from some- go ahead............

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeRon said:

So you only wear masks walking around?  Once seated, you take it off?  Is this true for the shows too?

What about in yacht club area around the pool?  Is this only an indoor requirement?

My experience on Meraviglia (October 2021) Caribbean cruise in Yacht Club:

• Stateroom/Balcony: No mask

• Walk to Restaurant and Lounge: Mask required

• Restaurant: No mask

• Top Sail Lounge: No mask

• Pool Deck/Area: No mask

• Walk inside the ship: Mask required

• Aurea Thermal Spa: No mask

• Theatre: Show for vaccinated guests: No mask

• Excursions: Mask required

• Embarking/Disembarking: Mask required

I live in Florida.. Yes, it’s hot and humid.

I wear mask 6-8 hours 5 days a week due to my profession.. Yes, it’s uncomfortable sometimes..

Wearing mask is one layer of protection (in addition to being vaccinated & social distancing) and for me it’s only a small inconvenience while on vacation. I think it’s not fair to blame cruise lines and airlines for enforcing laws of countries and providing a safe travel environment for passengers.

• Like 12

SirWolf got it right.

This was exactly our experience.
Wearing a mask during the cruise was not a big deal . 
We had magnet hooks by door and hung masks there. So, when leaving cabin, just grabbed masks and put on outside cabin. 
Entire time on YC Pool deck, no mask. 
Ports were much more difficult.

Have a good time and relax.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Debde said:

DeRon- I could not agree with you more. I am about to be triple vaccinated and will not spend thousands of dollar's to wear a mask and god forbid  get a false positive. I'll wait until I don't have to jump through so may hoops to cruise. If that day never comes-so be it.

I'm ready for the attack from some- go ahead............

Not an attack.  Just an observation.  I respect your values and decision not to sail if you have to wear a mask.  I'm triple vaccinated already, but I am more than willing to wear a mask given the current rules in place (and exceptions for eating and drinking).  I will follow social distance rules.  I do respect your choice.  I only hope that others on my upcoming cruises will follow the guidelines.  My fear is someone who thinks masks are oppressive and will disobey rules.  That goes beyond personal values and respecting choice. 

Hopefully, you'll be able to sail soon with no restriction.  I'm not sure how soon that will be, but I'm of the thinking that it will not be before the end of 2022.  Thanks

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SirWolf said:

My experience on Meraviglia (October 2021) Caribbean cruise in Yacht Club:

• Stateroom/Balcony: No mask

• Walk to Restaurant and Lounge: Mask required

• Restaurant: No mask

• Top Sail Lounge: No mask

• Pool Deck/Area: No mask

• Walk inside the ship: Mask required

• Aurea Thermal Spa: No mask

• Theatre: Show for vaccinated guests: No mask

• Excursions: Mask required

• Embarking/Disembarking: Mask required

I live in Florida.. Yes, it’s hot and humid.

I wear mask 6-8 hours 5 days a week due to my profession.. Yes, it’s uncomfortable sometimes..

Wearing mask is one layer of protection (in addition to being vaccinated & social distancing) and for me it’s only a small inconvenience while on vacation. I think it’s not fair to blame cruise lines and airlines for enforcing laws of countries and providing a safe travel environment for passengers.

This was our exact experience on Divina 11/14th 

To be honest when we booked DH wasn’t thrilled about the mask wearing rule (he works from home so he has never had to go to work and wear a mask for 8-12 hrs like some of us did) and we’re vaccinated plus booster 10/25/21) 

I talked him into going and even he said it wasn’t as bad as he thought it would be. In fact he said it didn’t bother him at all to put it on to walk to different areas of the ship because once seated it comes off.

Outside on deck not necessary to wear it. 

Just booked another cruise departing 1/8th on Seashore because we felt so comfortable with MSC’s Covid protocols and we want to take advantage of the low passenger count while we can because we all know once the mask policy drops the ships will be much fuller. 

• Like 3

It just seems if everyone is vaccinated, and tested, and the ship is amazing at cleaning protocols, that a mask wouldn’t be necessary.  And if you take it off when sitting down at a bar, eating, or in a show, or on the pool deck.  To me it seems like false a security.  

I not trying to pick a fight with anyone or debate the subject. I understand flying with a mask because you are in close proximity with people in a confined area.  If MSC really believe in masks, why allow people to take them off in some venues?  

I don’t know. It just seems inconsistent and overdo to me.

No need for anyone to tell me that if I don’t like the rule, I can sail with another cruise line or stay home.  I am clear on my options. Just thinking it through. 

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

This was our exact experience on Divina 11/14th 

To be honest when we booked DH wasn’t thrilled about the mask wearing rule (he works from home so he has never had to go to work and wear a mask for 8-12 hrs like some of us did) and we’re vaccinated plus booster 10/25/21) 

I talked him into going and even he said it wasn’t as bad as he thought it would be. In fact he said it didn’t bother him at all to put it on to walk to different areas of the ship because once seated it comes off.

Outside on deck not necessary to wear it. 

Just booked another cruise departing 1/8th on Seashore because we felt so comfortable with MSC’s Covid protocols and we want to take advantage of the low passenger count while we can because we all know once the mask policy drops the ships will be much fuller. 

Did they say how many people were on your cruise?  I wonder what % they are booking?

40 minutes ago, DeRon said:

Did they say how many people were on your cruise?  I wonder what % they are booking?

Yes the cruise director told us 490 which made it like a ghost town in some areas.

Many times we were the only people listening to a band or musician play in a lounge by 10-10:30 at night.

It was a bit too quiet but we realize that it was probably a once in a lifetime experience. 

43 minutes ago, DeRon said:

It just seems if everyone is vaccinated, and tested, and the ship is amazing at cleaning protocols, that a mask wouldn’t be necessary.  And if you take it off when sitting down at a bar, eating, or in a show, or on the pool deck.  To me it seems like false a security.  

I not trying to pick a fight with anyone or debate the subject. I understand flying with a mask because you are in close proximity with people in a confined area.  If MSC really believe in masks, why allow people to take them off in some venues?  

I don’t know. It just seems inconsistent and overdo to me.

No need for anyone to tell me that if I don’t like the rule, I can sail with another cruise line or stay home.  I am clear on my options. Just thinking it through. 

The reason they allow people to take masks off while seated is they have chairs/tables blocked off for social distancing.
So you’re not sitting right next to people in venues. 
Main dining room, every couple has their own table. You don’t sit with strangers at dinner at the moment. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DeRon said:

MSC practices social distancing in areas where passengers can take off their mask. Sitting at the bar.. sitting in Top Sail Lounge.. Tables in YC Restaurant.. Seats in theatre..

Even in these inside areas passengers still have two layers of protection.. Vaccination and Social Distancing.

( photo shows blocked off seats in Top Sail Lounge on Meraviglia in October 2021 )

86BC6DAD-F6EA-4C17-9353-8EC8EFA93671.jpeg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DeRon said:

Everyone has been very helpful!  Thank you for your responses.  We are now considering going, even with the mask mandate 😂😂

I promise you it isn’t that bad at all.  We wouldn’t have booked another cruise so soon if it was. 

• Like 1

I booked MSC specifically because they have the strictest mas mandate

Meanwhile, Norwegian has zero mask requirements and today they are trying to manage an outbreak on one of their ships.

I also visited Mexico last Spring which had a strict outdoor mask mandate. Its not a big deal. Managed to climb the pyramids just fine with a mask on.

Edited by jamesboat
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jamesboat said:

Meanwhile, Norwegian has zero mask requirements and today they are trying to manage an outbreak on one of their ships.

I also visited Mexico last Spring which had a strict outdoor mask mandate. Its not a big deal. Managed to climb the pyramids just fine with a mask on.

I felt very comfortable on our MSC cruise last month. 
Just checked and unfortunately Mira is in yellow status. Hopefully not for long 

D3F14478-484A-4E25-9137-3750AA26C499.png

Thank you JAGR.

Just to clarify-I respect mask rules and wear one when I have to. I am about to be tripled vaccinated so follow all rules that keep myself and others around me safe.

Spending thousands of dollars, having to go get tested, risk being tested positive and don't know it is my fear with no symptoms. Standing at the port watching my ship sail away is the thought  nightmares are made of.

Vacation is to remove stress for me, not add to it. Again, all my feelings and not trying to rally the troops here.

I have no problem waiting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jamesboat said:

NCL Breakaway, if that is the ship you mean, had ten positives from what I read yesterday.  Four pages here on CC about it with lots of typical CC speculation.  Finally someone from ship reported they never heard about it other than NCL maybe not telling everyone why they were now all being tested getting back to NOLA early.

• Like 1