Complimentary steak option in MDR nightly?

DrSea

13 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Never sailed with MSC but interested. However, I hear their food is not quite what most Americans are used to, which causes me trepidation.

Is there a complimentary steak option nightly in the MDR?

In the regular MDR no (don't know about YC) but you can pay an upcharge for one.  We are from the US and love MSC's food in the MDR.

Here is a good link to the menus on the Seashore last week

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1arhfro-ap_ZzzqpwWFQ3SJ69bVgjK2l5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

In the regular MDR no (don't know about YC) but you can pay an upcharge for one.  We are from the US and love MSC's food in the MDR.

In YC on left side always available they had a tenderloin.  IMO pretty good.

• Like 1

On Divina 11/14th the MDR had the up charge choices which included the NY Strip, shrimp cocktail and surf and turf but our waiter never charged us for them.
 (which earned him a nice extra tip on the last night) 

Edited by styles27
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Looks like our menu on Divina a few weeks ago.  I uploaded some in my review thread on here. 
Maybe they’re using the same menu fleetwide in FL

Well at least on Seashore next month we’ll know what to order  lol

• Like 1

Just now, styles27 said:

Looks like our menu on Divina a few weeks ago.  I uploaded some in my review thread on here. 
Maybe they’re using the same menu fleetwide in FL

Well at least on Seashore next month we’ll know what to order  lol

Got that off of someone else that posted them to Youtube.  I actually think they look great.  Having a hard time with some of the nights, too many things that I love and gonna have a hard time choosing!😂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Got that off of someone else that posted them to Youtube.  I actually think they look great.  Having a hard time with some of the nights, too many things that I love and gonna have a hard time choosing!😂

We enjoyed almost everything we tried. The duck one night was tough but the waiter warned us not to order it and he brought us two other entrees to be sure we ate enough…as if that was ever a problem lol 

He was awesome! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

That’s where I saw the MDR menu with the upcharge items listed for the first time.

Feels like MSC is joining the ‘nickel and dime’ set.  I know you said that you weren’t charged, but that’s only because  either the waiter hasn’t adjusted to the new policy, yet, or his superiors onboard are letting it slide for the time being.   The crew - even the higher-ups - don’t always agree with the onboard policies that HQ try to implement.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, styles27 said:

On Divina 11/14th the MDR had the up charge choices which included the NY Strip, shrimp cocktail and surf and turf but our waiter never charged us for them.
 (which earned him a nice extra tip on the last night) 

I cannot relate to how a waiter could pull off an uncharged entree and not get busted. A shrimp cocktail would be easy. Those are likely ready-to-go in the salad station's reach-in, similar to the salads grabbed and dressed by a waiter or the assistant.

Since meat cuts are cooked en masse and then finished to particular grill temps as needed, I suppose a waiter could just call for a steak in all the chaos.

Perhaps cruise kitchens for large venues are just not secure enough to avoid "leakage" of upcharged product, which causes one to wonder how any steaks get billed at all.  

Edited by no1talks
Clarification.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, publicpersona said:

There used to be, but now there’s is an up charge for a steak alternative (I think it is New York strip). However, on a recent formal night they were not charging for it.

Used to be when? I only know from MSC the good old "one week, one steak (on gala night)" rule. Sometimes two gala nights, two steaks. 

Yes, many nights there is the surcharge option for steak in the MDR, I have the feeling that this is available more often than before.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Used to be when? I only know from MSC the good old "one week, one steak (on gala night)" rule. Sometimes two gala nights, two steaks. 

NY strip used to be on the Always Available (Classic Favourites) area of the menu on US cruises, P.  On European cruises, it used to be beef paillard, which was only suitable for soling shoes!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

NY strip used to be on the Always Available (Classic Favourites) area of the menu on US cruises, P.  On European cruises, it used to be beef paillard, which was only suitable for soling shoes!   

Ah, OK, thanks, I never cruised from the US, only time in the Carib from Havana where it was totally the "European" program with (for obvious reasons) zero US guests and zero US influence (whatever this means). 

While I remember the shoe soles very well for years with MSC (in Italy also very popular on land, not just on MSC :D), I have to say that on my last two cruises with MSC the Gala night steak was a real and rather thick steak. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Beamafar said:

That’s where I saw the MDR menu with the upcharge items listed for the first time.

Feels like MSC is joining the ‘nickel and dime’ set.  I know you said that you weren’t charged, but that’s only because  either the waiter hasn’t adjusted to the new policy, yet, or his superiors onboard are letting it slide for the time being.   The crew - even the higher-ups - don’t always agree with the onboard policies that HQ try to implement.  

They did bring in someone from NCL a couple years back in a VP role so that may be where nickels and dimes come into play.  For your convenience, of course.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

YC last week - filet mignon on always available. 

Need to order two as tiny and not very good either. 

MSC really struggle with red meat, even in YC

Out of the UK?  If so, we just did 11 nights out of US and steak was great all nights I had except one night overcooked.  Maybe provider related.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, no1talks said:

I cannot relate to how a waiter could pull off an uncharged entree and not get busted. A shrimp cocktail would be easy. Those are likely ready-to-go in the salad station's reach-in, similar to the salads grabbed and dressed by a waiter or the assistant.

Since meat cuts are cooked en masse and then finished to particular grill temps as needed, I suppose a waiter could just call for a steak in all the chaos.

Perhaps cruise kitchens for large venues are just not secure enough to avoid "leakage" of upcharged product, which causes one to wonder how any steaks get billed at all.  

Have you ever been in the kitchen (galley) on a cruise ship?  We did a behind the scenes tour once it is NOTHING like a restaurant kitchen. They also do not have to enter their orders on a computer. 
Pretty much everything is plated and they go in and take whatever they need. (That’s the short version lol)

• Like 2