Dun Laoghaire - Irish Rail

paul28

• 1 month later...

We are on a cruise this summer scheduled for the Dun Laoghaire port.   I assumed that a shuttle would be provided info Dublin.   Is that the case?   If so, would it be included or an extra charge?

I enjoy trains, but assumed if the shuttle was included, I might as well take the transportation provided from the pier.

Do people find the train a better option?

Thanks!

Brad

On 1/13/2022 at 9:12 PM, nini said:

Is there a huge demand for the train, due to the ship docking? Is it an easy walk from the ship to the train? Can tickets be purchased before boarding? Thanks!

The Dart train is a commuter train so it was very crowded at peak transit times.  7.30am to 9.00 am and trains are very crowded between Dun Laoghaire and Dublin.  Similarly between 4pm and 6pm they are crowded on the Dublin to Dun Laoghaire direction.  Trains run every 10 minutes and journey takes 30 minutes.  

Buy your tickets at machine at entrance to station.  Day return is currently €6.25  There is no facility to pre purchase single journey/day tickets online.

The Dart is much nicer than the bus, as Dart goes along the coast for a good distance before hitting central Dublin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ihopfar said:

We are on a cruise this summer scheduled for the Dun Laoghaire port.   I assumed that a shuttle would be provided info Dublin.   Is that the case?   If so, would it be included or an extra charge?

I enjoy trains, but assumed if the shuttle was included, I might as well take the transportation provided from the pier.

Thanks!

Brad

You would need to ask your cruise line if they will provide a shuttle.  Dun Laoghaire port does not provide shuttles.  Also ask them about charges.

The current day return price for Dart from Dun Laoghaire to Dublin is €6.25 for a day return.  Trains are scheduled every 10 minutes and take 30 minutes to get to central Dublin.

Remember that the trains will be very crowded during peak commuter times.

3 hours ago, ihopfar said:

Thanks!

Brad

Our ship has a "shore excursion" which we can book. It is transportation into Dublin and then return transportation from Dublin. You basically do your own thing in Dublin and I think the charge is about $69.00 per person. This seems really steep compared to local transport, but hassle free. We know what we want to do in Dublin, so we are considering this. I do not know your cruise line, but it does not look like Princess is providing shuttles at this time.