Help with excursions in Hilo, , Kahului, Honolulu, and Kauai.

Ellaleah

We booked this cruise a couple of weeks ago and have no excursions booked.  I prefer to do excursions that are not through the cruise line.  Are there any “must see”. Places that you might suggest from your past experience.   I am 73 and my sister is 80, but we can move.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

janice

As you know, you will be docking in Kahului (Maui).  Kahului is a commercial/industrial area with no tourist activities, so your options are pretty much taking a cruise line excursion or renting a car. If you choose to rent a car, Maui is an easy island to drive, but be aware that the closest resort area is half an hour away (Kihei and Wailea) and Lahaina is about an hour away. We do not suggest the Road to Hana or driving up Haleakala.  Save those for when you hopefully return for a land vacation and have more time.  Whale watching should be in full swing by the time of your arrival, and is a possible option.  Boats go from both Ma'alaea (about twenty-five minutes away) and Lahaina.  There are many, many things to do and see on Maui.  Make a list of your interests...

• Like 1

Use the Hawaiʻi Volcanos National Park web site to see if lava is visible at the summit crater of Kilauea (Hale Ma'uma'u) or if it is flowing into the ocean (it's not at this time). Visiting Kilauea from Hilo is very easy, and there are many tours offered by both the cruise ships and by non-ship operators.

From Hilo, it's also great and easy to see the Tropical Botanical Garden, Akaka Falls, and Rainbow Falls. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, carbon said:

Do you recommend renting a car on the islands?

If you don't intend to go on excursions, then a car is essential on any island, but Oahu. Oahu has plenty of cabs, Uber and a good bus system.

If you stop at Lahaina, you can fill half a day walking around Lahaina, but most other stops a car is a necessity.

21 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you don't intend to go on excursions, then a car is essential on any island, but Oahu. Oahu has plenty of cabs, Uber and a good bus system.

If you stop at Lahaina, you can fill half a day walking around Lahaina, but most other stops a car is a necessity.

We were just hoping to get off the ship in Lahaina and walk around the city and uber to Kaanapali. Ship dropped Lahaina and we are now docking in Kahului. What is there to do in the area with or without a car?

5 hours ago, carbon said:

We were just hoping to get off the ship in Lahaina and walk around the city and uber to Kaanapali. Ship dropped Lahaina and we are now docking in Kahului. What is there to do in the area with or without a car?

Not too much in terms of normal tourist sights. I'd be content to go to the Queen Ka'ahumanu Shopping Center for a few hours, but then I've seen and done everything on Maui a visitor or local can do.

I'd also be content Ubering to one of my favorite local restaurants like Sam Sato's (best noodles on Maui) or Tasty Crust (possibly the best diner on Maui).

An Uber to the Four Seasons Wailea for lunch wouldn't be unreasonable and even closer is the quaint, Pa'ia area.

There is a small botanical garden in Kahului, the wonderful Nisei Veterans Memorial Center. "Nisei" means "second generation" Japanese and the museum has lots on the 442nd "Go For Broke" Regimental Combat Team from WWII. They are the most decorated combat unit in U.S. military history.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I'd be content to go to the Queen Ka'ahumanu Shopping Center for a few hours, but then I've seen and done everything on Maui a visitor or local can do.

I'd also be content Ubering to one of my favorite local restaurants like Sam Sato's (best noodles on Maui) or Tasty Crust (possibly the best diner on Maui).

While Queen Ka'ahumanu Center (that place has been a ghost town since Sears closed), Sam Sato's and Tasty Crust may make you content, we doubt those places are going to satisfy guests who have traveled thousands of miles to get here and booked their cruise while thinking at the time they would tender at Lahaina.  If you have "seen and done everything on Maui a visitor or local can do", then you must know places more appropriate than you mention.

8 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

If you have "seen and done everything on Maui a visitor or local can do", then you must know places more appropriate than you mention.

Not without a car.

With a car a person has many options, but far fewer without one.

I've never used the Maui Bus to get from Kahului to Wailea or Lahaina. It is a minimum of 1 hour from the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center (which is kind of the transit hub) to Lahaina & Wailea.

I have used the bus from Napili and Ka'anapali to Lahaina quite a few times and it is okay. It beats trying to park in Lahaina at peak times.

The Kihei Island and Lahaina Islander only run once an hour, so you would not want to cut things close getting back to Kahului on the bus. The Haiku (Pa'ia Town), and Upcountry buses run even less often, so you'd really be in trouble missing the bus you planned on back to Kahului