Clever Stupidity Needed

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-couple-vaccinated-border-order-1.6281050

Our first post cancellations isn't until mid May, so I'm not sure why I keep reading such stories, especially given the rules are bound to have changed many times by then.

This is an example of how the 'best laid plans' can fail without a creative solution.

Ruth

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DHLuCruise said:

We will fill in the app but we are printing EVERYTHING WE CAN just to avoid this level of 'stupid'.

The CBC article notes that the couple crossing back into Canada had printed documents but that "the officer refused to look at their printed documents".  That's concerning. 

ArriveCAN sends an email receipt to people who have successfully filled out the ArriveCAN application online, so I have to wonder why the couple didn't just show CBSA their emails.  Was there was a glitch in the system and emails weren't sent in this instance?    

It's the email (which contains a QR code) that I've relied on three times already while checking in for a flight back to Canada.  Maybe the land borders are different in their requirements...

Edited by lots-of-km2

15 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

The CBC article notes that the couple crossing back into Canada had printed documents but that "the officer refused to look at their 

It's the email (which contains a QR code) that I've relied on three times already while checking in for a flight back to Canada.  Maybe the land borders are different in their requirements...

From a document perspective they aren't supposed to be

2 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

The CBC article notes that the couple crossing back into Canada had printed documents but that "the officer refused to look at their printed documents".   SMH.

ArriveCAN sends an email receipt to people who have successfully filled out the ArriveCAN application online, so I have to wonder why the couple didn't just show CBSA their emails.  Was there was a glitch in the system and emails weren't sent in this instance?    

It's the email (which contains a QR code) that I've relied on three times already.  I've never logged onto the app at border control. 

While I've no doubt that there are problems that need to be resolved, and that some CBSA officers lack flexibility in applying the rules, this case has me wondering. The article states that "the ArriveCAN app with their proof of vaccination wouldn't load on Eric's phone". Wouldn't load? Had he not downloaded the app before arriving at the POE? Had he not submitted his information and received the email with his QR code? Or was his email also unable to load? It all sounds a bit far fetched, which may well be why the CBSA officer followed protocol.

• Like 4

I agree, some info is missing in this story... flashing the QR code in the email receipt from ArriveCAN should have sufficed.

But who am I to judge? I couldn't successfully connect with Switch Health to take a RT-LAMP test while many other people have had an easy go of it. 

Maybe there are glitches. 

Edited by lots-of-km2

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

While I've no doubt that there are problems that need to be resolved, and that some CBSA officers lack flexibility in applying the rules, this case has me wondering. The article states that "the ArriveCAN app with their proof of vaccination wouldn't load on Eric's phone". Wouldn't load? Had he not downloaded the app before arriving at the POE? Had he not submitted his information and received the email with his QR code? Or was his email also unable to load? It all sounds a bit far fetched, which may well be why the CBSA officer followed protocol.

I'm leaning in this direction, especially since there is a browser interface to ArriveCan available. Perhaps the couple had disabled roaming data so the app nor browser were able to work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broberts said:

I'm leaning in this direction, especially since there is a browser interface to ArriveCan available. Perhaps the couple had disabled roaming data so the app nor browser were able to work.

I did find out today that the online website ArriveCan is not linked up to the app.

I put in info to go to the states today online but then cancelled cause of weather.

It wasn't showing up on my app so I didn't think anything of it.

I kept getting emails saying I hadn't complete my travel plans.

When I logged into the website it still showed the trip I had inputted.

• Thanks 2