Question for Recent RCI Cruisers out of Miami

shelpt

Good Morning,

We are leaving from Miami on Jan 9th.  We live 3.5 hours from the port, and haven't decided whether to drive in the morning or head over the night before.  Don't really want to shell out the money for a hotel if I don't have to. Our check in time is 11:30 (I like being on the ship early!)

My question is about timing.  Once we arrive at the parking garage, how long does it take to get to the check in area? I'm trying to figure out the latest we could leave and still make it on time. Any words of wisdom are appreciated!

Thank you!

I lived in Central Florida for 4 years, and never drove to Miami the same day. Too many things can happen on the way down, and I didn't want to get on the ship tired after a 4 hour drive. We always stayed at a hotel for one night, either near the airport, which is cheaper than near the port, or Fort Lauderdale, with only a half hour drive to the port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shelpt said:

Once we arrive at the parking garage, how long does it take to get to the check in area? 

There might be a slight difference between Terminal A and G, but it’s a couple of minutes walk. Leave home at 6:30. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shelpt said:

Good Morning,

We are leaving from Miami on Jan 9th.  We live 3.5 hours from the port, and haven't decided whether to drive in the morning or head over the night before.  Don't really want to shell out the money for a hotel if I don't have to. Our check in time is 11:30 (I like being on the ship early!)

My question is about timing.  Once we arrive at the parking garage, how long does it take to get to the check in area? I'm trying to figure out the latest we could leave and still make it on time. Any words of wisdom are appreciated!

Thank you!

The parking garage for Terminal A has an elevator that takes you to the sidewalk in front of the terminal. You can head to the right to drop off your bags with a porter, and then head left to the terminal check-in lines. Only takes a few minutes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mac66 said:

Never understood the need to be there first thing and wait in line when you can just walk on a little later in the afternoon. I mean the boat doesn't leave until evening, what's your hurry?

I always went early and was on the ship before noon.  Never really had to wait long either. Now with the new process, you pick your time and I picked 11:30. Hopefully have my frozen drink in hand by 12!

• Like 3

I just boarded the Symphony yesterday, Dec 11. I drove from Kissimmee that morning. Took the turnpike until I got to 95. Drove through the tunnel to the terminal. Was doing great with the really good signs for getting to Terminal A, until one sign was a bit off and I ended up in a loop. Got back on track within 3 minutes. Parked at 10:45, right by the elevator.  Took my time messing around in the car with my luggage and such. Took the elevator from P3 to the bottom floor. The parking garage is attached. That's so much better and easier than the other garages. From the elevator,  I turned right to walk 50 feet to drop off my bags with a porter. Paid a little cash to him. Turned back left, walked 100 feet, and entered the Disney line that had 4 people in it to enter the glass doors of the terminal. I was in the line for people without children. Showed my proof of negative COVID test. Then went up escalators. Showed my check in stuff in a line of 2 people. Then went through the zig zag up to the actual scanning of my card. Walked on the ship. Took maybe 12-13 minutes around 11:10 or 11:15 am. I did not expect this at all from all the horror stories people post on here, lol. I'm not sure what people later than 11:30 experienced. But, it was easy peasy for me. Now, the 15 minutes on 95 to get to the terminal wasnt fun. Smh. Miami drivers. LoL. Turnpike was a breeze. No traffic. Nice speed all the way to 95.

Do what you feel most comfortable with. I drove from home to Kissimmee on Friday. That made me comfortable. Yes, I agree with the poster earlier. Leave home around 6:00-6:30am to allow time for traffic or getting lost in a loop at the terminal. A terminal has great signs up until that one last right turn. Happy Sailing. Please know that my experience is just my experience. We all have our own so I cant guarantee it will be easy peasy for the next person. 

10 hours ago, shelpt said:

Good Morning,

Thank you!

The elevator from the parking drops you at the door of the terminal. So, as fas you can walk from the parking stall to the elevator is the time it takes. 
9B2A42B6-38BF-428A-9074-7606894FD03C.jpeg.1ce8f887fe27c1ddbbdba5fab6fee7f9.jpeg1290AC2C-23ED-414A-B266-FE2CCAA462DC.jpeg.3ef08d065bc2765f77b253704893bbdd.jpeg

2 hours ago, blueslily said:

I just boarded the Symphony yesterday, Dec 11. I drove from Kissimmee that morning. Took the turnpike until I got to 95. Drove through the tunnel to the terminal. Was doing great with the really good signs for getting to Terminal A, until one sign was a bit off and I ended up in a loop. Got back on track within 3 minutes. Parked at 10:45, right by the elevator.  Took my time messing around in the car with my luggage and such. Took the elevator from P3 to the bottom floor. The parking garage is attached. That's so much better and easier than the other garages. From the elevator,  I turned right to walk 50 feet to drop off my bags with a porter. Paid a little cash to him. Turned back left, walked 100 feet, and entered the Disney line that had 4 people in it to enter the glass doors of the terminal. I was in the line for people without children. Showed my proof of negative COVID test. Then went up escalators. Showed my check in stuff in a line of 2 people. Then went through the zig zag up to the actual scanning of my card. Walked on the ship. Took maybe 12-13 minutes around 11:10 or 11:15 am. I did not expect this at all from all the horror stories people post on here, lol. I'm not sure what people later than 11:30 experienced. But, it was easy peasy for me. Now, the 15 minutes on 95 to get to the terminal wasnt fun. Smh. Miami drivers. LoL. Turnpike was a breeze. No traffic. Nice speed all the way to 95.

Do what you feel most comfortable with. I drove from home to Kissimmee on Friday. That made me comfortable. Yes, I agree with the poster earlier. Leave home around 6:00-6:30am to allow time for traffic or getting lost in a loop at the terminal. A terminal has great signs up until that one last right turn. Happy Sailing. Please know that my experience is just my experience. We all have our own so I cant guarantee it will be easy peasy for the next person. 

Thank you for details! We will be going 75 south, then head east.  I drove it to Naples last week and there was no traffic at all.  I think 95 is much worse than anything here on the west coast.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The elevator from the parking drops you at the door of the terminal. So, as fas you can walk from the parking stall to the elevator is the time it takes. 
9B2A42B6-38BF-428A-9074-7606894FD03C.jpeg.1ce8f887fe27c1ddbbdba5fab6fee7f9.jpeg1290AC2C-23ED-414A-B266-FE2CCAA462DC.jpeg.3ef08d065bc2765f77b253704893bbdd.jpeg

wow thanks for the pics! Looks like it will be pretty quick!

14 hours ago, shelpt said:

Good Morning,

Thank you!

One flat tire or a fatal car accident which shuts the interstate down and kiss your cruise goodbye. We are about 4 hour drive from Miami and always overnight in a hotel. 

1 hour ago, shelpt said:

Thank you for details! We will be going 75 south, then head east.  I drove it to Naples last week and there was no traffic at all.  I think 95 is much worse than anything here on the west coast.

Oh, I've lived on the west coast. 95 was not worse than the West Coast on Saturday morning. It wasnt congested. Just some folks weaving. I lost my city driving nerve when I left California, lol. Used to live in the DC/VA/MD area also so I've seen traffic for sure. It was just the weavers really. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Blauelini said:

One flat tire or a fatal car accident which shuts the interstate down and kiss your cruise goodbye. We are about 4 hour drive from Miami and always overnight in a hotel. 

It happens rarely but at times due to a fatal accident the turnpike from Orlando to Miami can be shut down for hours.  The most I experienced was a 4 hour shut down -- A flat tire could take longer I guess if you don't have a spare. 

But if boarding time is at 12:30 and the ship doesn't leave until evening then I think there should be enough time -- accidents and flats withstanding. 

• Like 1

We were on the Oasis sailing of Nov. 28.  This was our first time in the new parking garage A.  We came through the tunnel, and the signage wasn't that good, so be aware that you need to go up a ramp to get into the parking garage.  We had always entered off the street, so this is different.  After we figured that out, it was very easy to find a parking spot and take the elevator right down to the terminal entrance.  Our boarding time was 12:30 PM, so we got in a line that said 12 and 12:30 PM.  We were on the ship in less than 30 minutes, very smooth boarding process.  Have a great cruise!

We live in the Tampa area and have cruised out of Port Miami around 25 times. It takes us roughly 3 hours 45 minutes to get to the port with normal traffic. We always drive down the morning of the cruise and have never had an issue getting to the port. 

For what it’s worth, we drive the same day when cruising out of Port Everglades and Port Canaveral and have never had an issue getting to these ports either. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blauelini said:

Well that is a concern considering there is no where to get off 75 once we start heading east. Thanks!

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We live in the Tampa area and have cruised out of Port Miami around 25 times. It takes us roughly 3 hours 45 minutes to get to the port with normal traffic. We always drive down the morning of the cruise and have never had an issue getting to the port. 

For what it’s worth, we drive the same day when cruising out of Port Everglades and Port Canaveral and have never had an issue getting to these ports either. 

Thank you! Are you from Philly? We moved from the northern suburbs.

7 hours ago, relaxatsea said:

We were on the Oasis sailing of Nov. 28.  This was our first time in the new parking garage A.  We came through the tunnel, and the signage wasn't that good, so be aware that you need to go up a ramp to get into the parking garage.  We had always entered off the street, so this is different.  After we figured that out, it was very easy to find a parking spot and take the elevator right down to the terminal entrance.  Our boarding time was 12:30 PM, so we got in a line that said 12 and 12:30 PM.  We were on the ship in less than 30 minutes, very smooth boarding process.  Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the tip! I will make sure to watch for the signs.

15 hours ago, blueslily said:

Do what you feel most comfortable with. I drove from home to Kissimmee on Friday. That made me comfortable. Yes, I agree with the poster earlier. Leave home around 6:00-6:30am to allow time for traffic or getting lost in a loop at the terminal. A terminal has great signs up until that one last right turn. Happy Sailing. Please know that my experience is just my experience. We all have our own so I cant guarantee it will be easy peasy for the next 

We got to the terminal at 11:00 for check in at 11:30. Forgot our luggage tags. Left a tip. Sis took a minute to set up her account to get covid results. Went inside terminal through the check in line and security. Set down to wait for boarding. Was on the boat before noon. 

I just got off the Freedom of the Seas today and the drive down from WPB to Miami on Friday took

me over three hours for a 50 mile drive.   The traffic in Miami is horrible and I was driving down

at 10:30 in the morning.   If there is an accident or any trouble at all it is a mess.  I swear I will

never leave out of Miami again unless I am down there the night before.  It's not worth the stress.

1 hour ago, Stardancer68 said:

I just got off the Freedom of the Seas today and the drive down from WPB to Miami on Friday took

me over three hours for a 50 mile drive.   The traffic in Miami is horrible and I was driving down

at 10:30 in the morning.   If there is an accident or any trouble at all it is a mess.  I swear I will

never leave out of Miami again unless I am down there the night before.  It's not worth the stress.

Luckily we are going out on Sunday am. You were going during rush hour! Hope you had a great cruise!

On 12/12/2021 at 5:41 PM, blueslily said:

Always Cruise Thanksgiving to Xmas B4B or longer. First Couple Weeks Dec Ships were never full, Airports easy, and this B4 Covid. They the Airport Dec 20-23 twice Line was out the Door FLL. Never Flew out MIA except Summertime