The mostest ocean motion?

havanadaydreaming

was on a Princess cruise that was heading from Barbados to Ft Lauderdale on the east side of the Bahama Bank and we encountered some snotty weather out of the east. Hence ship was un protected and we were bouncing pretty good for a couple of days; they even drained the pool because it was sloshing so much. Woke up during the night and heard to sounds of someone worshiping the porcelain god and thought 'someone in next cabin is hating life' when I rolled over to find I was alone in bed ... OOOPS, I knew who it was now!

Next day we were still in the ruff stuff and few were out and about. In the afternoon I did manage to find an open bar with just a bar tender, no other patrons.  I took a stool, ordered a Guinness and we had a conversation, obviously about the sea conditions and lack of folks around the ship. BT mentioned he'd worked Alaskan cruises and knew how to handle ruff seas. Just about then the ship shuddered as they will when seas hit 'just right' and we began a decent roll. I instinctively had one hand on my beer and the other on the bar rail and braced with my knees as we took a decent roll and every bottle and glass when sliding downhill and smashed in a glorious crash .... we righted normally (it wasn't really THAT much of a roll for my experience but a cruise ship is never as prepared as a Coast Guard Cutter!) I just smiled at the BT ...... YEP, he was prepared for anything 🙃

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

The two that stand out in memory for me are the Tasman Sea and going around the horn, South America. 

Those cruises "around the horn" can certainly be interesting.  I recall one time that we were in Buenos Aires and saw a Crystal ship pulling into port that was missing one of its large life boats!  We later heard (from one of the passengers) that they had run into such violent seas (around the horn) that a large wave tore one of the life boats off the ship (lost and gone forever).  

Hank

• Like 1

Tasman Sea? Nothing. Cape Horn? Like glass. Drake Passage? No problem.

Our worst experience was aboard a tender at the Isle of Mann, waves crashed over the boat and many aboard were seasick, deposited their stomach contents in their hats. I was disgusted that the crew did not offer the sick sacks which I saw near the pilot as I reboarded the ship. The worst rolling I have experienced on ship was that night in the Irish Sea. Still haven't been seasick, my luck will run out one day.

22 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

Just about then the ship shuddered as they will when seas hit 'just right' and we began a decent roll. I instinctively had one hand on my beer and the other on the bar rail and braced with my knees as we took a decent roll and every bottle and glass when sliding downhill and smashed in a glorious crash

I have been sitting at a bar when the ship took an unexpected severe roll and watched the bartenders wrapped their arms around the glasses stacked in the work area trying to protect them like a Father would do with his children.  I have not witnessed lots of breakage in a bar, but, in the MDR under similar conditions?  Yes!  

Our local weather forecasts for this Sunday have small craft warnings for the Gulf of Mexico.  Waves are expected to be in the 7 to 9 ft range. Weekend sailings from Gulf ports might be a bit bouncy!

On one of my early Caribbean cruises I experienced 12 to 15 ft waves (per the Captain's report). Walking in the cabin corridors was risky and  tricky.  The worst was getting slammed by waves that hit the hull, almost throwing me out of my forward cabin's bed.