HALF MOON CAY

ToBe

We have traveled on HAL for many years but have never stopped in Half Moon Cay. We were scheduled to do so on a trip to the Amazon, but the weather was not agreeable.  Please  give me some suggestions of what to do there? Years ago we stopped at the Celebrity private beach and we swam and had a picnic. It was not a tender port. We do not spend much time in the sun and prefer to walk and explore. This is our first cruise since we left the Westerdam and  flew home from Cambodia February 21, 2020. I can't wait to be at sea again!

Thank you for any help!!!!!

We absolutely loved the aquatrax. Basically you go on a jet ski but it is a defined route with a guide in front and in back. It was so much fun. HMC is also the perfect beach day if you like that. The lunch buffet/bbq they set up is quite good as I recall. They also have an island tram tour which is interesting and takes you to see some of the back of house stuff as well as talks about how they staff & provision an island. We really enjoyed that also. 

HMC is a tender port but they do not use the ship’s tenders. They have large tender boats that come from the island (and are actually two decks) so tendering is very fast compared to a regular tender port. I believe they are much more accessible as you go from the ship to the tender on the upper deck and then there is a ramp down to the lower deck when you get off on the island so it is physically much easier than a regular port also. 

• Like 1

Look on the excursions available for Half Moon Cay to get an idea of what to do.  My son loves the horseback riding, which involves guiding the horse on land paths and through the sea.  This excursion has become a tradition that he does each time we go, and we've been to the island probably a dozen times.  The first time we went we rode the horses and rented a cabana.  DH and I had the attitude that we've been there, done that, so we never paid for those things again.

The lunch on the island hasn't changed much over the years.  It's worth a look, but if you find nothing you like, you can go back to the ship were the Lido and Dive-In are open.  The tender runs every few minutes, so you don't have to worry about waiting to return to the island after lunch. 

If you prefer not to pay for an excursion, walking around the island is very enjoyable too, or you can simply sit on the beach and wiggle your toes in the powdery sand or swim.  There is also a bar and restaurant if you want to pay for food/beer/alcohol.

Half Moon Cay is one of our favorite spots, and like the signs say, you may truly wish you could stay forever.  Enjoy your day of a little slice of paradise.

Edited by sevenseasnomad
  • Like 1

Wait for the thundering herd to make their way over to the island.

Enjoy a peaceful ride on an empty tender.

Enjoy a swim in the water.

Go back to the ship on an empty tender and enjoy an air conditioned lunch in the Lido. Your options for your lunch will be larger than on shore.  Select a window table to enjoy the picture perfect view of a Caribbean beach and island.

• Like 5

Its paradise defined. 

Here is what we do.....

We head out on an early tender.....head to the beach and find the hammocks about 3/4 of the way down the beach (hope they are still there when we go next week)....relax in the hammocks for a while....Walk the beach all the way down to the rocks.  Watch the horse's head out in the water.....Wade in the water.....At lunchtime, head to the beach BBQ and enjoy the feast.....There are sheltered picnic table pavilions with no-one around....just walk past the crowds....Throw a few crumbs to the chickens.....

After lunch, we go exploring....several sandy hiking trails...one in particular goes to an isolated lagoon.....We take another long walk on the beach and then head back to the ship......

Some may think that is boring.....but we do enjoy our day at Half Moon Cay........Again, it is paradise defined.

Have fun....

• Like 4

11 hours ago, sherryf said:

Can you snorkel right from shore somewhere?  I have my own gear.

We loved the snorkeling at HMC!  We had our own gear so I'm not sure of what is available on the island to rent/borrow...  Along the left side (when standing looking at the sea) is a rocky ledge that follows the shoreline out towards the sea...it is teaming with colorful fish.  It is an easy entry from the beach and the water was nice and calm for a leisurely snorkel!  We are headed there in January and can't wait!!!!

17 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

With some of the ports being canceled I wish we could stay at HMC overnight. The place is far more appealing than Nassau or Bimini

The Captain of the Nieuw Statendam explained that ships cannot anchor in shallow water (15 meters) so stability is maintained with computer-directed thrusters.  It is cheaper and much safer to go out to sea, sail around, and return the next AM. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sherryf said:

Can you snorkel right from shore somewhere?  I have my own gear.

We've found 2 places to snorkel:  First is right by where the tender docks, but on the beach side.  The second is a 30 minute walk down to the end of the road by the horse corrals and then another 15 minutes up to the rocks and the sign "Go NO Farther".  Just off the beach there is the better free snorkeling for HMC.

• Like 1

Water was bathtub warm and we never wanted to get out on a stop there in November once. Water gets colder as you move more into the spring season.  Rash guard is a good idea for a little more insulation.  Water shoes helpful if going to the very rocky end of the lovely curving beach

There are also inland walking trails where you can find the ruins of a former coral block residence.  Concur with the snorkeling recommendations. Our favorite is to walk all the way to the end of the beach - you quickly get past the crowds and it is just you and the sea with your lovely ship floating almost in the "air"  in the clear water,  off the horizon making  a super photo shot.

Buffet food is okay - hamburgers, fish and chicken mainly,  but I think they now have an extra charge lobster place. We are not necessarily beach people but we always enjoy out time - even if it is just lounging in the shade and walking around - the views back to the ship are worth it. Just like a cruise industry ad.

7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

..........  but I think they now have an extra charge lobster place. We are not necessarily beach people but we always enjoy out time - even if it is just lounging in the shade and walking around - the views back to the ship are worth it.

Here is a link to the Lobster Shack menu.  You have to make a reservation onboard.  I do not recommend the lobster chowder.  Lobster Shack Menu

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Al Aboard said:

Where do you make the reservations (shore excursions desk, specialty dining, front desk, etc.)?

All of the above.  For Pinnacle-class ships there is a kiosk on Deck 2 across from the Sel de Mer Restaurant that is open during the day to make reservations for not only the Lobster Shack but all Specialty Restaurants

On 12/13/2021 at 7:56 AM, fkfad said:

We loved the snorkeling at HMC!  We had our own gear so I'm not sure of what is available on the island to rent/borrow...  Along the left side (when standing looking at the sea) is a rocky ledge that follows the shoreline out towards the sea...it is teaming with colorful fish.  It is an easy entry from the beach and the water was nice and calm for a leisurely snorkel!  We are headed there in January and can't wait!!!!

Also, the resident 4-foot barracuda seems very friendly. We usually see it sitting just below the large foam rubber raft that's always out there for people to use.