Where to covid test in Miami as a UK national?

NeonXIII

Hello! First of all, sorry sorry sorry I know, this bloody question again... I tried to search but I'm still fairly uncertain so now I'm just going to ask because I don't want to mess this up:

Where can I get the required pre-boarding covid test in Miami as a UK national? Has anyone from the UK been through the process recently? 

I'm flying to Miami from Heathrow on a Wednesday and I'll be boarding Freedom on the Friday. so at some point on Weds/Thurs we'll need to go and get our antigen tests to board the ship. 

I've just tried to book at Miami airport for when we arrive but unless I'm messing something up here it looks like they're only for departures rather than arrivals. I won't have a car for drive-thru testing, I won't have a US insurance number and I won't have a US address to ship a test kit to myself beforehand - I'm also wary of risking it all on an iffy internet connection you know? That said, if that's what needs to be done then so be it... I'd just like to know what my realistic (and preferably tested) options are here if anyone can help?

Thanks in advance!

Get tested at the Miami airport since you will be already there. The onsite testing locations in the Miami airport are pre-security, so you will be able to access them. Pick up your baggage and then go test.

The form for the NOMI site is just asking for the airline info as if you are flying because it's most common that travelers testing at the airport are doing so to board a flight to a destination that requires a test. You should be able to just enter in N/A and pick the date of the test and still be able to submit the form.

• The Central Terminal facility, operated by Communitel and Family Rehab, Inc. and located at MIA’s Concourse E ground level median in front of Door 11, provides Antigen and Rapid PCR tests with results within 15 minutes and PCR tests with results within 40 minutes. The facility is open daily 24 hours a day for walk-ins and scheduled appointments. For testing costs or to schedule an appointment, call 305-869-1161. Customers will receive a written test result, or results can be emailed upon request.

• MIA’s South Terminal testing facility, operated by Nomi Health and located near the Concourse H TSA Checkpoint on the departures level at Door 20, provides Antigen, PCR, and Rapid PCR tests daily from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. for walk-ins and scheduled appointments. PCR test results are provided within 24 hours, Rapid PCR test results within one hour with an oral swab, and Antigen results are available within 15 minutes. Notifications and results are provided to customers via text and/or email. For testing costs or to schedule an appointment, visit the Nomi Health website or call (305) 280-0694toll free at (833) 685-0700.
  • Like 2

I would agree with the above poster.  There should be no requirement that you actually be on an outbound plane to get your test at MIA.  If there's a form, put "For Cruise" as your flight or something like that.  

You may be able to find lower priced options at Miami local testing locations that you can find by Googling.  There should be testing medical express locations doing testing as well as local hospitals.  

We are flying out from Heathrow on a Friday in January and boarding Explorer in San Juan on the Sunday. We have booked 6am tests at Heathrow with Xpress test on the morning we fly out as our cruise tests. We have also booked antigen tests on the Thursday near home as our 'flight' tests.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I managed to push through on the Nomi health booking for MIA, but under the mandatory airline info section, the only departure airport listed in the dropdown is MIA and there's a checkbox to confirm I'm happy for my test results to be passed onto my airline so they can decide whether to let me board or not... so I'm sceptical on whether I'll be allowed to use the service or not as an arrival.

On the guest dashboard I'm also only able to book up to four days in advance so I'm still a little wary and would ideally find another clinic downtown somewhere if there are any suggestions? Just as a backup.

I did enquire about whether a test carried out at Heathrow would be acceptable as it was carried out in the UK and was told via RCI live chat that the test would need to be carried out within the 48 hours before boarding and unfortunately my flight falls outside this window. @smally I'd double check that one to be safe before you go

4 minutes ago, NeonXIII said:

I did enquire about whether a test carried out at Heathrow would be acceptable as it was carried out in the UK and was told via RCI live chat that the test would need to be carried out within the 48 hours before boarding and unfortunately my flight falls outside this window.

Hmmm. I'm not convinced you've been given the correct information on this. As I understood it, it's calculated in days not hours, so it shouldn't matter what time of day you do it. 

Look at this chart from Royal's own website here

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-do-i-figure-out-when-to-get-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

image.thumb.png.6e9b76567677fe1342bc06f607a89d4f.png

41 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Hmmm. I'm not convinced you've been given the correct information on this. As I understood it, it's calculated in days not hours, so it shouldn't matter what time of day you do it. 

Look at this chart from Royal's own website here

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-do-i-figure-out-when-to-get-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

That's what I thought but the live chat staff are confusing me... I'm sure this is the same person I spoke to yesterday as well:

I wanted to confirm whether the pre-boarding covid test is required to be taken two days before boarding, or 48 hours specifically?

4:30 PM

Heidy

Thank you for your question, may I know the ship and sail date of your interest ? As it may vary depending on the port

4:31 PM

Sure, it's Freedom of the Seas and the sail date would be the 14th of January

4:31 PM

Heidy

Awesome, Yes, Vaccinated guests must present a negative PCR or antigen test result taken no more than 2 days prior to sailing in order to board

4:32 PM

My flight leaves London at 09:40AM on Wednesday 12th, which would be about 05:40AM in Miami, but it would be hugely helpful if I could take my antigen test from Heathrow rather than in mIami

So would that be acceptable?

Heidy

It will be valid it is still between the 48 hours prior to sail, If the test is past the 48 hours, You will be required to take a new one

Doe

Edited by NeonXIII

22 minutes ago, NeonXIII said:

That's what I thought but the live chat staff are confusing me...

I think they're confusing themselves as well. 

From comments I've read on other posts (which, of course, I can't find now 😞),  I am pretty sure that as long as your test is done after midnight as you move from Tuesday into Wednesday Miami time, you should be good to go, so taking @smally's example, 6 am in Heathrow is 1 am in Miami, meaning that should be fine.

But I totally understand your nervousness given the scope for confusion and how far you're travelling. It's a real quandary. 

I wonder if your hotel in Miami might be able to suggest somewhere? I believe some hotels can even make arrangements on guests' behalf. That might be an avenue worth exploring.

1 hour ago, NeonXIII said:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I managed to push through on the Nomi health booking for MIA, but under the mandatory airline info section, the only departure airport listed in the dropdown is MIA and there's a checkbox to confirm I'm happy for my test results to be passed onto my airline so they can decide whether to let me board or not... so I'm sceptical on whether I'll be allowed to use the service or not as an arrival.

On the guest dashboard I'm also only able to book up to four days in advance so I'm still a little wary and would ideally find another clinic downtown somewhere if there are any suggestions? Just as a backup.

I did enquire about whether a test carried out at Heathrow would be acceptable as it was carried out in the UK and was told via RCI live chat that the test would need to be carried out within the 48 hours before boarding and unfortunately my flight falls outside this window. @smally I'd double check that one to be safe before you go

We got tested (Antigen)at Schiphol Airport Netherlands at local time 7.00 am Saturday and boarded Jewel of the Seas Monday at 12 noon. Test was accepted. So you should be good to go if you do test in Heathrow two days before departure.

Just be mindful of the time zone listed on your negative results letter.  

It's okay for the letter not to use a US time zone but it could confuse the terminal workers at the ship.  One of my test letters used UTC which made it look like I tested one day closer to the cruise given an evening test in a US time zone.  Just be ready to point out the time zone and explain the math to them.  

I have seen one UK test provider (Testing For All) that has a supervised lateral flow test available. The test is delivered to your UK home and is supposed to be good for entry to the US. You are given instructions on how to join a videocall and take the test. There are specific hours you can do this (Mon-Thur 9-6 and Fri-Sun 9-5 UK time) but location-wise it can be done anywhere you have an internet connection. They are not that expensive in the grand scheme of things so could be a useful back-up to have. 

My experience was, after 2 cruises on Jewel, 2 on Symphony, they were only looking and asking for the word “ Negative” on my phone. Even going from ship to ship and back. All  other tests were done on board. By the way, they were testing at both Miami Terminals. This Sunday the testing man at Terminal G was taking a nap during the wait for clients, the woman at the table busy with her phone, as it was so quiet, I sat nearby for an hour waiting to be picked up while the new guests were dropped off. 

Thanks again everyone, I think we'll take our chances at Miami airport and do a test as soon as we arrive. There are a couple of 24 hour clinics which would require an Uber to get to but we should be able to make work otherwise.

Also on the 48 hour/two day testing thing, my partner and I checked again and they continue to insist that it's 48 hours, not two days before. I'm just not going to take the risk which is a shame because Heathrow would've been sooo much easier... saying that, they also say a PCR is needed which doesn't sound right either...

image.png.7a976cefd9fe4820ed4f6bb111a66355.png

What a hassle for you @NeonXIII :classic_sad:

Royal's own getting ready to sail page specifically says it can be a PCR or an antigen. Their insistence on the 48 hours and the PCR sounds to me like what the rules were for sailings from the UK over the summer. I wonder if that could be where the confusion is coming from.

Anyway, I totally understand you not wanting to take chances. I'm sure I wouldn't want to either.

I hope it all works out for you and that once you're on the deck of the ship with a drink in hand you'll be able to put it all behind you and have a fabulous cruise.