Just got our notification about Grand Cayman Replacement

my kids mama

Sailing on the Pride in January.  Instead of Grand Cayman, we get Costa Maya.  Never been there. We have another cruise scheduled in December that was already supposed to go to Costa Maya.  I reserved space for us at Maya Chan.  What are your thoughts on the replacement port? 

19 minutes ago, my kids mama said:

Sailing on the Pride in January.  Instead of Grand Cayman, we get Costa Maya.  Never been there. We have another cruise scheduled in December that was already supposed to go to Costa Maya.  I reserved space for us at Maya Chan.  What are your thoughts on the replacement port? 

Having been to both, I prefer Costa Maya to Grand Cayman.

• Like 4

I’m not a fan of Costa Maya and would likely stay on the ship next time. Having just been there on the Regal Princess a few days ago, I was reminded just how boring it is of a port stop — for us.

Personally, I would have preferred visiting our original port of call instead of Princess Cays.

59 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I’m not a fan of Costa Maya and would likely stay on the ship next time. Having just been there on the Regal Princess a few days ago, I was reminded just how boring it is of a port stop — for us.

Personally, I would have preferred visiting our original port of call instead of Princess Cays.

Gotcha.  I have had ports like that. Did you ever book Maya Chan when you were there?

34 minutes ago, jebridan said:

Also sailing the Pride in January, on the 8th.  How did you get notified? 

I received an email on December 10th. Just saw it today, as we were working too much to check emails. Our friends that are traveling with us didn't get the same email. I can try to post it here. 

18 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Not of an interest to me as I live within 5 minutes of the beach.

Understood. I bet many ports seem boring to you. I have heard that the service of Maya Chan is what keeps people coming back.  I will see how I like it in December, then decide for January. 

3 minutes ago, my kids mama said:

Understood. I bet many ports seem boring to you. I have heard that the service of Maya Chan is what keeps people coming back.  I will see how I like it in December, then decide for January. 

I hope you enjoy it!

Personally, I try to avoid visiting public beaches or beaches that allow you to purchase day passes as the local beach I visit is part of a private beach club with Waldorf Astoria.

Most ports aren’t boring to me… there honestly is nothing to do in Costa Maya. This port is the only one I dislike visiting. I’m even happier in Nassau.

5 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I hope you enjoy it!

Personally, I try to avoid visiting public beaches or beaches that allow you to purchase day passes as the local beach I visit is part of a private beach club with Waldorf Astoria.

Most ports aren’t boring to me… there honestly is nothing to do in Costa Maya. This port is the only one I dislike visiting. I’m even happier in Nassau.

Nassau is also one of the few ports I haven't visited.  I was wondering if we were going to go there with the GC closure. So far, my least "liked" port was La Romana.  I read a post here on CC recently about someone that booked a cruise specifically that stopped in Costa Maya, just so he could go to Maya Chan again.  So far, all I can say is this; the reviews are stellar, and the email response I have received has been wonderful.  The price was decent too.  It's $69 pp for the day.  That includes, your own private area with table, chairs, day bed/palapa, floaty chairs in the water, Kayaking, paddle boarding, snorkeling, drinks, and an awesome(from what I have read) mayan lunch. Oh, and also transportation to and from the ship. They even bring you a drink while you are out floating in the water. I know there might be an issue with the sea weed in the water.  After the year we have had in our family business, I am just looking forward to great service and relaxation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, my kids mama said:

May I ask you why?

Cayman is a tender port which means you have to line up for tender with thousands of other passengers. Tendering is subject to weather condition and may be canceled if sea is too rough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, my kids mama said:

Nassau is also one of the few ports I haven't visited.  I was wondering if we were going to go there with the GC closure. So far, my least "liked" port was La Romana.  I read a post here on CC recently about someone that booked a cruise specifically that stopped in Costa Maya, just so he could go to Maya Chan again.  So far, all I can say is this; the reviews are stellar, and the email response I have received has been wonderful.  The price was decent too.  It's $69 pp for the day.  That includes, your own private area with table, chairs, day bed/palapa, floaty chairs in the water, Kayaking, paddle boarding, snorkeling, drinks, and an awesome(from what I have read) mayan lunch. Oh, and also transportation to and from the ship. They even bring you a drink while you are out floating in the water. I know there might be an issue with the sea weed in the water.  After the year we have had in our family business, I am just looking forward to great service and relaxation. 

Princess doesn’t visit La Romana so I can’t comment on it. It sounds like you’ll have a nice time at Maya Chan. It just isn’t for me.

Sargassum is a pretty big issue right now in Mexico as you mentioned but isn’t as bad as it was a few months ago. Hopefully it’ll be cleared up by the time you go.

2 hours ago, my kids mama said:

Interesting.   The email replaces Grand Cayman on January 23rd,  doesn't make a change to February 5th which also stops there, and makes the replacement on sailings in March and April.  

I am going to assume those of us on the February 5th sailing will get some notification eventually, maybe.  

55 minutes ago, dexddd said:

GC is a great port but they really don't want or need ships.

Yeah, it was posted in another thread about potential reopening. Seems developer(s) are pushing to ban cruise ships and build towards strictly hotels/resorts based tourism.

13 hours ago, my kids mama said:

We had a great time at Maya Chan. Excellent service.

• Like 1

In Costa Maya we took a taxi for $8 to The Krazy Lobster.  Had a great time there, split a lobster lunch and tasty margaritas.  The water was clear because there were nets keeping the seaweed away.  Sat at a table under a palapa and palms.  I had an hour long awesome massage a few feet away from our table for $20.  I want to go back!

beach.jpg

lobster.jpg

view.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Cayman is a tender port which means you have to line up for tender with thousands of other passengers. Tendering is subject to weather condition and may be canceled if sea is too rough.

Are there 2 ports for Grand Cayman?  I remember walking off the ship and walking to the beach.  

51 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

In Costa Maya we took a taxi for $8 to The Krazy Lobster.  Had a great time there, split a lobster lunch and tasty margaritas.  The water was clear because there were nets keeping the seaweed away.  Sat at a table under a palapa and palms.  I had an hour long awesome massage a few feet away from our table for $20.  I want to go back!

beach.jpg

lobster.jpg

view.jpg

Your pictures are making me so excited! Maybe when we go back in January, we will go there. That sounds like a great day to me. 

• Like 2