Shipwreck Bar

Whoanelly321

8 hours ago, Whoanelly321 said:

Does anyone know if Shipwreck Bar is still open? It was on Friar's Bay or Beach.  We were going to do the Carambola Beach Resort excursion and then walk down there or take a taxi if we can. 

yes it's still open.  If you like to walk on beach, its not that bad.  I don't know how mobile you are.  

If one must visit Shipwreck, then suggest a pass on the Carambola trip, save your dollars to spend at Shipwreck and take a taxi there direct from ship.

Forgot to add.

Also consider “Discovery Beach Bar” - Midway between Carambola and Shipwreck

Edited by PORT ROYAL

We booked the Carambola beach escape due to the restrictions at the time but it sounds like we are now able to take taxi on our own?  We are fully vaccinated. If so, I'll cancel that excursion and do a taxi. Also will check out Discovery Bar! I don't remember that one. Thanks for the input!

On 12/17/2021 at 10:33 PM, Whoanelly321 said:

We booked the Carambola beach escape due to the restrictions at the time but it sounds like we are now able to take taxi on our own?  We are fully vaccinated. If so, I'll cancel that excursion and do a taxi. Also will check out Discovery Bar! I don't remember that one. Thanks for the input!

good choice!  We are in St. Kitts in less than 2 weeks and had originally booked the Carambola beach excursion for the sole purpose of going down to shipwreck for nostalgia.  We weren't thrilled but that were our only options that appealed to us as we despise bus tours on beautiful islands with bathroom and trinket breaks.  Once we started seeing the shift online, we cancelled the excursion.  We did decide to go with Javin as we have used him years ago.  Hope your day is a good one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 6:25 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

If one must visit Shipwreck, then suggest a pass on the Carambola trip, save your dollars to spend at Shipwreck and take a taxi there direct from ship.

Forgot to add.

Also consider “Discovery Beach Bar” - Midway between Carambola and Shipwreck

Do you know the approximate taxi fare to get to Shipwreck and or Discovery Beach Bar?

16 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Do you know the approximate taxi fare to get to Shipwreck and or Discovery Beach Bar?

Shared minivan was $8.00 pp e/w

Shipwreck is past it’s best, but Discovery would value your custom, also let Discovery know your arriving to book beds, lunch etc.  

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Book

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 10:14 PM, Whoanelly321 said:

Does anyone know if Shipwreck Bar is still open? It was on Friar's Bay or Beach.  We were going to do the Carambola Beach Resort excursion and then walk down there or take a taxi if we can. 

It was open a few years ago! We used to love the place but now go to Carambola beach club, you can’t beat real porcelain toilets! Not sani cans like Shipwreck. I usually walk down there for a beer. Great snorkeling 🤿 from shore between the 2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We are considering heading this way next week.  Is it safe to say that if a taxi driver says they will return for us near a certain time that they will?  That's my only concern really. And I see in new reviews that Shipwreck has some "real" toilets now.... maybe we'll see soon LOL. 

1 hour ago, tartana said:

We are considering heading this way next week.  Is it safe to say that if a taxi driver says they will return for us near a certain time that they will?  That's my only concern really. And I see in new reviews that Shipwreck has some "real" toilets now.... maybe we'll see soon LOL. 

No need to worry.

If a driver does not arrive, then the Bar will telephone one.  Be there in minutes

On 11/17/2022 at 9:19 PM, tartana said:

Reading the reviews, one review says the beach has gone because of erosion, this has put me off a little.

On 11/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, Rob1966 said:

Reading the reviews, one review says the beach has gone because of erosion, this has put me off a little.

we enjoyed our visit there last week.  The whole place is quite "tatty" but it checked all our boxes... bucket of beer was cheap; I did find their food prices pretty "touristy" though for as "local" the spot is.  I'm assuming they have a different price list for the locals. Washrooms were rustic but fine and flushing. A massage on the beach was 40US per half hour which I also found extremely touristy for the surroundings.  lovely though. (much cheaper than a high end spot though) The taxi was also extremely expensive for the short distance from the port IMO. We should have looked for the "shared" transportation but it was a madhouse when we got off so we took a private ride. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2022 at 3:07 PM, Rob1966 said:

We were there at Shipwreck some 8 years ago and there really was no beach.  Our lounges were in the water.  Anyone been there recently?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 2:05 PM, rjrpar said:

The place is a dump but some seem to love it.

Kind of the "beauty" about it.   We stay at Carambola Beach Club, but take a walk down to Discovery Beach bar to chill at the bar. Cool vibe.   BTW in case you didn't know, the beach in front of the bar is black sand.  But white in front of Cararmbola 

On 12/16/2021 at 10:14 PM, Whoanelly321 said:

Yes it’s open! But I guarantee you your wife will appreciate the porcelain toilet 🚽 at carambola beach club at the other end of the beach 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Shipwreck with a group of around 15. The bar a bit tatty is an understatement... it did serve it's purpose if you want cheap beer $3 Corona. Someone had fish tacos and liked them. Bathroom was RUFF with a capital ROUGH!

No price for lounger, but they have seen better days. Shade is where you make it. Be xtra careful entering water as it is hidden corral and rocks. Safest way in. With sea to your back, go toward right and you'll see man make entrance, almost like steps (pinkish color) you will be able to walk in carefully. Had one twisted ankle and another fell on corral and received black throne like prickies in both hands.

Were feeding the monkeys coming out of woods...

Did not go to carambola, didn't plan to go and there were no reservations open. Turns out a ship took it over and was tendering passengers to carambola's dock.

On 2/20/2023 at 7:07 PM, Outta My Work Clothes said:

We went to Shipwreck with a group of around 15. The bar a bit tatty is an understatement... it did serve it's purpose if you want cheap beer $3 Corona. Someone had fish tacos and liked them. Bathroom was RUFF with a capital ROUGH!

No price for lounger, but they have seen better days. Shade is where you make it. Be xtra careful entering water as it is hidden corral and rocks. Safest way in. With sea to your back, go toward right and you'll see man make entrance, almost like steps (pinkish color) you will be able to walk in carefully. Had one twisted ankle and another fell on corral and received black throne like prickies in both hands.

Were feeding the monkeys coming out of woods...

Did not go to carambola, didn't plan to go and there were no reservations open. Turns out a ship took it over and was tendering passengers to carambola's dock.

Next visit, to avoid a disappointment consider a Day Pass @ Marriott

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Next visit, to avoid a disappointment consider a Day Pass @ Marriott

Have been to Marriott 2 previous visits, raise in price was one of reasons to look elsewhere, and look at different parts of Isle... If return to St Kitts is on our next itinerary might look at going back. Might of been different if started at sardine factory know as Carambola and walked down beach for a drink at Shipwreck.

1 hour ago, Outta My Work Clothes said:

Have been to Marriott 2 previous visits, raise in price was one of reasons to look elsewhere, and look at different parts of Isle... If return to St Kitts is on our next itinerary might look at going back. Might of been different if started at sardine factory know as Carambola and walked down beach for a drink at Shipwreck.

Just did a search and this day pass popped up…..

https://www.travelpulse.com/opinions/blog/enjoy-a-unique-day-trip-in-st-kitts.html

Knew about this place, but didn’t know it did day passes… 

• Thanks 1