RCCL - No more onboard tests for Canadians

snoope

Just learning about this now, we are on Jan 9 sailing...really disappointed as we have been on many lines but was our first RCI and went with this decision based on not having to worry about testing:(

If we were to cancel due to this would it only be a credit vs refund? 

When they refer to testing at the terminal, is it just walk in, is it booked, is it guaranteed available for immediate results, is there a company name?

4 hours ago, edrussell said:

This being our first cruise (Jan 20, out of Baltimore) we have no point of reference to compare RCCL against other lines but I will say the timing of this to be frustrating (I am using softer language than I really want to).  In a way though I cannot say I am surprised by it.  Our final payment date was last night and we decided to push ahead anyway.  We will get the Switch Health kits and go that way.  

Please let us all know how it goes for you by reporting back her when you return.  Good luck with everything.

1 hour ago, petuniaflower said:

When they refer to testing at the terminal, is it just walk in, is it booked, is it guaranteed available for immediate results, is there a company name?

Great questions, but they have not released any details at all regarding the new change in procedure other than they will no longer provide disembarking tests to passengers requiring them for reentry into their home countries as RCCL had been offering since July (and said they would be doing until the end of March but they changed their mind).

For those flying AC or Westjet from Miami . . .

I called Miami airport, and Nomi Health. There is a rapid PCR test (30 min) in the South Terminal close to where AC and WJ have their gates, J. Cost is $179USD. They said they take walk ins but best to make an appt on their website. 

• Like 1

We're kind of going against the grain here, but we built in a return safety net time wise for our cruise in May.  As usual we're going a fly in a day early to take all the guess work out of travel and have our antigen test results at the ready.  Coming home we decided to build in a similar stay over regardless to make sure we get the appropriate test(s) all done on the day of disembarkation and results prior to flying home the following day.  Added cost of testing out of your pocket instead of the cruise line picking up the tab, but calms the nerves a bit instead of worrying about catching flights in a timely fashion.  Role with the punches, simplify things, and hope for the best.  

• Like 5

Our TA suggested to use Air2Sea services for our flights. Up to this past weekend it totally made sense because it was placing responsibility of getting us aboard and safely back onto RCL. The change in policy removed this safety net, and drastically elevated the risks and costs associated with obtaining proper test results for a party of six in a mere hours prior to scheduled flight time of 1:50 PM on the same date.

First of all, more expensive tickets for Air2Sea. Further obfuscation of infection stats aboard the ship. Additional stress of trying to figure out where and how to test on return date. And also very likely an additional expense of up CAD$1800 for a party of six for guarantee of receiving test results rapidly. There's still no guarantee that tests results will be satisfactory for travel.

Roped off bars on Symphony. Kids club restricted to 20 kids on a ship with 3,500 passengers. Laser Tag activity closed. Escape Room is closed. Mingling restricted.

I have one day left to decide whether to pull the plug.

With two RC cruises, one in January and another with family in February I am stress to say the least by the testing situation, when I checked the testing site at FLL a 30 minute PCR test was listed for $395/pp YIKES!

Now if the cruise line is not testing at the end of the cruise are they still going to test me when I’m doing a b2b cruise?  I would love to just cancel but my family has a say in this too as they are adults, now to just lay out the facts and hope they feel the same way 😞

My cruises aren't until March but this does throw a wrench into things. I was hoping RCL would do the test between my cruises and before I have to come home. I guess I'll need a new plan, hoping I'll be able to get the switch tests, I don't want to buy them too early in case they aren't needed or expire too early. This of course is all if I get to go. Fingers crossed Omicron is quickly over and nothing new pops up. 

Is Celebrity still offering the tests (even for $$) at/before disembarkation as of right now for late January sailings?
Asking for a Canadian friend who was getting a "no...yes...no...maybe...yes" runaround on the phone with X last night. 

I canceled a HAL cruise for Feb.26

Too stressful getting tested at the dock praying it will result in a negative result.

What if it isn't.  Or one person is positive. Who pays and where do you go. Does HAL put you up til you test negative or do they turn a blind eye?

Does HAL fly us back to YYZ upon a negative result having been achieved?

The fun factor of a relaxing cruise is gone. I dread the final day, the disembarkation and the nerve wracking test on the dock, not to mention filling out the additional apps .

This is our third cancellation since Trudeau shut our borders.

PS...went to Staples and got them to laminate a downsized health card and Ontario form showing 2 vacs and my booster shot for $7.50

Have a Merry Christmas everyone

Bob

55 minutes ago, D C said:

Is Celebrity still offering the tests (even for $$) at/before disembarkation as of right now for late January sailings?
Asking for a Canadian friend who was getting a "no...yes...no...maybe...yes" runaround on the phone with X last night. 

Yes, the test is still available on the last full day of the cruise. Whether or not a fee is charged depends on when the cruise was booked. From the website:

Currently all fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive complimentary testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR test.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, the test is still available on the last full day of the cruise. Whether or not a fee is charged depends on when the cruise was booked. From the website:

Currently all fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive complimentary testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR test.

I'm extremely disappointed that Royal didn't move in this direction as well - make it easy for non-US citizens to get a test in advance of disembarkation at the very least. I thought it was a nice perk that it was provided to cruisers previously but I do understand their desire to stop spending money on testing. 

Now I have to decide if I'm willing to roll the dice with my family of 6 on disembarkation day trying to drive around New Jersey to find a place to do rapid PCR testing at who knows how much (assume $95 USD per at minimum). The cost sucks (line item of minimum $1000 for COVID tests) but worrying about finding somewhere to get it done with my kids in tow sounds like an absolutely horrendous way to end what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation. 

My husband is pretty chill about it but this might be a complete show stopper for me, assuming of course the border remains open, we're not under lockdown, etc etc etc doesn't make the decision for us like it did two years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JillK said:

I'm extremely disappointed that Royal didn't move in this direction as well - make it easy for non-US citizens to get a test in advance of disembarkation at the very least. I thought it was a nice perk that it was provided to cruisers previously but I do understand their desire to stop spending money on testing. 

Now I have to decide if I'm willing to roll the dice with my family of 6 on disembarkation day trying to drive around New Jersey to find a place to do rapid PCR testing at who knows how much (assume $95 USD per at minimum). The cost sucks (line item of minimum $1000 for COVID tests) but worrying about finding somewhere to get it done with my kids in tow sounds like an absolutely horrendous way to end what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation. 

My husband is pretty chill about it but this might be a complete show stopper for me, assuming of course the border remains open, we're not under lockdown, etc etc etc doesn't make the decision for us like it did two years ago. 

Yes, very disappointing, especially for those whose decision to book with RCI was in part based on the availability of the tests. It's like buying a new car and finding out just before delivery that they no longer include the radio. Or even offer it as an optional ($) extra.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, very disappointing, especially for those whose decision to book with RCI was in part based on the availability of the tests. It's like buying a new car and finding out just before delivery that they no longer include the radio. Or even offer it as an optional ($) extra.

Certainly didn’t book with RCI based on access to testing but I did book my return airfare based on it.  I have no trouble paying for the test, I just need it back on the day we disembark for my 2:30 flight home!

Also I can do without a radio but no doing without a Covid test 😉

Edited by MsDolly

What happens if you are cruising and then have one day off ship before a second cruise with RCL. This is really no different than having an overnight in San Francisco as we are on the second cruise. They really haven’t thought this through very well unless there are exceptions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

OK, how about it's like finding out at the last minute that they've removed TV's from all of the cabins? 😇

@Fouremco - I appreciate both of your analogies 😃 But I also appreciate and relate to the points of view you've presented throughout not only this thread but all of the other Canadian Cruisers threads too! 

I am just grateful that we were able to squeeze our cruise in late Nov when we did and took full advantage of the complimentary PCR test. This truly was a really big selling feature and why I booked it on Oct 22nd - the day after our travel ban was quietly lifted. 

So sorry to those on sailings post early January. I would be just as infuriated because it adds so much stress to the travel experience to just try and return home. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think as another poster had posted, they should grand father the free PCR tests for those who booked before their announcement, otherwise refund the cruise 100%(even non refundable). Unlike the itinerary changes, which is sometimes our of their hands, this was a service they had touted which was a deciding factor to cruise and with Royal and is purely a monetary issue.

I'm on probably my last RCCL cruise ... My wife did not enjoy it...  Subjective yes, but she felt the food has gone down hill, the social distancing is a hit or miss .. but it's also my fault because prior to this our cruises have been MSC YC.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, CruisinGirl777 said:

I was told by RCL this morning that an onboard test was possible for disembarkation at a cost of $99/pp. By booking with Air2Sea and doing the test onboard, I am hoping to be covered in case of positive test. Has anyone heard any new updates? 

I know Celebrity has been offering that, but Royal has said they will cover the cost of your test at the terminal for sailings Jan 5 - 31. Nothing on their website about onboard testing for a fee. I would call again and see what answer you get.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 9:28 AM, D C said:

While the website says one thing cruisers are saying another - as of Jan 5th from what I am reading Canadian cruisers are NOT being tested onboard prior to getting off the ship - but the testing is now being done off the ship in the terminal after disembarkation.  

If you booked prior to Nov 16 there is no charge - otherwise you would have to pay.  I don't object to the $$ but I do object to the change in policy and not having the results in hand when you get off the ship.

You are not allowed to wait for your results so off to the airport you go - hoping to get your (negative) results prior to your flight.  If you test positive then you're stuck - I don't think Celebrity's 'safe passage home' protocol would be in effect as you are off the ship and no longer their responsbility!

Super disappointing to say the least!!

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, CruisinGirl777 said:

I was told by RCL this morning that an onboard test was possible for disembarkation at a cost of $99/pp. By booking with Air2Sea and doing the test onboard, I am hoping to be covered in case of positive test. Has anyone heard any new updates? 

We had pending Air2Sea for Jan 22 reservation. As you're aware RCL changed their prior commitments circa Dec 20. Our TA forwarded to us a letter from RCL that essentially implied that we're now on our own with regards to tests. As a result of this policy change we didn't proceed with our Air2Sea full payment that was due on Dec 22.

There are no spelled out provisions in Air2Sea agreement that state that they will take care of you in case you test positive for COVID. As far as I'm concerned now there's very little to no incentive to pay extra above regular flight prices for any Air2Sea reservations.

Driving to Florida is presently the only sure way that you'll be able to get back to Canada at your convenience should anyone in your party tests positive upon disembarkation. I'd love to be proven wrong, but since the change was made on Dec 20th there have been no suggestions that I'm incorrect in my understanding of current Air2Sea or airline policies.

On 12/22/2021 at 7:28 AM, D C said:

The tests are not onboard any more with Celebrity.  We just got off the Constellation and they informed us on Sunday that we would not be tested onboard an instead the test would in the terminal the next morning.  They said this would be in place for all Celebrity ships as of January 5 and no more testing for return home would be done onboard.  The terminal testing was a mess (it was actually beside a mini-van in the parking lot, they were supposed to start testing at 7:30 and didn't show up and get started until 8:30).  The new wording in the Frequently asked questions on the website is as follows:

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked and paid in full prior to November 16, 2021.  For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99* per person.  Prices vary by port and test type.

*Test prices are set by each vendor and not by Celebrity Cruises. Payments will be made directly to the vendor providing the service. Celebrity Cruises will not collect or retain any portion of this payment.

5 hours ago, PatMunits said:

We had pending Air2Sea for Jan 22 reservation. As you're aware RCL changed their prior commitments circa Dec 20. Our TA forwarded to us a letter from RCL that essentially implied that we're now on our own with regards to tests. As a result of this policy change we didn't proceed with our Air2Sea full payment that was due on Dec 22.

There are no spelled out provisions in Air2Sea agreement that state that they will take care of you in case you test positive for COVID. As far as I'm concerned now there's very little to no incentive to pay extra above regular flight prices for any Air2Sea reservations.

Driving to Florida is presently the only sure way that you'll be able to get back to Canada at your convenience should anyone in your party tests positive upon disembarkation. I'd love to be proven wrong, but since the change was made on Dec 20th there have been no suggestions that I'm incorrect in my understanding of current Air2Sea or airline policies.

Thanks for your input. I called today and was told the opposite of what I was told during booking. As you stated it seems that it is fully up to us. And the PCR test is 250USD at the port. A big difference from the $99 that he said I could book onboard. And the biggest issue is what if there is a positive after disembarking. Will they honour their guarantee??

When I read about your suggestion about driving I initially thought great! I can pack as much as I want, stop in Tennessee for a first time visit, be able to have a vehicle to get around in Texas and get better groceries here before we cross back. Plus be able to quarantine comfortably at home, if there was a positive. 

But with our government, I cannot trust that they will keep the land border open. Things have been crazy here, especially news about Quebec today, so I don’t want to risk needing to book a flight last minute. 

I have sent an email, so I hope to get confirmation in writing so I can plan what is best. 

• Like 1