Which ship to Alaska?

Yesimapirate

I'm planning on booking my first Alaskan cruise in the next few days.   I've done multiple cruises but never in that part of the world.   Is there one ship I should choose over another?   We will he traveling in the Haven if that makes any difference. 

My apologies for keeping this vague but I'd actually like to get feedback from the community with my post coloring it as little as possible.   Thank you all in advance. 

20 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

I'm planning on booking my first Alaskan cruise in the next few days.   I've done multiple cruises but never in that part of the world.   Is there one ship I should choose over another?   We will he traveling in the Haven if that makes any difference. 

My apologies for keeping this vague but I'd actually like to get feedback from the community with my post coloring it as little as possible.   Thank you all in advance. 

We've traveled to Alaska on both the Bliss and Encore.  I would pick a ship with the Observation lounge.  Fantastic way to enjoy the views.   Plus the Haven has it's own lounge for viewing.

• Thanks 1

Itinerary and times in port is more important than ship for alaska. Outside viewing areas are very important. Due to weather, a waterfront concept likely isn't a must have feature. I prefer a smaller ship in Alaska. The towns are small and the huge mega ships can over run the place. I might suggest you look at itinerary and select the one that has the least amount of ships in port.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Itinerary and times in port is more important than ship for alaska. Outside viewing areas are very important. Due to weather, a waterfront concept likely isn't a must have feature. I prefer a smaller ship in Alaska. The towns are small and the huge mega ships can over run the place. I might suggest you look at itinerary and select the one that has the least amount of ships in port.

That's being done as well.  But ship is still a consideration. 

We were on the Encore this past August and it was lovely. Giant observation lounge for regular folks and Haven folks. There's staff that will bring you drinks if you sit in there with snacks several times throughout the day. Multi floor courtyard, ground floor with the pool & hot tubs, middle layer has seating on the edges overlooking down into the pool area - nice and quiet for a spot with a book, and a huge outdoor area that we never got to take advantage of. Our only regret was not being in the Haven courtyard area, as we felt we missed out on a lot of things when we were too tired to walk over there from our aft cabin.

3 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Itinerary is the most important thing for an Alaskan cruise (not the ship with an Observation lounge). 

That being said, for a first time Alaskan cruiser, pick an itinerary that stops at glacier Bay. Pick an itinerary that’s a round-trip Seattle. Pick an itinerary on one of the new purpose built ships for Alaska (Norwegian joy, Norwegian bliss, and the Norwegian Encore). These ships are purpose build by having heated outdoor dining areas, heated pool, heated water slides, heated water features. These ships also have the aforementioned observation lounges. Unfortunately the observation lounge brings on the epitome of chair hogs. And there are really very few people actually get a forward facing sofa or chair in the observation lounge. We much prefer sitting out on our balcony every evening watching the whales, watching the sea life, and watching the beautiful Alaskan scenery.

Alaska is our favorite cruise destination and we sail there annually. We have recently sailed on the Bliss, Joy, and Encore to Alaska. We will be sailing next season on the Quantum of the Seas (on that other cruise line). 

Beat Alaskan cruise is northbound from Vancouver to Seward on a small ship (if it calls at glacier bay). First time cruiser, Stick to the round trip Seattle. 

Edited by BirdTravels

For the best port times the NB Jewel out of Vancouver is the best - you will see the three main AK ports as well as Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier - add a few more days and add a land trip to Denali. The SB Jewel skips Glacier Bay and adds Icy Strait Point and less port time in Juneau and Ketchikan due to the addition of Skagway.

RT cruises out of Seattle usually visit Glacier Bay along with the three main ports - Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. Glacier Bay is a full day experience and you spend a full day in Skagway and 1/2 day in the other two ports. The Encore does this route and is a good ship with a great haven.

The Bliss will visit more ports - Sitka and Icy Strait Point and will due a quick trip down to Dawes Glacier instead of Glacier Bay. 

Having three AK cruises under my belt and a forth planned in 2023, AK is way more than the ship, there is a world of natural wonders all around you - all visable from your balcony. Icy Strait Point is a newer port that is still being developed by NCL and the local natives. Sitka is an old Russian outpost and offers a unique visitor experience.

I will repeat AK is not about the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Itinerary is the most important thing for an Alaskan cruise (not the ship with an Observation lounge). 

That being said, for a first time Alaskan cruiser, pick an itinerary that stops at glacier Bay. Pick an itinerary that’s a round-trip Seattle. Pick an itinerary on one of the new purpose built ships for Alaska (Norwegian joy, Norwegian bliss, and the Norwegian Encore). These ships are purpose build by having heated outdoor dining areas, heated pool, heated water slides, heated water features. These ships also have the aforementioned observation lounges. Unfortunately the observation lounge brings on the epitome of chair hogs. And there are really very few people actually get a forward facing sofa or chair in the observation lounge. We much prefer sitting out on our balcony every evening watching the whales, watching the sea life, and watching the beautiful Alaskan scenery.

Alaska is our favorite cruise destination and we sail there annually. We have recently sailed on the Bliss, Joy, and Encore to Alaska. We will be sailing next season on the Quantum of the Seas (on that other cruise line). 

Beat Alaskan cruise is northbound from Vancouver to Seward on a small ship (if it calls at glacier bay). First time cruiser, Stick to the round trip Seattle. 

Why do you suggest first time should stick to round trip from Seattle? 

• Like 1

There are 5 NCL ships running in AK … if you want to do more of AK - scenery, itinerary- than the “fun” (eg go carts, etc), go for the smaller ships like Spirit or Sun or Jewel. These also have forward observation lounges and aft Great Outdoors. 

We’re booked on Spirit back to back Northbound & Southbound Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver in late May 2023. We will get to visit some ports twice so we have choice of excursions and stay in town for some AK seafood!

Edited by bluesea777

5 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Why do you suggest first time should stick to round trip from Seattle? 

Travel complexities into Vancouver and out of anchorage (and getting there from Seward). We have done the voyage multiple times (northbound for glacier bay). We end up with an extra day up front because of flight times and mitigation for protracted delays in Canadian immigrations. And a day or two at the back because of flight times out of anchorage (red eyes). 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Andrew_R said:

Bliss without question.  She was custom-built with features and amenities for Alaska and it shows.

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-debut-new-ship-designed-alaska-cruising-2018

The Encore is nearly identical, I believe incorporating the same amenities.

13 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Multi floor courtyard, ground floor with the pool & hot tubs, middle layer has seating on the edges overlooking down into the pool area - nice and quiet for a spot with a book, and a huge outdoor area that we never got to take advantage of

To be clear for those that may not know, these are descriptions of Haven amenities, this is not part of the Observation Lounge available to everyone.

20 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

There are 5 NCL ships running in AK … if you want to do more of AK - scenery, itinerary- than the “fun” (eg go carts, etc), go for the smaller ships like Spirit or Sun or Jewel. These also have forward observation lounges and aft Great Outdoors. 

We’re booked on Spirit back to back Northbound & Southbound Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver in late May 2023. We will get to visit some ports twice so we have choice of excursions and stay in town for some AK seafood!

I forgot to add that Spirit does Wed to Wed sailings, whereas others do weekend to weekend sailings. The former made it so attractive to us enough to book the Spirit for the AK cruises.

while RT out of Seattle is probably the eaisest, there are many options to get to Vancouver, including both bus and train from Seattle. Transportation to the cruise terminal is also easy. You will simply go through Canada Customs at the port you enter through - the Amtrak station or Bus Depot both are less crowded than the airport - even so the airport is not that bad. You will go through US Customs as you board the ship.

On the Seward end you also have options offered by NCL that include travel from the ship to the airport in Anchorage - I am not sure but I believe they charter AK RR for this. 

Most of the flight options out of Anchorage are late night departures so the normal AKRR train that leaves Seward around 6:00PM would allow you to do an excursion during the day, take the train and still make your flight. Since you are probably flying back to the US there will be no more customs to go through.

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Travel complexities into Vancouver and out of anchorage (and getting there from Seward). We have done the voyage multiple times (northbound for glacier bay). We end up with an extra day up front because of flight times and mitigation for protracted delays in Canadian immigrations. And a day or two at the back because of flight times out of anchorage (red eyes). 

I totally agree. We have done all kinds of Alaska cruises and getting through Vancouver is not for the faint hearted. Also, the Seward - anchorage connection is longer than you expect. (The oxygen using driver and the fellow rider with probable pneumonia does color my opinion). I would try the simpler Seattle-Seattle first. We also did a cruise tour first before doing a wonderful DIY land tour. Libtrek

For a first time Alaskan cruise, back to back on the Jewel.  Canadas inside passage. The real Alaska inside passage.   All three glaciers Hubbard, Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm or Edicott arm.  And my favorite port.......Icy Strait.  Weather plays a big part.  It is Alaska.   What good is an observation lounge if it's raining.  Raindrops.

But if you have a balcony who cares what ship.  You will probably never leave the cabin. You see only half of the scenery.   After all it's a balcony.  You can then pay for wildlife sightings with tours.$$$$

An inside cabin forces you to explore the ship for your best viewing area.  Then the next time you cruise Alaska you consider a balcony.

There will be no announcements of wildlife.  Maybe Glacier Bay.  And if you hear of a sighting, you missed it.  It's all about the destination not the ship when it comes to Alaska.✌️

Our first Alaska cruise, with DCL, was out of Vancouver and we saw Tracy Arm Fjord.  We had a wonderful time and loved seeing Vancouver for the first time.  This time we opted to see Glacier Bay because we have read it is a must see.  Also, with the way the world is now with Covid, we prefer to stay in the US as much as possible in case of sickness and the chance of Canada closing their border, so we are sailing out of Seattle on the Encore this time. We are really looking forward to going since we had to cancel our 2020 Alaska cruise.

If it's Haven you want, the Bliss is wonderful.  If you want one of the smaller Jewel class ships, and we love them, then don't book their Haven.  It offers nothing that the suites can't give you.  I suggest on those class ships, try for a rear facing deck 10 suite.  

5 hours ago, jskinsd said:

What good is an observation lounge if it's raining.  Raindrops.

I don't understand this.  Are you suggesting that if it is raining that you can't see anything from the observation lounges?  I've been on three AK cruises with observation lounges and I don't ever remember weather affecting their enjoyment.

8 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I don't understand this.  Are you suggesting that if it is raining that you can't see anything from the observation lounges?  I've been on three AK cruises with observation lounges and I don't ever remember weather affecting their enjoyment.

I have been to Alaska many many times over the last 8 years.  Have had both excellent and not so excellent Alaskan cruises.  Weather fog, rain, ice field have affected a few of my cruises.  Just stating a possibility.  Better to be outside when experiencing Alaska.  Deck 8 on the Bliss and Joy are pretty nice.✌️

2 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Have had both excellent and not so excellent Alaskan cruises.

I absolutely love AK cruises.  I can't imagine a scenario where one would be "not so excellent."

2 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Weather fog, rain, ice field have affected a few of my cruises.  Just stating a possibility.  Better to be outside when experiencing Alaska. 

I would say yes and no.  I've been on AK cruises in May, September and October.  All of them were great.  My favorite, ironically, would likely be the one we just took on the Encore in October.  I don't remember much rain, fog and ice; but we did have some wonderful SNOW at Glacier Bay.  Some of the crew were out on the pool deck (along with me) enjoying the large flakes floating down.  I don't think some of them had ever experienced snow before.  😎  They were serving Bailey's and Jamison with hot cocoa on the bow.  Fantastic fun!

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I absolutely love AK cruises.  I can't imagine a scenario where one would be "not so excellent."

I would say yes and no.  I've been on AK cruises in May, September and October.  All of them were great.  My favorite, ironically, would likely be the one we just took on the Encore in October.  I don't remember much rain, fog and ice; but we did have some wonderful SNOW at Glacier Bay.  Some of the crew were out on the pool deck (along with me) enjoying the large flakes floating down.  I don't think some of them had ever experienced snow before.  😎  They were serving Bailey's and Jamison with hot cocoa on the bow.  Fantastic fun!

The more you cruise Alaska, the more you experience.  No snow yet but have had northern lights on two occasions.  The not so excellent was an earthquake hit and damaged all underground telephone lines and derailed the White Pass line in Skagway.  No train. No credit card transactions.  Cash only if the shops were open.  Fog so terrible for our trip into Glacier Bay that we were only able to see the face of Maggiore glacier.  No calving, no perspective, no nothing.  Some better than others.  But they were all an Alaskan cruise I enjoyed.  ✌️

• Like 1