Which Japanese Itinerary is Better?

stickey_mouse

I'm honing in on a cruise to Japan. All are 12 nights and on the same ship. I am having trouble deciding. Any thoughts on these three itineraries? Which would you select? I realize B and C are very similar, with the only difference being the days around Kyoto. Does this make any difference? Thanks in advance.

Itinerary A

Day Port Arrival Departure
Oct 14, 2022 Tokyo (yokohama) - Japan --- 7:00 p.m.
Oct 15, 2022 Mt Fuji (shimizu) - Japan 7:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.
Oct 16, 2022 Kyoto (osaka) - Japan 12:00 p.m. 11:59 p.m.
Oct 17, 2022 Kobe - Japan 8:00 a.m. ---
Oct 18, 2022 Kobe - Japan --- 6:00 p.m.
Oct 19, 2022 Hiroshima - Japan 10:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.
Oct 20, 2022 At Sea --- ---
Oct 21, 2022 Busan - South Korea 7:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Oct 22, 2022 At Sea --- ---
Oct 23, 2022 Hakodate - Japan 6:30 a.m. 8:00 p.m.
Oct 24, 2022 Aomori - Japan 7:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.
Oct 25, 2022 At Sea --- ---
Oct 26, 2022 Tokyo (yokohama) - Japan 6:30 a.m. ---

Itinerary B

Oct 26, 2022 Tokyo (yokohama) - Japan --- 7:00 p.m.
Oct 27, 2022 Mt Fuji (shimizu) - Japan 7:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.
Oct 28, 2022 Kyoto (osaka) - Japan 12:00 p.m. 11:59 p.m.
Oct 29, 2022 Kobe - Japan 8:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.
Oct 30, 2022 Kochi - Japan 7:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Oct 31, 2022 At Sea --- ---
Nov 01, 2022 Ishigaki - Japan 8:30 a.m. 5:30 p.m.
Nov 02, 2022 Okinawa - Japan 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.
Nov 03, 2022 At Sea --- ---
Nov 04, 2022 Jeju Island - South Korea 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Nov 05, 2022 Nagasaki - Japan 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Nov 06, 2022 At Sea --- ---
Nov 07, 2022 Tokyo (yokohama) - Japan 6:30 a.m. ---

Itinerary C

Nov 07, 2022 Tokyo (yokohama) - Japan --- 7:00 p.m.
Nov 08, 2022 Mt Fuji (shimizu) - Japan 7:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.
Nov 09, 2022 Kyoto (osaka) - Japan 12:00 p.m. ---
Nov 10, 2022 Kyoto (osaka) - Japan --- 6:00 p.m.
Nov 11, 2022 Kochi - Japan 7:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Nov 12, 2022 At Sea --- ---
Nov 13, 2022 Ishigaki - Japan 8:30 a.m. 5:30 p.m.
Nov 14, 2022 Okinawa - Japan 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.
Nov 15, 2022 At Sea --- ---
Nov 16, 2022 Jeju Island - South Korea 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Nov 17, 2022 Nagasaki - Japan 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Nov 18, 2022 At Sea --- ---
Nov 19, 2022 Tokyo (yokohama) - Japan 6:30 a.m. ---

I really hope you get the opportunity to visit my part of the world next year. But at this point, it is not looking very good.

This week the Japanese Government renewed the restriction on any foreigners visiting Japan for any reason. This restriction will continue in effect well into 2022.

The US Military bases in Okinawa now have more COVID Cases than all of Japan.

Additionally, with all the problems America is experiencing - and the incredibly high COVID infection and death numbers coming out of the USA - Japan is considering placing a longer ban on US Passport holders visiting Japan.

There is a rapidly increasing chance that no Americans will be allowed to visit Japan anytime in 2022.

If it does work out for you - and I really hope it does - your option A is the best choice.

We did two weeks in Joan prior to a 14 day circumnavigation and it was perfect.  Kyoto is spectacular and I would highly recommend you stay there for a few days prior or after your cruise.
So depending on what else you decide to do  would Influence my recommendations.

The other caveat is that cyclone season may impact the earlier cruises and the later ones have a better chance for fall colours. 

15 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

I really hope you get the opportunity to visit my part of the world next year. But at this point, it is not looking very good.

This week the Japanese Government renewed the restriction on any foreigners visiting Japan for any reason. This restriction will continue in effect well into 2022.

The US Military bases in Okinawa now have more COVID Cases than all of Japan.

Additionally, with all the problems America is experiencing - and the incredibly high COVID infection and death numbers coming out of the USA - Japan is considering placing a longer ban on US Passport holders visiting Japan.

There is a rapidly increasing chance that no Americans will be allowed to visit Japan anytime in 2022.

If it does work out for you - and I really hope it does - your option A is the best choice.

Thanks- I'm well aware of the struggles facing Japan right now. Please expand on why A is the best choice. 

Japan isn’t really having any struggles - other than the US Military problems.

But the people trying to visit Japan are really struggling.

Option A is superior because it lets you spend more time in Kyoto / Kobe. It also is a bit earlier in the Autumn, which will probably give you better, warmer weather. Due to the Cabotage laws, your ship must call at a non-Japanese port. Option A takes you to Busan, which is quite interesting; shopping, dining, sight-seeing.

Option B takes you to Jeju Island in South Korea. Jeju is South Korea’s version of Okinawa. Very nice, but not too much to see or do. The November timing is somewhat risky for weather.

Option C loses due to the Ishigaki and Jeju stops.

Okinawa and Ishigaki are nearly identical. They are both really beautiful semi-tropical islands with nice beaches. No need to spend 2 days for that. Jeju Island is a third semi-tropical island stop with little to see or do. The November timing is somewhat risky for weather.

Having said all that, it is looking less and less likely that you will be able to visit Japan or Korea in 2022. Hope you have a Plan B - and maybe Plan C. 

23 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

Japan isn’t really having any struggles - other than the US Military problems.

But the people trying to visit Japan are really struggling.

Option A is superior because it lets you spend more time in Kyoto / Kobe. It also is a bit earlier in the Autumn, which will probably give you better, warmer weather. Due to the Cabotage laws, your ship must call at a non-Japanese port. Option A takes you to Busan, which is quite interesting; shopping, dining, sight-seeing.

Option B takes you to Jeju Island in South Korea. Jeju is South Korea’s version of Okinawa. Very nice, but not too much to see or do. The November timing is somewhat risky for weather.

Option C loses due to the Ishigaki and Jeju stops.

Okinawa and Ishigaki are nearly identical. They are both really beautiful semi-tropical islands with nice beaches. No need to spend 2 days for that. Jeju Island is a third semi-tropical island stop with little to see or do. The November timing is somewhat risky for weather.

Having said all that, it is looking less and less likely that you will be able to visit Japan or Korea in 2022. Hope you have a Plan B - and maybe Plan C. 

Thank you. Only interested in comments about the itineraries at this time. I appreciate the feedback. 

+1 For option A for similar reasons; mainly for the extra day in the Kansai region Kyoto/Osaka/Kobe because there's so much to see overall.  Personally, we didn't find Kobe that interesting so we likely would spend the overnight port days heading to Osaka or Kyoto which is relatively quick train ride.  Ideally, the overnight would be in Osaka/Kyoto like option C  but you have one less night in the region.  

However, I haven't been to Kochi though so cannot compare if that's a fair trade-off.

IMO, Hiroshima is a slightly better trade-off than Nagasaki with the parks and memorials.

Nagasaki is comparable but more quaint IMO.  A decision between the two wouldn't be the main itinerary influencer for me. 

Busan would be a nice port of call with markets, attractions, street food, etc.  We spent two nights there and enjoyed it.

I haven't been to Jeju Island as the itineraries' trade-off counterpart.

Okinawa and northern Japan (like Hakodate and Aomori) are on our "one of our next to visits" list.  Visiting Okinawa via a cruise would be handier for us than the northern Japan stops since we'd likely fly into Tokyo and then another flight onto Okinawa.  Vs northern Japan we'd likely just get a train pass and do a circuit from Tokyo up to Hokkaido.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, and Merry Christmas. Itinerary A will be a little difficult for me, given the timing (work demands), but I'm glad to know it seems to be an overall favorite. If B or C win out, I'll try to arrange additional time in Kyoto pre or post-cruise. I'm also dying to see Tokyo Disney. 

If you do Kyoto separately I would choose option B, and visit Osaka where you dock,  it’s a very interesting city, there’s a great aquarium right at the port and Osaka castle is easy to visit.  From Kyoto,   You could also take the bullet train to Hiroshima and hopefully stay overnight so you can also visit Miyajima.   Also worth a visit is Himeji for its lovely castle and one of the top garden in Japan is nearby in Okayama on the same train line.   You will have more chance of the gorgeous fall colours at that time.  Spend time in Tokyo at the end,  you will be a little used to Japan and it may not be quite so overwhelming. 
You could fly into Kansai airport near Kyoto and home from Tokyo.  
Merry Christmas! 

Edited by bennybear

• 2 weeks later...

I would pick C for two reasons (1) The fall colors in Japan are really beautiful so later in November you can go the better and (2) this itinerary is more varied, you will miss Hiroshima & Busan, but will see Kochi (on Shikoku) and  Okinawa & Ishigaki  (which are very tropical).  

Here are two pictures from the Kyoto area in late November.

DSCN1476.JPG

DSCN1464.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, Seaworthy71 said:

Hello stickey-mouse, May I inquire what cruise line You used for Your Japan trip?

Thank You,

Suzanne

None of them, sadly, and probably won’t for a while- we ended up adopting two kiddos. Japan remains on my bucket list, though! 

Congratulations StickeyMouse on expanding your family. 

Japan is also on my bucket list and hopefully we will make it next year. I think we found a cruise that will work with our schedule. 29 days of B2B2B starting in Tokyo. Ten days around Japan, then Alaska and ending in Vancouver.  

• Like 1