Why Not Implement a REAL Vaccination Requirement?

Donoiv11

56 minutes ago, BND said:

Extremely rare apparently.  We were on a b2b on HOTS that started on 28 Nov and in those two weeks I never saw a single adult that didn't have a wrist band.  And the majority of kids were wearing them too. But, there were only about 80-90 kids on each week.  I do wonder how many exceptions there have really been.

They have been extremely careful granting those exceptions. I personally know somebody who applied for one for a 12 year old who has legit medical documented reasons for not getting the vaccine and it was denied by the medical team who review the paperwork. 

1 hour ago, AtSea2021 said:

Where are you getting that information from. I’m on the odyssey and we are up to 55 cases confirmed by the captain. Currently stuck at sea because curaçao denied us entry. Unvaccinated kids (you can tell because they don’t have a ribbon) are running around the ship without masks on. I reported this to 3 security guards and each shrugged their shoulders. 

and this is what is the most alarming.  Crew and officers who do not want to police their own ship and rules.  

I do understand why folks at this time with covid would take kids on ships.  Oh yea, parents need vacation and their alcohol and meanwhile kids get to run free.  Great just GREAT.   Glad I got one cruise in early Nov before this last variant cut loose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donoiv11 said:

I am confused as to why RC would not fully implement a vaccination requirement… at least for the time being. 

Yes, all 12 and older must be vaccinated… I get that… but what about those under 12? 

Again, I get that they don’t qualify… but it doesn’t mean that RC has to allow kids on the ship. Kids are great… I have one of my own… but if truly trying to keep the passengers - and the entire Crew - safe, why such a gaping hole? Once things normalize, bring the kids back… but for now, simply ask that they (and their families) find a different way to vacation.

Not something that would be popular with folks looking to bring their little ones along… They will certainly have a lot to say… I propose that others would benefit… and really, outside of the Holidays, who’s traveling in the early part of the year with kids anyway? What about school?

It appears the most recent positive cases on RCI ships are from members of the crew.  First and foremost, they should have the crew boosted, and then worry about the kids. 

9 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Don’t think so let the unvaccinated kids stay home.

How many kids have been the issue in these outbreaks so far?   How many vaccinated adults have been the issue?   

I’d rather be around a kid that tested negative and who’s family drove to the port than be near someone vaccinated who just flew.  Imagine you test negative on Thursday for your Saturday departure.  Then you fly on Friday and are exposed to thousands of people with vaccines having poor ability to stop infection (and improper masking everywhere).  It is this scenario that is causing Covid cases on every cruise.  

Vaccinated or not, omicron is going to Infect people between test date and departure date.   The small minority of unvaccinated passengers are not the issue.  Omicron is the issue.  Your vaccine isn’t highly effective at stopping infection.  The drug companies themselves have already said this and provided updated efficacy estimates.  It is low without a booster and less than ideal even with one.  

People worried about a small percentage of unvaccinated passengers probably shouldn’t cruise right now.  

• Like 3

Only a matter of time before the booster becomes mandatory imo. They need to limit the chance of infection / passing on as much as possible if cruising is allowed to continue. I can see the testing time period being brought in from 2 days to 1 day too.

Edited by swoopy2110
  • Like 1