Anyone on board Odyssey?

49 minutes ago, clover18 said:

We are receiving the equivalent of two days cruise fare in the form of onboard credit. They are also giving us a 50% future cruise credit on you current cabin cost. We have two cabins so we are basically getting the future credit at the value of 100% so that is nice of them. 

Sounds like people are using that OBC on speciality restaurants.

So sorry you are not enjoying yourself.  

I would strongly consider cancelling next week too.  The crew that tested positive will still be onboard next week which could definitely lead to more itinerary changes.

Maybe check-in to a hotel near port and spend a day or two at beach before flying home.

8 minutes ago, ricksurf said:

Interesting how these Covid ships are departing from Florida with high capacity and alot of unvaxxed children.  Could there be something to this, since other cruise ports in the world are having better results.

I never agreed with Royals decision to unvaxed kids. its interesting that we don't seem to be seeing these issues on Celebrity which has extremely few children and are sailing at minimum of 95% vaccinated....and they don't even require masks.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Just curious, does the Captain announce how many crew members and passengers have Covid symptoms resulting in quarantine? 

Yesterday when we were denied entry into Curacao in his announcement he reported 52 or 53 (can’t remember which) positive Covid cases among crew members and that they have been separated from other crew members. He also said there were three passengers who were positive but did not mention where those individuals are. 

5 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Thank you.  It says this is your second post, which indicates you have never posted before today.  Was just curious.  Happy sailing. 

Yeah yall are intimidating lol. My husband posts here more than I do, he discovered this community and in 2015 we had our 15th year anniversary Mediterranean cruise, met up with a bunch of people from cruise critic in person and had a blast.  This community has been a wealth of information for us and the last few days have been very challenging,  I wanted to share another perspective.   Everyone will be looking at this situation differently and that's okay, its personal and to be expected.  Just make the best decision for you and your family. 

Edited by Kitkatgrrl
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Just spoke with my TA and there is terminology that will result in refund. I got a full refund in November two weeks before sailing.  Posters came out of the woodwork to tell me I was wrong.  I was not. They said it would take 3 months.  It did not.  Refund was received approx 17 days later. 

We canceled our November cruise on Symphony of the Seas 2 weeks prior to sailing due to the itinerary changes and Covid protocols and received a full refund in 3 weeks.

11 minutes ago, chiguypaul said:

@Kitkatgrrlwhat is the atmosphere on the ship light? Is there a lot of concern and fear about spread? Have there been any service issues related to staff being quarantined? 

This is where everyone will have a different perspective so it might be good to ask others opinions. We are out more during the day and so far everyone seems cheerful. Staff is great. Food service has been a bit slow for main dining room, we noticed that since day 2 in addition to all of the shows being cancelled. But then again, we arent show people.  I told husband that I didn't know if the food wasn't as good as I remembered but he said that he'd already read that on the boards the quality of the food has declined.  Pools are very packed but as usual people get chairs and try to keep them all day. From the look of the pools nobody was worried about covid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

This is where everyone will have a different perspective so it might be good to ask others opinions. We are out more during the day and so far everyone seems cheerful. Staff is great. Food service has been a bit slow for main dining room, we noticed that since day 2 in addition to all of the shows being cancelled. But then again, we arent show people.  I told husband that I didn't know if the food wasn't as good as I remembered but he said that he'd already read that on the boards the quality of the food has declined.  Pools are very packed but as usual people get chairs and try to keep them all day. From the look of the pools nobody was worried about covid.

ALL shows canceled??

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

@Kitkatgrrl Some one who is on the cruise just posted on FB that the number is up to 60 crew members with a positive covid test and 300 crew members are in quarantine?  Is that so?   How is the service on the ship now? 

I haven't heard that. I'll let you know if the captain makes an announcement but I didn't hear anything in his last announcement.  Did they say where they got that info from?  

2 minutes ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

I haven't heard that. I'll let you know if the captain makes an announcement but I didn't hear anything in his last announcement.  Did they say where they got that info from?  

He didn't say where his info came from.  Please let us know what you find out. 

Hi all,

I am on the Odyssey right now as well. I rarely post either though I've been a member for many years and have been cruising on RC since 2004 (I was married aboard Serenade).

I'm traveling with my teenaged daughter, and while we were definitely hoping to see Curacao and Aruba, we are both quite content with extra sea days on this gorgeous ship. I think it's probably much tougher for the families with younger kids.

The mood on board is quite cheerful, and as posted above the staff is really going above and beyond during this situation. I for one plan to spend as much of my OBC as possible on crew tips.

I've seen the unfounded rumor that we are headed IMMEDIATELY back to FL, which is not true. We are headed back slowly and plan to arrive on the scheduled time and date. Captain just announced that he will try to get as a close to Haiti as possible near sunset tonight. Everyone is trying very hard.

I do think that if you're not willing to accept pretty much any itinerary outcome, this is not a good time to cruise. We plan to enjoy the sea days, sleep in, and tip the staff obnoxiously 🙂

Edited by Texxie
wrong country :-)
  • Like 16

6 minutes ago, chiguypaul said:

So the 270 show? Headliner?  Every single one of them canceled?

Sounds like sleeping , finding a safe place to eat and staying clear of everyone is the main entertainment going on right now. Not alot going on but waiting to return to port and getting off the ship safely.

Can't see this ship returning and going out on the next cruise until the crew gets much healthier and all the crew gets out of quarantine.

Edited by Jimbo

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Sounds like sleeping , finding a safe place to eat and staying clear of everyone is the main entertainment going on right now. Not a lot going on but waiting to return to port and getting off the ship safely.

Um SPA!!!  The entertainment was largely shut down earlier because the performers contracted covid. Forgot to add that to my post

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Sounds like sleeping , finding a safe place to eat and staying clear of everyone is the main entertainment going on right now. Not a lot going on but waiting to return to port and getting off the ship safely.

Showgirls and Effectors were cancelled. All other (someone correct me if I'm wrong) seem to be on. They are adding an additional TAP show tonight as well.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Texxie said:

Hi all,

I am on the Odyssey right now as well. I rarely post either though I've been a member for many years and have been cruising on RC since 2004 (I was married aboard Serenade).

I'm traveling with my teenaged daughter, and while we were definitely hoping to see Curacao and Aruba, we are both quite content with extra sea days on this gorgeous ship. I think it's probably much tougher for the families with younger kids.

The mood on board is quite cheerful, and as posted above the staff is really going above and beyond during this situation. I for one plan to spend as much of my OBC as possible on crew tips.

I've seen the unfounded rumor that we are headed IMMEDIATELY back to FL, which is not true. We are headed back slowly and plan to arrive on the scheduled time and date. Captain just announced that he will try to get as a close to Haiti as possible near sunset tonight. Everyone is trying very hard.

I do think that if you're not willing to accept pretty much any itinerary outcome, this is not a good time to cruise. We plan to enjoy the sea days, sleep in, and tip the staff obnoxiously 🙂

Thanks for the info.  Have you been tested yet?  How often are they testing passengers?  

5 minutes ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

Um SPA!!!  The entertainment was largely shut down earlier because the performers contracted covid. Forgot to add that to my post

Probably 85% of cruiser's have never stepped foot in a cruise ship's spa area. 

• Like 1

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks for the info.  Have you been tested yet?  How often are they testing passengers?  

As far as I know, they aren't testing anyone unless they want/need to be tested (well, passengers anyway, I'm sure the crew testing is ongoing).