Anyone on board Odyssey?

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

That may help weed out some positive cases.  How about the woman who got on the ship knowing she was ill?  How do you detect those people? 

I am amazed that they knew they were sick and got on board. Very selfish and inconsiderate of others.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Not even RCI knows what the risks are for that sailing. The sailing could go on as “normally” as possible.

They know they have to scramble to find extra crew and entertainment staff -- that's a given.  Or cancel a bunch of cruises.  Neither will likely happen since we are only a few days away.

2 minutes ago, chiguypaul said:

I agree with this, but it's fair to say there is more risk on this ship given staff infections. 

Only if you believe 50 staff being quarantined is less safe than the 5-10 staff on ships you never hear about. 

• Like 1

For anyone who is trusting the mask policy and other protocols before deciding whether to cruise, do not. I’m currently on the Odyssey. Every time I leave the cabin I see over a dozen people walking around maskless. Some don’t even bother carrying a drink they just walk around with masks below their chin. There has been zero enforcement except in the seaplex area. They are definitely not requiring people to be seated when eating or drinking. So if you want to go despite all that, that is fine. Just go with eyes wide open. 

• Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, AtSea2021 said:

For anyone who is trusting the mask policy and other protocols before deciding whether to cruise, do not. I’m currently on the Odyssey. Every time I leave the cabin I see over a dozen people walking around maskless. Some don’t even bother carrying a drink they just walk around with masks below their chin. There has been zero enforcement except in the seaplex area. They are definitely not requiring people to be seated when eating or drinking. So if you want to go despite all that, that is fine. Just go with eyes wide open. 

Has there been an update on the number of cases onboard?  First reports coming out had mostly crew members infected, but now on FB looks like the passenger count is much higher.  Any recent announcements?

6 minutes ago, pbxtech said:

I am amazed that they knew they were sick and got on board. Very selfish and inconsiderate of others.

Exactly this!  Especially in the age of a global pandemic!  It’s not like the olden days of 3 years ago, when you just “had the sniffles, probably allergies”.

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

…Some more passengers may be positive now and spreading it around the ship as we speak.

This can happen anywhere in your daily lives.

4 hours ago, jonj said:

Wonder if testing at the port instead of testing in advance for vax passengers would help? I know Disney tests at the port and only pre-testing is for unvax children age 4 and younger. Not a debate just a thought, testing 2-3 days in advance may show negative and then at the port may be positive wether asymptomatic or not. 

Testing before hand has stopped people from getting on a plane and possibly infecting others. If they didn’t test before flying to the ship then they would waste their time and money. It’s better to know before leaving home. What would actually be better is to have both testing before hand and at the port even though people won’t like that. It would weed out more positive people and stop selfish people such as the lady that had symptoms.

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

That may help weed out some positive cases.  How about the woman who got on the ship knowing she was ill?  How do you detect those people? 

Do testing also at the port.

3 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

My guess is the cheapest hotel in town will be housing those crew members for the next cruise if they are not outside their 10 days of quarantine.  Those that will be considered "covid free" by the time they make it back to Curacao will stay on board.  Just a guess that may make it eligible to disembark at the islands next time around.

I would think they would leave them on the ship. They can control their movements better. If at a hotel they might leave their room.🤷🏼‍♀️ Also, they have a dr right there on board to do more testing on them or what ever else they need. It makes it much easier.

25 minutes ago, gracia98 said:

Because there are cancelled shows, windjammer is packed, crew shortages and we paid a premium to go on this cruise.  

I would make a list of the pros and cons. Are you flying back home? Would the ticket price be jacked up because it would be last minute booking? Can you get a flight right away or find a hotel that you like? Are there things you would like to do in the port area if you don’t fly back right away? Are there things you would like to do at home for Christmas or NYE or be just as happy at home than being on the ship? Lots of things to consider before making that decision. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

All of that can happen on any ship at any time during a pandemic - you shouldn’t book in the first place. 

Why not book? Those things can happen at home also and if booked they can at least make that decision before the cruise. If not already booked then I’m sure there won’t be any last minute booking to go if they wanted to.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AtSea2021 said:

Were there any announced increase counts of passengers or crew infected you can share?

52 minutes ago, chiguypaul said:

Were there any announced increase counts of passengers or crew infected you can share?

They have not given an update yet.   Typically they have provided an update around dinner, once a day. They are trying to keep passengers minds off it so they aren't making updates around the ship prominently.  I would be surprised if they gave us an update in numbers today quite frankly. 

• Thanks 1

They should do covid testing prior to boarding. Very stressful yes, but probably necessary. However I have been told repeatedly by my doctor that I needed to have covid in my body for at least 4 to 5 days and have symptoms before it shows up on a test. So solve that problem.  

Im going to go enjoy what's left of my extremely long sea voyage now and hope that the info we have been able to share helped with your decisions. Just went for a walk on the ship. The entire top deck was full of people sunbathing.  Ate pizza with my son, played trivia with my kids and did not win a hat, failed miserably at the Disney trivia.  Tonight we are off to an amazing dinner at Wonderland.    We have another trip booked next year for Alaska and I hope to God we are done with Covid by then. If not, I guess I'll see you again in 6 months in another thread. 

Everything will be fine. Happy holidays.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Ps.  I argued with my husband about getting my kids wifi for this trip.  Straight out argued for days.  

Best thing we ever did. We are streaming all of our shows on hbomax and Netflix in our rooms.  Kids are having a blast. Totally worth the money.   Don't tell my kids I said that. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

Im going to go enjoy what's left of my extremely long sea voyage now and hope that the info we have been able to share helped with your decisions.  

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, and thanks for providing first hand info.

Happy Holidays!

17 minutes ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

Ps.  I argued with my husband about getting my kids wifi for this trip.  Straight out argued for days.  

Best thing we ever did. We are streaming all of our shows on hbomax and Netflix in our rooms.  Kids are having a blast. Totally worth the money.   Don't tell my kids I said that. 

Are you streaming and seeing the shows on your laptop/iphone etc, or can you somehow stream it to the TV>? Just wondering what's the best way to do it. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

Im going to go enjoy what's left of my extremely long sea voyage now and hope that the info we have been able to share helped with your decisions.

You will be ready now to do  Transatlantic Voyage after this. How are your sea legs?

1 minute ago, seapad said:

Are you streaming and seeing the shows on your laptop/iphone etc, or can you somehow stream it to the TV>? Just wondering what's the best way to do it. Thanks.

Okay so I had this amazing plan and drove my entire family crazy in the planning for it. Wifi was completely upgraded to the point where I'm using my phone to cast to the TV to stream my shows. I'm sure you can do that with your tablet too. I also made my husband bring his HDMI cable that attaches to the laptop where I had downloaded shows so we could hook up to the TV and watch that way....well..laptop is sitting in the closet as we didn't have to use it.  So as usual I overprepared.  I'm streaming shows from my phone to the tv 

3 minutes ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

Okay so I had this amazing plan and drove my entire family crazy in the planning for it. Wifi was completely upgraded to the point where I'm using my phone to cast to the TV to stream my shows. I'm sure you can do that with your tablet too. I also made my husband bring his HDMI cable that attaches to the laptop where I had downloaded shows so we could hook up to the TV and watch that way....well..laptop is sitting in the closet as we didn't have to use it.  So as usual I overprepared.  I'm streaming shows from my phone to the tv 

Great to hear this. However, I have tried this out before in RCL and it did not work for me, and maybe that's because I wasn't doing it correctly. 

In order to stream it to TV, do you chromecast it up, or don't you need to plug in a chromecast device to the TV? I don't know if there's a USB on the TV, and we also have problem in switching the TV to the USB outlet....hope I'm making sense. Would love to hear how you did this. I'm sure this would help a lot of folks out there too 🙂 

Thanks so much! 

• Like 1