Airline changed arrival time into FLL, How late is too late?

edgeman61

I'll echo others who say don't wait - call the airline ASAP and deal with the hold times.  Before you call, check the schedules so that you know what will work for you.  A few years ago a gentleman who was planned our Meet & Greet was delayed getting into FLL.  He arrived at the port at 3:35 and was not allowed to board.  He was very angry at Princess, especially after all of the effort and planning he put into his vacation.  But the rules are the rules and the lesson is if you have to arrive the same day as the cruise, choose flights that arrive as early in the day as possible.  Good luck to you!

Again, depending on the airline - this should be very straightforward and likely does not even require a phone call. My experiences with Delta - this is very easy and can be done through the website:

image.thumb.png.327d5dae9b45a7de854df91fe8b2ec80.png

There's a simple "Modify Flight" button, where you can select an alternate flight/routing.

Edited by dv70

The Enchanted generally sails at 4pm (we recently completed 2 cruises on the ship) so arriving at the port much later then 2:30 could well mean a no-go for the passengers.  Many of us here on CC have warned (for years) that it is very risky to fly into a port on the day of a cruise and this is even more true these days with the airlines constantly changing and cancelling flights.   The airlines are generally pretty cooperative with this kind of situation so if we were in the position of the OP we would be on the phone to the airline seeking an earlier flight or, if that is not possible, changing to a flight on the day prior to the cruise.   I also noticed that the OP shows Dallas as their home area and if we are talking about a winter cruise one needs to consider that DFW does always have some risk of an ice storm which can cause lots of delays or even closure of the airport.

Hank

23 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

We were recently notified by the Airline that our flight which was supposed to arrive in FLL (Fort Lauderdale) at 10:45A is now due to arrive at 2:45P for a same day departure on the Enchanted Princess.

Assuming we actually arrive at the scheduled time, it will probably take 1-1.5 hours at the baggage claim and say another ~1 hour in the taxi queue + travel to the port.

This would put our arrival at the port pretty close to 5:00P.  I know that the ship requires all passengers to be onboard 1.5 hours prior to sailing.

I have not been able to find any info regarding Princesses sailing time.  Five o-clock sounds too late to me, is it?

I think I will need to push back on the Airline.

Thanks for any comments.

Look at your itinerary on Princess website or travel summary…

usually the sail time is 4pm from

FLL.

You’ve been given excellent advise

on this posting.

Let us know if you have any other

questions.

14 minutes ago, dv70 said:

Again, depending on the airline - this should be very straightforward and likely does not even require a phone call. My experiences with Delta - this is very easy and can be done through the website:

image.thumb.png.327d5dae9b45a7de854df91fe8b2ec80.png

There's a simple "Modify Flight" button, where you can select an alternate flight/routing.

Yes, that’s why I asked which airline?

DL works great, unless it’s miles/award travel.  It got a little confused about the

recredit of miles, but I called and they fixed it.

I believe FAA rules require an airline to offer a refund, or a change at no additional cost, if there is a flight schedule of more than 2 hours. I had to cancel a trip to the UK last year, for obvious (covid) reasons. I had a lot of trouble getting Expedia to give a refund. However, my return flight had not only changed by 2 hours, but my airport changed from LGW to LHR. I got my refund.

What time is your sail away? My experience from several cruises out of that port, and in fact ALL of my cruises, is that you leave port about 4-430. NEVER fly in day of the cruise. Anything can happen. Find a reasonable hotel and go in the day before. 

And to drive home the point, call the airline NOW. You are seeing what is going on with holiday travel at the moment. March is spring break season in Florida; planes will be full. Please, please, ask them to fly you in the day before and get a hotel for the night. Do that now. Book a room NOW. Best of luck to you. 

Edited by kimlovesfl

The change of almost four hours is significant.  Airlines have an obligation to work with you for significant changes.  My guess is the earlier flight was canceled/eliminated.  You stated that the flight is already a rebooked trip from a previous credit. That may require a phone call. And you should do it now. 

You may need to arrive a day earlier, if you can, which as others have noted, is a good idea. Good luck!  

Also agree it is a good idea to secure a hotel room now as well.  One you can cancel.

Edited by milolii