Christmas Dinner Made Today When Not On Board.....

BklynBoy8

I know all of us are home with our loved ones gathered the table to enjoy the Holiday Feast when sailing on which ship we call our favorite.

But when we are home during the holidays I know we have certain dishes we like to make for certain holidays. Todays menu was for Christmas Day.

I would like this dish on board but enjoy making it also at home. Today's tradition for Christmas is Prime Rib w Flavorful Gravy using Foster's Ale.

Came out great! What is your favorite dish(es) you would like to make for Christmas Day... 

269962854_10228349428265010_1626030407356201769_n.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations on your culinary triumph BB!  It looks tantalizingly delicious.  I also cooked roast beef…a strip loin roast and it was a great success.

A very Merry Christmas to all of you Cruise Foodies out there.  I hope everyone had an enjoyable and peaceful Christmas.  Let’s hope for a much better 2022.  Things aren’t looking that good for cruising right at this moment.

• Thanks 2

We did a baked ham, scalloped potatoes, corn pudding, Brussels sprouts, and Bourbon pecan pie.  All were delicious.

On ships at Christmas time I have usually ordered the turkey.  However, on a Fred. Olsen cruise at Christmas I had gammon (ham).  That dinner included the traditional "crackers" with paper crowns, etc., which we enjoyed, but which the other Americans at our table brushed aside.  I guess it helps to have a British SiL, and the experience of two Christmas dinners with families in London.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Congratulations on your culinary triumph BB!  It looks tantalizingly delicious.  I also cooked roast beef…a strip loin roast and it was a great success.

CGT,

Congratulations too!

The kitchen is my All Time Playground... Silly as can be, if I could get the chance to cook in the kitchen on the QM2, I think I would impress the Chefs. My father was a Chef and taught me well.

I find everytime I am on board or even in a regular restaurant, I find it a learning experience. As a teen, my parents wanted to send me to the Culinary Institute of America and could have had a position in The Plaza in NYC..... Oh well.....

• Haha 1

2021 Christmas Day dinner for me was a Sirloin Steak, Baked Potato, and a Cranberry Salad.  Dessert was Red Velvet Cake.  The wine of the day was Villa Maria, my favorite New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  

Earlier in the day, I enjoyed a couple of glasses of Egg Nog made by C. F. Burger Creamery.  I discovered this product at my community's upscale grocer.  It was the best commercially made Egg Nog that I have ever drunk.  First, I tried it plain.  Delicious!  Then, I spiked it with a double CC.  Good, but, a single dose of CC would be better, I think.  Still have part of a quart and I will try that tomorrow.  

Being ashore this holiday season, I have been reading my journals and reviewing my photos of my Christmas/New Year's cruises of the past.  Paying attention to what I ordered during Christmas Eve/Day dinners, there is consistency.

Prime Rib with Yorkshire Pudding, Roast Turkey, Beef Tenderloin/Lobster, or just Lobster is what appears.  Once--and only once--I ordered Roasted Goose.  Oh my, was that a major boo-boo for my gastric system.  Was it the Goose and/or how it was prepared?  Was it too greasy?  Or was it my digestive system?  Whatever!  It was a Christmas Eve's dinner that ended up being a gastronomically disaster for me.  If Santa had any plans on "visiting me" on that Christmas Eve, it took many hours after dinner for me to get to sleep.  

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 6:05 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT,

Congratulations too!

The kitchen is my All Time Playground... Silly as can be, if I could get the chance to cook in the kitchen on the QM2, I think I would impress the Chefs. My father was a Chef and taught me well.

I find everytime I am on board or even in a regular restaurant, I find it a learning experience. As a teen, my parents wanted to send me to the Culinary Institute of America and could have had a position in The Plaza in NYC..... Oh well.....

Cooking professionally for a living is really tough.  I could only do it for 2 or 3 years at a stretch.  I used my culinary skills to relax me even though I was in real estate all my life. I like to think of it as practicing my art.  Even when I was in real estate full time I would manage to cook dinners for large fraternal groups.  I could never quit the kitchen for long.  It’s been a lifelong obsession.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Cooking professionally for a living is really tough.  I could only do it for 2 or 3 years at a stretch.  I used my culinary skills to relax me even though I was in real estate all my life. I like to think of it as practicing my art.  Even when I was in real estate full time I would manage to cook dinners for large fraternal groups.  I could never quit the kitchen for long.  It’s been a lifelong obsession.  

Forgot share it with you but each time no matter how many times I sail, a trip in to the Galley for the tour. Love it and also to talk to the Chefs on the Line.

Christmas Dinner was great especially when you a lot of below to share as leftovers.

FB_IMG_1640534279326.jpg

• Like 1