New Orleans PCR testing

GoldenGirl327

Ahoy fellow NCL cruisers!

We will be sailing out of New Orleans on 1/23/22 (yay!)!! This is our first time sailing out of this port. We’re flying in on Friday to spend the weekend so we will need to get our PCR test on Friday after we arrive. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to get tested with at least a 24 hour turnaround? I went on NCL and it took me to a site testtotravel.com but the sites say results in 72 hours - I’m sure results could be in sooner but I don’t want to risk it. 

thanks everyone!

Happy sailing!

Rebecca

Can't help with a testing location but testing is recommended, not required for your cruise.  You only need to pre-test if you want NCL to help you out should you test positive at the port. I believe the pre-cruise timeline is 96 hours, so you should be able to test at home before you leave.

Your BA sailing's roll call might be a good point to look for mutual aid info on where & how ... here's the link (typical, not too active but not uncommon to see a last minute "surge" in the days leading up to embarkation for folks to "check-in" and join) - good way to keep up with any late-breaking development, amended changes by NCL for testing, etc. based on the possible precautions & warnings being set off by this winter's Omicorn & Delta variants. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2779592-breakaway-new-orleans-january-23-2022/page/3/

Assumed that you've looked up "nearby" Walgreen and/or CVS (and equivalent) & urgent care locations in N.O.  The Gulf Coast departure sub-forums, it appeared, might have useful info as others too, asked about it - local knowledge can be very useful. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

Here's a previous thread asking the same question - 

also note that it was moved to that forum section, I presume this one will be also as it's specifically about that departure port

Edited by hallux

22 hours ago, b94race said:

Thank you! I did reread (again and again) the testing requirements. I could’ve sworn it said you had to test 2 days before but glad to see it’s only recommended. I’ll also check the roll call - didn’t think about that.

Thanks again!

you are correct.  originally NCL was to stop testing at the pier on the 17th and you had to test 2 days before, but they have since extended testing at the pier, until at least the 31st now.  So now you only need the "recommended" not required test 96hrs before (PCR or antigen) if you want quarantine assistance if you test positive at the pier.

(1) Testing at the pier will continue for awhile.

(2) The time I was in New Oreans ( a number of years ago), there was a CVS a couple of blocks from the Sheraton on Canal Street.

Enjoy your cruise   Cruise out of New Orleans is a unique experience.  To begin with, your ship will make a u-turn as She inches out from the pier turning to go down river to the Gulf of Mexico.  The journey will take several hours.  Very interesting journey.  Lots of active along the River banks to see.