Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

28 minutes ago, sundaycreek said:

Exactly how we feel ~ we are SKIng…..Spending the Kids Inheritance and we couldn’t be happier!

This quote has always stuck with me - “If you don’t go first class, your grandkids certainly will.”

Words to live by!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PasadenaDave said:

I’m not an RV’r, but a high grade park at weekly rates would be $600/week? Or about $10,000 for four months and say $2 per mile to operate RV?  6,000 miles is $12,000.  Food including nice meals out $1,500 per month is $6,000.  This is about $30,000 for food, transportation and lodging not including original purchase of RV.

This is a pure wild a$$ guess.  I know Andy does RV life sometimes and can confirm, and refine.

Many people who traveled during work years also planned well for retirement.  We also find that the non-travel time of retirement is very inexpensive and that retirement income is higher than anticipated due to in hindsight excessive saving.  So you decide to spend $100,000 for a four month cruise once every 3-5 years.  Value for your experience I say.

We are not the type that want to be away for four months, but that is us.  I appreciate those who do these trips and take us along via blog

For quality RV Parks we can expect to spend $75 - $100 per night. Most of them will provide 7 nights for the cost of 6, if staying a week. $2 per mile is probably fairly close, when considering the fuel cost and repacking wheel bearings ev 15,000 mls, replace tires every 5-7 yrs, servicing disc brakes and truck maintenance, which for a diesel isn't cheap.

Also factor a comfortable 5th wheel at about $150K+ and an F-450 at $100K +

To put it into perspective, a 4-month WC on Viking Neptune for both of us costs about the same as my new truck. 

RV'ing is no longer a cheap holiday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

We are not the type that want to be away for four months

Yes...same here. If I'm on a ship (or pretty much any vacation for that matter) for 3 weeks - maybe a month maximum, I'm more than ready to get back home. Depends on one's level of commitment at home. With pets, a huge plant hobby (more like addiction I suppose), large property and such to take care of, it's just not practical for me. Plus even though retired from public school teaching I'm employed as a church organist - so I don't think my job would stil be waiting for me after telling them I'm taking off for 4 months!!!  I know that after even a 2-week trip - if we do lots of sightseeing, it takes me a good while after to really absorb everything we saw. I can't imagine my brain trying to cope with visiting all those ports but, hey, that's why they make vanilla and chocolate. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RlyLvn said:

Thank you so much for your blog. We haven’t sailed with Viking. Have done 40 cruises. After following your blog I am researching my next cruise with Viking. 

Much appreciated!

Agree totally - it looks wonderful.

Just a question though to those on the ship now - what are the Viking beds like? My bed at home is very comfy so this is very important for me.

Thanks in adv, Rose

32 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Just a question though to those on the ship now - what are the Viking beds like? My bed at home is very comfy so this is very important for me.

Thanks in adv, Rose

For us, a little hard. We told our cabin steward and he added a foam topper and cushion layer. Now, it's great.

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Totally agree. We gave up economy flights, hostels, budget motels and fast food joints many years ago. In retirement, we expect a bit more comfort and quality, and are prepared to pay, which is why Viking is a good fit for us.

Well said!!!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yes...same here. If I'm on a ship (or pretty much any vacation for that matter) for 3 weeks - maybe a month maximum, I'm more than ready to get back home. Depends on one's level of commitment at home. With pets, a huge plant hobby (more like addiction I suppose), large property and such to take care of, it's just not practical for me. Plus even though retired from public school teaching I'm employed as a church organist - so I don't think my job would stil be waiting for me after telling them I'm taking off for 4 months!!!  I know that after even a 2-week trip - if we do lots of sightseeing, it takes me a good while after to really absorb everything we saw. I can't imagine my brain trying to cope with visiting all those ports but, hey, that's why they make vanilla and chocolate. 

Totally agree with your comments. That is sadly why my wife and I will probably never take a WC. However, we are enjoying reading the experiences of these cruisers as they sail through their WC.

11 hours ago, RlyLvn said:

Thank you so much for your blog. We haven’t sailed with Viking. Have done 40 cruises. After following your blog I am researching my next cruise with Viking. 

Much appreciated!

Just an FYI, while the service, food quality and enrichment are standard, many of the special dinners (tomahawk steaks for example) you are reading about on the blog are not typically offered on non-world cruises. Some of the special events (brunch) are offered on longer (transatlantic) cruises and there are usually some special events at the World Cafe, but it’s not a daily event as it seems to be on this world cruise. 

If you haven’t already, I’d suggest you peruse this thread as you do your research:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 39 - Sea Day - Whoa..., Cronuts, and Chinese New Year

I have been enjoying reading the blog. Gary and I will be joining the ship for the Homelands portion on May 11.  Hope to meet you then!

Diane

16 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Thanks in adv, Rose

My wife got a topper for her side as she wanted it softer and is happy with the result. I like it firm on my side so go as us and love the bed and the clean sheets!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 40/152 - We're in Valparaiso, and I don't mean Indiana

I’m absolutely loving your ‘updates’, thank you for taking the time to post. Your posts are keeping me somewhat sane in these crazy times!

Being in Australia & having no idea when we will see another cruise ship here or be comfortable to be able to leave our shores to join a cruise ship, your blog is a very welcome distraction! 😀

We have not cruised on Viking but I’m certainly loving what I’m seeing. We have cruised many times on Princess & around 4 on Celebrity, Viking looks wonderful.

Stay safe & well, and thanks again.

Vicki. 😀

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just an FYI, while the service, food quality and enrichment are standard, many of the special dinners (tomahawk steaks for example) you are reading about on the blog are not typically offered on non-world cruises. Some of the special events (brunch) are offered on longer (transatlantic) cruises and there are usually some special events at the World Cafe, but it’s not a daily event as it seems to be on this world cruise. 

If you haven’t already, I’d suggest you peruse this thread as you do your research:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

I soo appreciate your response.  I was feeling like we didn't get a lot of the food choices from what the WC's were posting.  As it is, we certainly didn't get the usual food and service on the Sea this November as compared to other posters on "regular" cruises. Certainly food was not offered on the Sea like what I've seen posted here on some of the Orion cruises.  Viking has reached out to me on this subject and seemed to appreciate what DH and I had experienced on the Sea.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:28 PM, OnTheJourney said:

I would LOVE to do a World Cruise but can't give up my dogs or leave them for that long.  They are our joy when not traveling.  And there is the property and our trails...the grass and vines would cover them in no time.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

After following the World Cruises and hearing about the brunches, chocolate displays and special meals I was disappointed to have nothing like that on the Viking cruises we took.  Even when we had 8 sea days in SA in 2020 and 6 sea days in a row on a transatlantic last year, we had no such special events.  The food was always excellent and there were theme meals - Greek, Mexican, Caribbean - which were fun so not complaining.

40 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

After following the World Cruises and hearing about the brunches, chocolate displays and special meals I was disappointed to have nothing like that on the Viking cruises we took.  Even when we had 8 sea days in SA in 2020 and 6 sea days in a row on a transatlantic last year, we had no such special events.  The food was always excellent and there were theme meals - Greek, Mexican, Caribbean - which were fun so not complaining.

Just to fill in our experiences. We have had brunches twice. One was on the transatlantic and was held in the pool area, the other was our Asian Discovery cruise and was held throughout the pool as well as the Wintergarden.  I posted about one on my blog if you want to see pictures:

https://cruisinwithclay.wordpress.com/2019/04/07/brunch/

We have had chocolate buffets at least twice on our 5 Viking cruises.  Pictures are posted below. 

On the Asian cruise, they used the pool deck one evening for a “Street Food” festival. Lots of stations (like at a wedding reception) each serving a different small bite. 

On one cruise they had a fish and shrimp extravaganza again on the pool deck.  Mike and I both remember they were serving several dishes but we chowed down on grilled fish and grilled shrimp tacos. 

We also experienced an “American BBQ” night on the pool deck. This was probably the least successful in our memory. 

As I mentioned previously, there have been a number of theme nights in the World Cafe that usually involved a temporary cooking station being set up on the Aquavit Terrace serving a special dish. 

Between the special events and our favorite dishes (can you say chilled green pea soup), we often have trouble deciding where to eat…or have to make our own “progressive” dinner.  Appetizers one place and entree at another!

3D2A7DA3-818B-44FF-8800-5A3B574CCBF1.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

I would LOVE to do a World Cruise but can't give up my dogs or leave them for that long.  They are our joy when not traveling.  And there is the property and our trails...the grass and vines would cover them in no time.  

I understand how you feel! We adore our three cats and always look forward to seeing them when we return from a trip. We could never, ever leave them for four months at a time.

As to food presentations on WCs: By my calculation, each of these cruises represents upwards of $25 million in revenue for Viking assuming 500 passengers per cruise and a $50K price per passenger (both estimates probably low). That's some serious coin. Money like that can buy a lot of chocolate displays. Perhaps shorter cruises are at the bottom of the food chain (pun intended) so they don't receive the special treatment that WCs receive.

Edited by SJD117