Brazil now off the menu

goletans

I just saw this post on Silversea. This does not bode well for our South America O cruise in February.

Brazil now off the menu for the South America circumnavigation now as well as Peru.

Cruise is now decimated but still going ahead missing out Peru and Brazil. Decreasing in length but with extra Caribbean stops instead. Now ends on 11 March vice 18 March

Not showing on the SS website yet.

Your Grand Voyage South America journey aboard Silver Moon is fast approaching, and we are all eager to welcome you aboard in Ft. Lauderdale on 3 January 2022.We are writing today with an important update regarding your itinerary. Regrettably, despite expectations, we have been advised that Brazil will not be open for cruise ships by the time of our planned visits in mid-February. Accordingly, we have had to cancel all Brazilian ports of call, as well as visits to Ile Royale, French Guiana and St. George’s, Grenada. Due to operational considerations impacted by these changes, our Grand Voyage will now conclude in Ft. Lauderdale on 11 March, versus 18 March.In lieu of our initial calls in Brazil and the exploration of the Amazon River, our journey will now include:• A 10-day sea voyage during which you may indulge in Silver Moon’s onboard entertainment, enrichment, and amenities, including immersive experiences in our S.A.L.T. Lab showcasing the flavours of South America, along with S.A.L.T. Talks in the Venetian Lounge.• A more extensive exploration of the Caribbean featuring:Overnight stays in iconic destinations including St. John’s, Antigua, and Barbuda; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Bridgetown, Barbados.An in-depth navigation of the Netherlands Antilles including new visits to Kralendijk, Bonaire, and Willemstad, Curacao, as well as a call in Oranjestad, Aruba. Together, the ABC Islands as they are affectionately known present ample opportunities to explore their natural beauty, rich heritage, and amazing cuisine.Also new are visits to Gustavia, St. Barthelemy, among the most glamorous of all the Caribbean isles; and St. Thomas, USVI, known for its history and beautiful beaches.Please note, all shore excursion reservations impacted by these itinerary changes will be cancelled or rescheduled by our team in the coming days. Please visit your My Silversea account to review shore excursions available in Kralendijk, Willemstad, Oranjestad, Gustavia, and St. Thomas.We sincerely apologize for the disappointment these necessary changes may bring, and we appreciate your understanding as we navigate the circumstances caused by the ongoing global situation. Your safety, comfort, and satisfaction remain our top priority.
  • Like 1

@goletans pasted this on several Marina roll calls.  In the interest of simplicity, perhaps we can consolidate the impact of Oceania and information (or lack thereof) on this thread?  Mods?

I talked to 2 O reservation agents just before 7pm ET closing time Monday 27Dec, and neither claimed to have heard anything from a traveler  or received any notice from the company.

First question: where is the source of the information that this is an official announcement of the Brazil government?  ie: Let’s not confuse the O situation with Silverseas info.

Second question - if you are on other segments now what?  There are at least three segments that contain Brazil, all starting with the 28Jan2022 Marina rotation

Edited by Jockocruiser

5 hours ago, Jockocruiser said:

@goletans pasted this on several Marina roll calls.  In the interest of simplicity, perhaps we can consolidate the impact of Oceania and information (or lack thereof) on this thread?  Mods?

I talked to 2 O reservation agents just before 7pm ET closing time Monday 27Dec, and neither claimed to have heard anything from a traveler  or received any notice from the company.

First question: where is the source of the information that this is an official announcement of the Brazil government?  ie: Let’s not confuse the O situation with Silverseas info.

Second question - if you are on other segments now what?  There are at least three segments that contain Brazil, all starting with the 28Jan2022 Marina rotation

Consolidating here is fine - makes life easier. In past years we only followed our roll calls so would not get news on this Oceania board, but posting on the affected roll calls that information is here is really helpful Thank you! 

We don't see anything new nor official from Brazil regarding cruisers. We don't see that Silversea has given any official details to their clients either. We made our final payment last week so we still hope this cruise will be a go. If not, we have the 2023 cruise in our back pocket. 

Thought I would "butt in" with some info that might convince some doubters.  A Silversea Grand Cruise passenger posted the following link to their revised itinerary:

SA2110134030_SOUTH_AMERICA_GRAND_VOYAGE_FLYER_2022_GBL-RevisedITINERARY4.pdf

As you can see, both Brazil and Peru have been entirely eliminated from their itinerary and replaced with lots of sea days.  Our own experience with "O" on the 12/1 cruise taught us that "O" seems to be OK with waiting to the last minute (in our case it was about 3 weeks prior to embarkation) to tell us of major changes.    I was also curious about Brazil and have not been able to find anything official from their own government.  But that is too surprising to folks that are familiar with the working or their authorities.  It is easy to be sympathetic to the cruise lines trying to deal with that country.

Hank

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Thought I would "butt in" with some info that might convince some doubters.  A Silversea Grand Cruise passenger posted the following link to their revised itinerary:

SA2110134030_SOUTH_AMERICA_GRAND_VOYAGE_FLYER_2022_GBL-RevisedITINERARY4.pdf

As you can see, both Brazil and Peru have been entirely eliminated from their itinerary and replaced with lots of sea days.  Our own experience with "O" on the 12/1 cruise taught us that "O" seems to be OK with waiting to the last minute (in our case it was about 3 weeks prior to embarkation) to tell us of major changes.    I was also curious about Brazil and have not been able to find anything official from their own government.  But that is too surprising to folks that are familiar with the working or their authorities.  It is easy to be sympathetic to the cruise lines trying to deal with that country.

Hank

Sorry for all the typos.  My point was that Brazil's government can frustrate even the most patient folks.  Pity any cruise line trying to work with that bureaucracy and get a firm decision.  That being said it is a country we have found very interesting to visit.

Hank

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Sorry for all the typos.  My point was that Brazil's government can frustrate even the most patient folks.  Pity any cruise line trying to work with that bureaucracy and get a firm decision.  That being said it is a country we have found very interesting to visit.

Hank

Equally frustrating: file doesn’t open!  
Can you edit for valid url or attach as pdf document?

If you look at trying to book that cruise, you will see that there are no available cabins.  Cabins are listed as waitlisted.  Yesterday there were lots of availability and today there is none. This also has happened to other cruises scheduled to sail in January and February.   What does this mean?   During the pandemic, when a cruise became completely “waitlisted”, it was eventually cancelled.  Now, not sure where we are heading.  

• Thanks 1

We are scheduled for the 33 day journey from BA to Miami beginning Feb. 14 and made final payment in 3 weeks ago.  Before the final payment I would check to see about any potential changes in pricing or availability but hadn't looked since then until reading this thread and the news about the Silversea sailing.  Verified as mentioned that now everything is showing as "waitlisted" which is not looking good.  This is/was to be our very first Oceania sailing that I've been looking forward to trying for a few years so I have no experience in how they've been doing things in this COVID crazy world.  We've had over a dozen Azamara, Celebrity, and Princess cruises canceled on us during this time since last sailing in May 2019 so am pretty well versed in their policies. 

Since we've already made final payment, how does Oceania handle the cancellations?  Full refunds, apply to future cruises, etc.?  I'm really not interested in paying this kind of money to enjoy some kind of glorified Caribbean cruise since there's very few ports we haven't already been to there.  TIA

Craig

Oceania holds all the cards and your money. They can change the itinerary at anytime.  On many cruises, ports have been changed or skipped.  In March 2020,  we skipped all but 2 ports. Those stops were short.  Disappointed?  Yes.  We didn’t sign on for a ship sailing in circles.  However, as life changes during the pandemic, you should expect changes. 

• Like 1

Note I just got from Bob Binder Oceania CEO transferring to corporate NCL re reducing wait list openings….

All Oceania sailing through the end of February are waitlist only so we can manage the flow of bookings, maintain a safe occupancy and efficiently handle the health and safety protocols as we prepare the final manifests.  This is similar to Royal Caribbean.

Please also keep in mind that changes are possible as the local ports review their requirements.

Take care

Bob

I think cruise ports are a moving target these days 

while those  cruising  will have to adapt or be miserable 

Due to the  restrictions still in place & probably more to come  we have put off any thoughts of cruising  in 2022

Good luck to those that choose to cruise 

JMO

Jocks,

I fully understand your frustration…but having been a CEO myself having to make difficult decisions without complete information I can also emphasize with Oceania trying to “navigate” in constantly changing waters. Life is short and I am just glad to be back sailing even if I have to live with uncertainty. Best of luck to all of us who have had our lives put on old for the past two years…I suspect we will all be living in this increased uncertainty for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got back from a business trip to Brazil, and this was on the Brazilian US Embassy's website:

• Travel by sea exclusively along the Brazilian coast is authorized; however, sea entry from other countries remains prohibited, with limited exceptions described in the December 8 Brazilian government announcement. 

COVID-19 Information - U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Brazil (usembassy.gov)

15 hours ago, Jockocruiser said:

What alternative can Oceania do for the 14Feb departure that starts in BA and ends in Rio?  That segment is two days Uruguay, the rest Brazil, with flights departing from Rio!

Cue Don Henley and  “Hotel California

Brazil can allow exceptions . With the large number of Brazilian ports for this cruise some remote it is possible that the cruise generates enough revenue for governments to allow it .. Silverseas had only 3-4 stops in Brazil . 

Rio is a turn port so lots of logistical issues if ship can not dock in Rio . 

Options are many  Lots of Caribbean and Mexican Ports .

Could do partial Canal . Possibly but unlikely Cuba ( due to US restrictions)  Could head up to Bermuda . Could reverse course and go back along west Coast of South America and more stops in Central America  and Mexico Options . Probably unlikely as the toll for PC crossing is pretty steep . Could hit 3-4 US ports Galveston , New Orleans Mobile . Jacksonville , Savanah and possibly Charleston .

The ship is already deep in SA and Oceania 

will need to get the ship back to Miami for subsequent cruises snd they do not want the ship sitting empty in Miami 

As I said the other day they will not disclose Plan B before they are ready or forced to implement it 

Bookings likely shut off for many cruises today after CDC announcement . All cruise are sailing at significantly less than 100% 

Our options are sit tight and or cancel 

As we live in Midwest and expect snow and sub zero temps this weekend we are off to Puerto Vallerta next week and then to Buenos Aires on Feb 9 . As both places will be warm 

So we keep hoping the itinerary will hold if not Plan B is still better than staying home 

@dive4pam Has an update re Brazil:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2760704-marina-february-26-2022-astounding-amazon/?do=findComment&comment=62395256

So those who are on the 28Jan departure from Chile that includes the 14Feb segment from BA to Rio, the BA segment to RIO (or beyond) or the full 50-day trip from Chile to Miami ...

What now?  We wait until 21Jan to see what happens in Brazil? One week before embarkation?  Less as we have independent pre-cruise arrangements!

On 12/30/2021 at 7:57 PM, weinberghr1 said:

Brazil can allow exceptions . With the large number of Brazilian ports for this cruise some remote it is possible that the cruise generates enough revenue for governments to allow it .. Silverseas had only 3-4 stops in Brazil . 

Rio is a turn port so lots of logistical issues if ship can not dock in Rio . 

Options are many  Lots of Caribbean and Mexican Ports .

Could do partial Canal . Possibly but unlikely Cuba ( due to US restrictions)  Could head up to Bermuda . Could reverse course and go back along west Coast of South America and more stops in Central America  and Mexico Options . Probably unlikely as the toll for PC crossing is pretty steep . Could hit 3-4 US ports Galveston , New Orleans Mobile . Jacksonville , Savanah and possibly Charleston .

The ship is already deep in SA and Oceania 

will need to get the ship back to Miami for subsequent cruises snd they do not want the ship sitting empty in Miami 

As I said the other day they will not disclose Plan B before they are ready or forced to implement it 

Bookings likely shut off for many cruises today after CDC announcement . All cruise are sailing at significantly less than 100% 

Our options are sit tight and or cancel 

As we live in Midwest and expect snow and sub zero temps this weekend we are off to Puerto Vallerta next week and then to Buenos Aires on Feb 9 . As both places will be warm 

So we keep hoping the itinerary will hold if not Plan B is still better than staying home 

News from Brazil this afternoon- Extremely unlikely that Brazil will allow any cruising this season according to everything I am reading in the brazilian news- Anvisa has recommended all stop for the remainder of the cruise season:

Cruise ship companies have voluntarily decided to suspend new voyages in Brazil until January 21 of this year, "due to uncertainties in the interpretation and application of previously approved operating protocols," CLIA Brasil (Brazilian Cruise Ship Association) released today in the afternoon, by way of note. The suspension takes effect immediately for new departures and no tourists will be boarded until January 21, he said. However, according to the association, cruises currently in navigation must complete the itineraries as scheduled.... - Veja mais em https://noticias.uol.com.br/.../companhias-de-cruzeiros...

The UOL contacted MSC Cruises and Costa Cruises to know which affected travel and how passengers who had planned shipment this period should continue, and is awaiting return. Clia Brasil stated that the covid-19 cases identified on cruise ships consist of "a small minority of the total population on board" and that it seeks "alignment with federal government authorities, Anvisa, states and municipalities to resolve differences interpretation and application of measures previously approved with this new scenario". The association does not rule out the full cancellation of the current cruise season in Brazil after the end of this suspension "if there is no adequacy and alignment be... - Veja mais em https://noticias.uol.com.br/cotidiano/ultimas-noticias/2022/01/03/companhias-de-cruzeiros-suspendem-operacoes-no-brasil-ate-21-de-janeiro.htm?cmpid=copiaecola