P&O Cancellation Terms

davecttr

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

They've lost the plot

You have been reasonable

They have not

Yes, they have totally lost it. I accept that contractually they were not obliged to transfer and had I been so informed would have reluctantly accepted it. But to be told that they would transfer and then subsequently be told that they will not because my travel agent had been missinformed by them is unacceptable. I have asked my travel agent to express my displeasure in no uncertain terms and formally request that the offer be honoured. I am a veteran of over 30 P&O cruises but am not inclined to continue to do business with them if they will not.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, belgrano2 said:

Don't settle for a total financial loss bar the 10%. They are being irrational, and many are being given total cash refunds or FCC. Several ways to do this, if they are not being fair to you, which is a shame for a company I hold in very high esteem.  

Carnival have announced (check u tube blogs), that they are trying to reduce booked passenger numbers for the next couple of months by giving full refunds, as ships are being turned away from islands if over 1% covid cases, so want to reduce passenger numbers and keep running.

Remember cruise ships can make a profit running at just 30% occupancy, and just want to keep runnig until this spike is over.

Failing that, tell em you have symptons for full FCC or tell them you dont believe in vaccination and they will then refuse you boarding but must offer full refund.

Dont  actually even like suggesting that, but does seem you are bing poorly treated.   

Spot on. There is absolutely no need for anyone to lose a penny, never mind 10%, if they don’t wish to cruise in the current climate. There is a glaring loophole that many of us have spotted. Sadly some people haven’t and have unnecessarily waved goodbye to large sums of money. If cruise lines won’t play fair with customers then sadly people need to play them at their own game. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

They've lost the plot

You have been reasonable

They have not

I would be back on the phone and pronto and asking to speak with a manager and not 

one who thinks the other call handler was wrong .I would make Victor Meldrew look 

like Mary Poppins when I'd done with them and would have my future cruise at hand

should they change again. As others have said they want to play dirty then when 

nearer the time it would be "Game On "  :classic_angry: 

19 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Yes, they have totally lost it. I accept that contractually they were not obliged to transfer and had I been so informed would have reluctantly accepted it. But to be told that they would transfer and then subsequently be told that they will not because my travel agent had been missinformed by them is unacceptable. I have asked my travel agent to express my displeasure in no uncertain terms and formally request that the offer be honoured. I am a veteran of over 30 P&O cruises but am not inclined to continue to do business with them if they will not.

I’ve been feeling lukewarm about Carnival for quite a while, but when I hear of experiences like yours, they go down even more in my estimation.

I’ve got two remaining cruises booked with them, and will have to deal with them one way or another. But I can’t see me booking anything else with them for a long long time, if ever. Which makes me sad, as I was always so happy when I was on board. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve been feeling lukewarm about Carnival for quite a while, but when I hear of experiences like yours, they go down even more in my estimation.

I’ve got two remaining cruises booked with them, and will have to deal with them one way or another. But I can’t see me booking anything else with them for a long long time, if ever. Which makes me sad, as I was always so happy when I was on board. 

P&O have imo never been the same since the hostile takover by Carnival. The friendly merger planned with Royal Caribbean/Celebrity would have been much better, but that is history and cannot be changed.

I started cruising with P&O in 1997 after having previously sailed with Cunard and and on one occasion with Costa. I have sailed with them 33 times. I currently have one further cruise booked with them, in September 2022. Having reneged on their offer to tranfer my booking I had expected that the FCC which I had used in part payment for the (now) cancelled cruise next month would have been carried over to this cruise, but apparently not. P&O apparently considers it to have been spent and will only refund 10% of the total cost incl the FCC, which means I stand to lose a not inconsiderable sum. To say that I am disappointed with their attitude is an understatement, and I am not inclined to book any more cruises with them.

Edited by Denarius
Expaded detail
  • Like 3

I must admit, this sounds outrageous and I hope that you can achieve a fairer outcome.

Surely, one would think that you have a valid complaint against the cruise line here, because, by the looks of it, you have relied on their misinformation to make a decision, which at the moment is to your significant detriment.

Again, how does the company know that you wouldn't have travelled, had you actually been provided with the correct information by an employee working for, and acting on behalf of, their company?  What possible difference does it make if you are travelling to Europe or the Caribbean when neither policy is published?

It's examples like these which get in to consciousness of travellers and then the cruise companies wonder why "cruise with confidence," jars! 

Good luck.  Failing any improvement, I'd be on to the bank next with a chargeback claim starting with the original monies you paid.

55 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Good luck.  Failing any improvement, I'd be on to the bank next with a chargeback claim starting with the original monies you paid.

I don’t think chargeback will work in these circumstances ie it seems  cruise is going ahead but a passenger has changed their mind about going…

On 12/28/2021 at 11:20 AM, Denarius said:

I am due to sail on 8 Jan but no longer intend to do so. 

4 hours ago, Denarius said:

BAD NEWS!

My travel agent has just rung to tell me that P&O are not prepared to transfer my Caribbean cruise, despite them having said earlier this morning that they would.

She had been told that they would transfer to any available cruise; all that was needed was for her to ascertain which cruise I wanted to transfer to and to make the booking. She then rang me and we agreed I would tranfer to an equivalent cruise in Jan 2023 on which cabins and flights were available. When she rang P&O to do so however,  she was told that she had been missinformed by the person she spoke to earlier, and that the offer to transfer was only applicable to specific European cruises; Caribbean cruises were not covered. They  were not prepared to honour the offer. Furthermore, they are not prepared to carry forward the substantial FCC of £1940 which I used in partial payment; all I will get back is 10% of the total fare. Needless to say, I am extremely annoyed.

All they’re thinking about is their bottom line. It’s not as if there aren’t general health & safety concerns. Very poor!

we’re due to fly out to Barbados on the 21st Jan & I’m very uncomfortable with the situation.I spoke to P&O & the only options offered are go or cancel. 

it’s our first cruise & as it stands it will be our last, if I don’t cancel. 

Edited by Dgtrainer99

26 minutes ago, Dgtrainer99 said:

we’re due to fly out to Barbados on the 21st Jan & I’m very uncomfortable with the situation.I spoke to P&O & the only options offered are go or cancel. 

it’s our first cruise & as it stands it will be our last, if I don’t cancel. 

Hang in there. There are some serious conversations happening at present and they are very much on a cruise by cruise basis. Updates will be forthcoming.

The primary concern is to deal with the cruises in progress which appear to be falling apart. Iona, QM2 spring to mind. Focus is then on the cruises which leave this weekend on Britannia and Ventura. This last one is currently 'in doubt' given the problems encountered by QM2.

One thing that is clear is that Omicron isn't being picked up as quickly/as well on LFT as previous variants therefore more positive cases, i.e. those in the incubation stage, are slipping through the net.

Britannia and fly Caribbean cruises are not such an issue as you need a negative PCR within 3 days and the negative LFT on the day of departure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Hang in there. There are some serious conversations happening at present and they are very much on a cruise by cruise basis. Updates will be forthcoming.

The primary concern is to deal with the cruises in progress which appear to be falling apart. Iona, QM2 spring to mind. Focus is then on the cruises which leave this weekend on Britannia and Ventura. This last one is currently 'in doubt' given the problems encountered by QM2.

One thing that is clear is that Omicron isn't being picked up as quickly/as well on LFT as previous variants therefore more positive cases, i.e. those in the incubation stage, are slipping through the net.

Britannia and fly Caribbean cruises are not such an issue as you need a negative PCR within 3 days and the negative LFT on the day of departure.

This may well be true but is not my complaint against P&O, which is.....

1.My travel agent rang P&O this morning giving details of my booking and was assured by their representative that notwithstanding the booking conditions they would transfer my Caribbean cruise on Azura to another sailing. She was asked to ascertain which cruise I wished to transfer to, check availabilty and then ring back to effect the transfer. When she did so she was informed that the representative she had spoken to previously had given her incorrect information and that P&O would not honour the offer which that representative had made. I believe that they should have done so with good grace, especially as I am - or was - a loyal P&O customer who has sailed 33 times with them.

2.A substantial amount of the purchase price of my cruise was paid by using FCC  arising in respect of cruises cancelled by P&O. In my folly I had agreed to accept this in lieu of a refund. I expected that if I cancelled the cruise this FCC, being effectively money which P&O were holding on my behalf would be carried forward to my next P&O cruise in September. Not so. P&O regard this FCC as spent and will not carry it forward. Others should beware, you accept FCC at your peril!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Denarius said:

This may well be true but is not my complaint against P&O, which is.....

1.My travel agent rang P&O this morning giving details of my booking and was assured by their representative that notwithstanding the booking conditions they would transfer my Caribbean cruise on Azura to another sailing. She was asked to ascertain which cruise I wished to transfer to, check availabilty and then ring back to effect the transfer. When she did so she was informed that the representative she had spoken to previously had given her incorrect information and that P&O would not honour the offer which that representative had made. I believe that they should have done so with good grace, especially as I am - or was - a loyal P&O customer who has sailed 33 times with them.

2.A substantial amount of the purchase price of my cruise was paid by using FCC  arising in respect of cruises cancelled by P&O. In my folly I had agreed to accept this in lieu of a refund. I expected that if I cancelled the cruise this FCC, being effectively money which P&O were holding on my behalf would be carried forward to my next P&O cruise in September. Not so. P&O regard this FCC as spent and will not carry it forward. Others should beware, you accept FCC at your peril!

I acknowledge that the customer service which you've received there is bad. When I said "Hang in there", I was more suggesting that your problem should resolve itself to allow you to move... eventually. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Thx for the info.

• Like 1

If it helps..

I completed my Health Declaration today for a holiday which starts in a couple of days.  I must not have answered the questions to their satisfaction - some of the people we spent Christmas with have come down with COVID (we are still testing negative).  However, long story short, they have cancelled our holiday and will refund the full balance as FCC..

Edited by Bon0
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Bon0 said:

If it helps..

I completed my Health Declaration today for a holiday which starts in a couple of days.  I must not have answered the questions to their satisfaction - some of the people we spent Christmas with have come down with COVID (we are still testing negative).  However, long story short, they have cancelled our holiday and will refund the full balance as FCC..

You would hope that it would help, but I have tried (and failed) to point out that nobody needs to lose any money whatsoever if they no longer wish to cruise in the present circumstances. I have come to the conclusion that you can lead a horse to water…….. 😉 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bon0 said:

If it helps..

I think this is what I would be doing !

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 2

Let me put it a different way:

Carnival don't want people on board to feel like they are at risk and in prison from the moment they step on board. Nor do they want anyone who has any slight knowledge of a contact risk. As a consequence, these questions do give you a T-3days opt out of the cruise, if appropriate, for a 100% cash refund.

My understanding is that if you are relying on the close contact question then Carnival have no legal basis to ask for proof that another individual is positive. This is different to the situation where Track & Trace have instructed you to isolate as that is an instruction to you.

Naturally, I'm sure everyone will answer all of the questions honestly. You're not cancelling, the decision to deny boarding based upon the answers to the health declaration, and refund, is Carnival's.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Let me put it a different way:

Carnival don't want people on board to feel like they are at risk and in prison from the moment they step on board. Nor do they want anyone who has any slight knowledge of a contact risk. As a consequence, these questions do give you a T-3days opt out of the cruise, if appropriate, for a 100% cash refund.

My understanding is that if you are relying on the close contact question then Carnival have no legal basis to ask for proof that another individual is positive. This is different to the situation where Track & Trace have instructed you to isolate as that is an instruction to you.

Naturally, I'm sure everyone will answer all of the questions honestly. You're not cancelling, the decision to deny boarding based upon the answers to the health declaration, and refund, is Carnival's.

But they’re not refunding, just FCC from what I can see

• Like 1

Express is now running the story about cruise ships being investigated by CDC in USA because of Omnicron spreading onboard. There are calls from a Senator for cruises to be stopped. It must be getting near the time when our health dept look closely at the dangers of a major outbreak on a British cruise ship

• Like 1