Appropriate Headwear (scarf) for Women in various Mosque

Keata

Looking to do a Holylands tour in late 2022.  How large does the scarf have to be?  Must all hair (including bangs) be covered?  I want to ensure I am respectful of the people in the Mosques.

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 10:17 PM, Keata said:

Looking to do a Holylands tour in late 2022.  How large does the scarf have to be?  Must all hair (including bangs) be covered?  I want to ensure I am respectful of the people in the Mosques.

Thanks in advance!

I can't answer your question specifically as I'm not sure what 'bangs' are, I'm English and not familiar with the term.  However, you do not need to wear a tight fitting head covering with all your hair tucked in - a loose large size scarf over your head and around you neck would be fine.  You should also wear clothing with long sleeves and either trousers or a long skirt or dress when visiting Mosques...

Anne...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

No you don't have to cover all your hair - look at what the locals  women wear!  I usually  have a sarong but that's just because its multifunctional. 

Its probably more important to wear clothes that cover your shoulders, your knees and shoes that you can easily remove 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Israel, mosques require a loose head scarf and shoulders and knees covered. Modest clothing. Some places will give you a skirt to cover your legs.

Most christian sites  do not allow shorts on men or women, so capris are good.. they will not change the rules for you..

be prepared with a scarf in your bag, there are many unexpected delights.

patricia

• Thanks 1