How many cancellations today, or will?

NW Pacific

1 hour ago, bassmaster150 said:

Just to let everyone know…currently on Escape and it is 12/31/2021.  We are docked in St Thomas and free to get off the ship and explore with NCL excursions or on our own…no restrictions.  Also, there are 6 separate NYE parties tonight and they are all on…nothing cancelled.  We have been on the ship since Dec 23 and have made every port stop without missing one.  Cruise has been incredible…I am jealous for those going in the next few weeks with others canceling.  We are at about 60% capacity (per other posts)….but you guys going will have ships to yourself and that is awesome!!  Enjoy!!!  Wish we could be cruising with you!!!  

The Sky Princess just arrived into St Thomas and docked behind us.  They are letting passengers off as well so good for now.

• Like 4

I am so undecided about what to do.   I will be discussing it with my son and his gf this morning to cancel or push through.  They both work in a hospital, although not directly with patients, and my biggest concern is a positive test at the pier.  Since we are flying we would not be able to go home, although I wondered if we would be able to rent a car and drive.  Port canceling isn't as issue since it's only a weekend cruise and one port is Freeport which is no loss.  

I also did a scan for similar cruises later this year and the prices are much higher, and interestingly, nothing I looked at offered a sailaway rate.  We wouldn't take that anyway, but I always see it offered.  My bet is they got rid of it to increase the prices so people would keep the "cheaper" cruise they have now.  

2 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

If you take the FCC now and have paid out extra expenses like upgraded WIFI, shore excursions, DSF, etc., do you get any of that refunded if you cancel?  

Last time this happened (March 2020) someone here on CC gave the GREAT advice to call NCL or your TA and remove all of the “optional” things (prepaid gratuities, extra specialty dining, etc.) because NCL will refund the original form of payment for those within a few days. That way, if you paid cash for your cruise, then cancel and get FCC, you won’t have as much money tied up in FCC. In the event you decide to cruise, you can always add these things back in. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Last time this happened (March 2020) someone here on CC gave the GREAT advice to call NCL or your TA and remove all of the “optional” things (prepaid gratuities, extra specialty dining, etc.) because NCL will refund the original form of payment for those within a few days. That way, if you paid cash for your cruise, then cancel and get FCC, you won’t have as much money tied up in FCC. In the event you decide to cruise, you can always add these things back in. 

It is good advice.  I cancelled all of my excursions and will get my money back.  Maybe I will cruise.  Maybe I won't.  I do appreciate the ability to get a full FCC.  This makes me feel like I am not just stuck losing $1,000 (25%) should I decide to cancel.  We are going to see how it goes in the next two weeks.  Since we are traveling with relatives we rarely see, we have fun people to hang out with so we will never be bored.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, dad son team said:

my biggest concern is a positive test at the pier.  Since we are flying we would not be able to go home, although I wondered if we would be able to rent a car and drive

We are concerned about the same. We are driving from Canada, about 20 hours drive, not bad split over 2 days. If we test positive at the pier, we will turn around and drive home. Will we be allowed to stop at a hotel overnight? Eat at a restaurant on the way home? Buy gas? If that's the case, who is policing this? Wouldn't we also be able to stop at a nice hotel on the beach for a few days? Not that we would, but how safe is this "quarantine" if no-one is policing it? Couldn't we also just find a nice beach side hotel and quarantine there for 14 days, its still better than being at home for those 14 days, lol.

Hypothetical questions, we're really hoping we can cruise, its been 2 years.

Tony

• Like 2

Heading out tomorrow to Miami to jump on Encore on Jan 2.  We're giving it a go.  Tested negative late yesterday with a proctored test.  Insurance pays me $250 for any missed or changed ports.  We may end up with more money than we started with, so maybe it will all work out.  Good luck to everyone!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, disneykins said:

We are concerned about the same. We are driving from Canada, about 20 hours drive, not bad split over 2 days. If we test positive at the pier, we will turn around and drive home. Will we be allowed to stop at a hotel overnight? Eat at a restaurant on the way home? Buy gas? If that's the case, who is policing this? Wouldn't we also be able to stop at a nice hotel on the beach for a few days? Not that we would, but how safe is this "quarantine" if no-one is policing it? Couldn't we also just find a nice beach side hotel and quarantine there for 14 days, its still better than being at home for those 14 days, lol.

Tony

There are no laws around quarantining in the US.  Do your best to get home, protect yourself and others.  But you'll be able to do anything you need once they deny you at the port.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, disneykins said:

Tony

In your case I guess I would be most concerned with crossing the border.   As for hotels and service along the way, just do your best to limit contact.  Drive thru food, self service gas, etc

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, disneykins said:

Tony

You don’t say what state you are driving to, but Florida is absolutely open and free. You will not be required to quarantine here. You would be more than welcome to rent a room on the beach and hang out for as long as you wish.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, flcraigs5 said:

If the ship sails on the 5th I'm going.That is unless I dont pass the covid test at port. That scares me more than anything!

I have one box of at-home covid test. I plan to use it in the morning on the day my cruise departs. If it's positive, I'm not even showing up at the pier. 😬

If it's negative...let's cruise! 🛳️

• Like 3

Our next trip isn't until May 2022 when we're leaving out of Barcelona. As long as Spain welcomes us and the cruise is a go, we'll be on board. Holding off on getting our booster until Feb-March so it's more 'fresh' when we're on board, but we've done masked and maskless cruising this year and either is fine for us - someone else is still cooking, cleaning, and making me cocktails instead of me doing it myself, plus I have better scenery than the squirrels in my backyard.

Not going to start a debate with those who still think that Covid is 'just a cold' - but before you go bravely making comments like that behind the safety of your computer screen, just remember that those of us who work in healthcare will always see it differently. We're down about 30% of our staff due to positive tests and mandatory quarantine to limit the spread, and the number of positives has gone up exponentially. The vaccine is working as hospitalizations and ICU Covid patients are lower than last year, but those too are now rising in December (we went from 16 admissions to 36 overnight yesterday).

This is a snippet from a presentation I made yesterday at work to track our testing volume at the 3 labs I oversee. We do over 5000 tests/week between the 3 locations, and our % of positives is not a joke. This is for the month as a whole (with December being incomplete still), when I broke down December by week, the spike at week 3 & 4 put our percentage of positives over 50% at the 2 locations and over 30% at the other. Washy-washy people.... just because it's 'just a cold' for you doesn't mean it's that way for the other 2,000 people who are testing positive weekly.

image.png.ed9d74af180dddb05803c56ba9168186.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, bassmaster150 said:

Just to let everyone know…currently on Escape and it is 12/31/2021.  We are docked in St Thomas and free to get off the ship and explore with NCL excursions or on our own…no restrictions.  Also, there are 6 separate NYE parties tonight and they are all on…nothing cancelled.  We have been on the ship since Dec 23 and have made every port stop without missing one.  Cruise has been incredible…I am jealous for those going in the next few weeks with others canceling.  We are at about 60% capacity (per other posts)….but you guys going will have ships to yourself and that is awesome!!  Enjoy!!!  Wish we could be cruising with you!!!  

Thanks so much for the update and if you can find the time, please keep everyone here updated over the next 2 days too.

I have special interest as my wife will be boarding the Escape on Monday barring a positive test at the port.  
We’ve even upgraded to a Haven aft facing PH and are looking forward to spending most of our time on the huge balcony or in the room anyway but an even emptier ship will be an added bonus. 
We’ve made an educated and calculated choice to go ahead with our cruise and we’re not going to stop living because of this. As Warren Buffet said “be greedy when others are fearful”

Mavrik

• Like 4

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

I have one box of at-home covid test. I plan to use it in the morning on the day my cruise departs. If it's positive, I'm not even showing up at the pier. 😬

If it's negative...let's cruise! 🛳️

if its pos your better off going to the port that way you get FCC if you dont you will not get a penny

• Like 1

Just now, glennmartin said:

if its pos your better off going to the port that way you get FCC if you dont you will not get a penny

I'd rather lose the money that go through the hassle of trying to get my luggage back and having someone try to detain me for quarantine.

But that's not going to happen...probably.  🙏

7 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

I'd rather lose the money that go through the hassle of trying to get my luggage back and having someone try to detain me for quarantine.

dont check you bags in until after you test you can take them with you 

9 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

You do not have to give your luggage up at the port until after you test. The porters might try to tell you that you do, but you don't. We took ours through testing in October in Miami and then went back and gave them to the porter AFTER we tested negative. You might need to be firm with them but you can do it.

• Like 2

We will be cancelling but I'm going to wait until after the January 3rd cruises go out and the new rules for the USVI and PR go into effect. My feeling is if enough people cancel that NCL might cancel this cruise entirely if there aren't enough people booked to make it cost effective for them to sail, upon which time they will most likely give OBC as well as FCC. I plan on cancelling closer to January 5th for our January 8th cruise.

• Like 3

Not sure yet what we are going to do fortunately have some time to decide. We have a 21 night Panama Canal cruise booked on the Encore in April. Good thing for us we also have the Encore booked for the 21 night Panama Canal cruise in October so would just move the FCC to that cruise and if things clear up this spring may rebook the April cruise we would cancel or find a different cruise for late spring or early summer. Always decisions that have to be made.